“Top Quality Hyatt Place”

Hyatt Place Princeton
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
New Jersey
“Top Quality Hyatt Place”
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Stayed here overnight on a recent Saturday. I've been to many other Hyatt Places and am a big fan of their amenities (free breakfast, free parking, etc). This was my first time staying at this particular Hyatt Place, and my affection for their hotels continues after this exprerience. Since we were travelling with an infant, we requested a crib in the room at the time of the reservation. We did receive the crib, but after trying it out noticed that the mattress was a bit lumpy. We contacted the Front Desk, and shortly afterwards, a new crib with a better mattress was delivered - great service. The free breakfast here was also the first Hyatt Place I've been to where fresh oatmeal was offered - the other Hyatt Places just served packets of instant oatmeal and hot water. Lots of dining choices in the area - there is a P.F. Changs and an On The Border right in the same parking lot as the hotel. Rooms are quite large with a sofa, desk, huge flat-screen TV, etc. Rooms seemed quiet too - even though the address of property is on busy Route 1, the hotel is located back in the parking lot (definitely not on top of the road). The only issue seemed to be turning into the hotel travelling north on Route 1. There didn't seem to be a place near the hotel to make a left turn so I had to make a U-turn up the road a bit.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank PhilsPhan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chennai
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We get good Food, Good TV, and a Warm hosptality in the hotel. Hotel has a Swimming pool and Gymming Center as well.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Liverpool, NY, USA
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Arrived with family on a Wednesday afternoon.

We went directly to the indoor pool. Water was slightly cloudy, although it was clearly chlorinated. Private swim lessons were continuously in progress, which while annoying, we could still swim. Clean towels were available when done, which was nice.

After dinner at nearby restaurant, we returned at bedtime. We pulled down sheets to find they were NOT clean! Hair and debris inside sheets! Since it was late, we slept on top, with travel blankets we'd brought.

Next morning I put "change sheet card" on beds before leaving for the day at Sesame Place. We did not return until late, and the kids, 3 and 6 years old, were worn out and already half asleep. AGAIN, sheets were not clean! They had clearly not been changed as requested. So for another night, we slept on top of bed as before.

Next morning I went to front desk and complained. Desk clerk was apologetic and assured me that she would personally ensure the problem was dealt with. BUT, you guessed it, on the third and final night, THE SHEETS WERE NOT CLEAN. 0 for 3.

Also, on nights 2 and 3, a nearby business had its burglar alarms going off all night. It was as if a car alarm was going off under our window all night. While I can't really blame the hotel for that, it added sleeplessness to our trip. I know that I and several other guests complained to no avail. The local police did nothing. I just felt trapped in a bad situation, and the hotel didn't really go to bat for us.

As this hotel has a tie-in with Sesame Place, we expected the TV offerings to have a family-friendly lineup for young kids. But the TV had no Nickelodeon, no Sprout, no Disney channel, no Noggin. The PBS channel did not have the usual kid-friendly morning shows. It did have Cartoon network and HBO family, but most of the programming was not appropriate for a 3 and 6 year old.

While it wasn't a complete disaster (the towels were clean, at least, and the continental breakfast was very modest but okay, and the desk staff was pleasant) we were overall not happy with the hotel.

Fortunately, our vacation survived, and our planned excursions to Sesame Place, Adventure aquarium, and the Crayola Factory were big hits with the kids.

• Disliked — Inability to provide clean sheets for beds
  • Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank David1166
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Princeton, and chose to stay here versus the Hyatt Regency despite the higher rate, due to the business hotel like representation, and the included breakfast convenience.

When we arrived in last afternoon, the hotel was wonderful. It has automated check in, beautiful interior for the rate I paid *under $100 per night), large flat screen tv in the room with couch and a mini bar, etc. The only thing that seemed out of character was a worn out shower stall, and a limp shower head, and shampoos that weren't replenished the second day.

However the next two mornings, I was awaken by CRYING babies, and small children RUNNING down the hall way starting around 7am on a 4th of July weekend. I was traveling from the west coast... my sleep was 3 hours behind schedule... Fine, so the hotel can't control who stays at the hotel, but when we went down to breakfast 30 min before the time was up, the breakfast 'nook' was chaos... all that was left were a few yogurts and cut cup fruits. The juice, milk, breads, coffee, and hot waters were all out... we figured within the next 30 min, the staff would fill it back up, NOPE. There were kids running around the lobby, and the staff just seemed to turn their head and not even deal with the mess they were leaving behind, much less replenish the food. We didn't even bother going down the next morning... If I'd known that staying at a smaller hyatt hotel meant louder noise, and a misleading promise of a breakfast convenience, I'd have gladly stayed elsewhere.

I don't care about the view from the room, I expect a quiet night's rest at a hyatt.

I don't know who to blame, it's not the hotel's fault that small children were making much noise, but it is the hotel's fault for not replenishing breakfast when there's a whole hot kitchen behind the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We booked our vacation through Sesame Vacations to stay at this hotel because it was the closest one with a suite large enough to accomodate our family of 6 (2 adults, 1 teenager and 3 young children). We were reserved for a double/double suite that was to have 2 double beds, a queen sleepr sofa and lots of room. However, when we arrived late at night after traveling by car for 24 hours to get there, we were told that we were only guarenteed a room and not a specific type of room. They proceeded to put my family in a horrific room that had lights that did not work and a toilet that sounded like it would suck in the whole room when it flushed and worst of all it had just a queen sleeper and a double bed. They insisted they had no other rooms to sccomodate us and after paying a very decent amount of money (prepaid) to stay there, 2 of our children ended up sleeping on the floor!! This was an absolute nightmare!!! The next day we were transferred to the room we reserved however we were to be credited back 1 night stay for this horrific vacation experience. A week has now gone by and Sesame Vacations claims they have not heard from the hotel yet. Now I complained myself to Sesame Vacations the very next morning who claimed they made note and would follow up as well. I am beyond upset and I do not recommend this hotel to anyone, I mean come-on, I could have stayed in a hotel right outside Sesame Place had I known my kids would be sleeping on the floor anyway! I would have never went with this hotel if it were not for the type of room I had reserved and pre-paid for. WARNING, DO NOT GO HERE FOR A SPECIFIC ROOM TYPE, THEY ONLY GUARANTEE A ROOM NOT WHAT YOU RESERVE!!! At this time, I would also have to say that I do not recommend Sesame Vacations as well.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Old furniture and outdated decor; room is clean; right by the highway; nothing to see there except for the Princeton University.
There was no "Do Not Disturb" sign in the room, we didn't think much of it until the next morning we were woken up by cleaning service at 8:45 AM - very loudly! And it was a Sunday. Not going back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Stayed there this past weekend and was pleased with my experience. Nicely renovated hotel, very modern, right on Route 1, closest hotel to Princeton, and right on the same property as a nice mall with great restaurants (PF Changs, On the Border with great happy hour, TGI Fridays, Starbucks, etc). The staff was super friendly and the room was nice and spacious almost like a mini suite with a big sofa, desk, sink and fridge area, closet, etc.

The only negatives was the noisy ice machine outside and the bland breakfast (but hey it was free). Oh and they didnt change our sheets while we were there (two nights). Would defenitly stay there again though.

Stayed January 2009