“Scratch this one off your list”

Courtyard by Marriott Princeton
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Langenthal, Schweiz
“Scratch this one off your list”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Horrible price/performance.
Just over $200 bought me:
1) a freezing room where the actual temperature has nothing to do with the thermostat. It read 72°F, but it was more like 62. Raising it to 75 didn't do much.
2) a room in dire need of maintenance. I tried to open the window to let in fresh (and warmer) air and was greeted by a curtain with multiple rips.
3) a room in dire need of a thorough cleaning. Once I got past the ripped curtain, I found a filthy window sill.
4) 2 hours of sleep. The AC / Heater unit pings and pangs all night.
5) a chair that makes it impossible to work at the desk in the room.

On the upside:
The internet worked well.
While checking out, I told the man at the front desk about the problems. He took the breakfast charge off the bill. At least they acknowledged the problems. Let's hope they fix them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ravenshaw
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Princeton, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Ravenshaw,
Thank you for sharing feedback about your visit. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. The details you listed definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your stay. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

MaryAnn Kowalchek, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stopped for a day visit of Princeton and to pick up our rental car, rather than having to rent in Manhattan. The train ride was very enjoyable and probably much faster than going by car. However, be aware that the cab fares in Princeton are horrendous. We paid 27 $ plus tip from the train station to the hotel (not more than 7 minutes ride) and another 24 $ to town the next morning. Quite a blow. Too bad the hotel does not have a complimentary shuttle like others in the area. As it is a bit outside town, the only place to have some food is Ruby Friday next door. The restaurant in the hotel didn't look to appealing so we did not try.
Hotel itself is ok, it needs refurbishment like others have stated. But the room was comfortable and practical for our party of four. The staff of the hotel was very nice and helpful. We used the pool (rather small) and the fitness room (not great), as well as the guest laundry. Our rate was a bit pricey and did not include breakfast, so we had it at PJ Pancakes in town, instead.
All in all a good stay, I would go again, but only if the price was right and if I had a car.

1 Thank Liv V
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Princeton, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Liv V,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Princeton. We’re happy to have had you as our guest, and we’re glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay and found our staff friendly and helpful during your visit. We appreciate your observations and feedback on opportunities for improving our guest experience. We hope you’ll visit us again the next time you travel to Princeton. Thank you again for writing.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Showed up at 10pm for a 1 night stay. Computer system was down. They offered me a bottle of water and a cookie while I waited. An hour later they still hadn't fixed the problem and couldn't tell me when it would be fixed. Frustrated, I left and found another hotel. I am a platinum elite member, yet when I reached out to customer service they told me only the general manager of that hotel could discuss my issue. A week later, the GM still has not called me back. I left TWO messages. So, I can't tell you if this is a hotel you should stay in, because I never got to check in. But, if you have a problem, I can tell you they will not address it. Very disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Casey C
Casey C,
Thank you for writing a review. I'm very sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you encountered at check-in and I would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression. This is definitely not up to our standards and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional service you’ve come to expect from us. We value your business and your loyalty to our brand. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance. We hope you'll consider staying with us again so we can have an opportunity to provide you with a more positive guest experience.

MaryAnn Kowalchek, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is the first time that I can truly say all the reviews are correct.
Yes the hotel is old and need a renovating. (I think it's planned for later this year)
Yes the AC is loud and annoying.
Yes the hallways aren't air-conditioned and there's only one elevator
Yes the paint is peeling, curtains are ripped and the bathroom is just clean enough.
However, it is still possible to have an enjoyable stay here because the staff are the most friendliest, helpful people you'll come across, the rooms are a decent size, the price is good and the lobby is nice. Haven't said all that I would wait for the renovations before returning.

Room Tip: Wait for renovations
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Princeton, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
ZoeyBz,
Thank you for writing a review. It’s wonderful to receive your kind comments about our friendly staff and their excellence in service. I’m pleased to hear our team’s warm hospitality was a highlight to your stay. We appreciate your feedback and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We hope you’ll have an opportunity to return and see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

West Hartford, CT
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed three nights at this Courtyard Marriott on busy Route 1 in Princeton, New Jersey. I was wise to consult Trip Advisor first and request a room at the back of the hotel, away from the incessant highway racket. They gave us the room by the back door, so parking and luggage were a snap.

The hotel is pretty clean, although, as with chain hotels with an indoor pool, you get the aroma of chlorine the minute you step inside any corridor or the main lobby.

Room was clean, mattress firm. Old television was not high definition, but we were not around long enough to watch any. Toilet was clogged when we arrived (somebody flush a diaper?) and we didn't discover that until the middle of the night. It was promptly serviced the next morning.

Complementary coffee and tea along with stack of USA Today and Wall Street Journals in the lobby, but not delivered to your door.

Convenient to have a Ruby Tuesday sharing the parking lot. We could walk to lunch.

We would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the back, away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestHartford_CTTomh
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you stayed with us and we appreciate your business. I'm happy to hear that our staff was responsive to the maintenance issues you encountered and you found the cleanliness of your room to meet your expectations. Your feedback is important to us. We value you our guest and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again. Thank you again for writing.

Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2013

A typical Courtyard - good sized, clean rooms at a reasonable rate. Though close to Princeton University, you still will probably want to drive. The return to the hotel requires a U-turn off, over, and back on to a busy Route 1 - not ideal, but it works once you get the hang of it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Route 1 side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Princeton, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Phil R,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Princeton. We're glad you stayed with us and appreciate your business. I'm happy to hear you found our accommodations clean, comfortable, and consistent with what you’ve come to expect from our Courtyard brand. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to Princeton. Thank you again for writing.

Pleasant Grove, Alabama
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here when visiting Princeton and besides the location being close to the fields, the service was really good and the Bistro had a great breakfast selection with plenty of food. An older hotel, but they have updated the lobby and the price was right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Princeton, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Cheryl H,
We appreciate you writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Princeton. We’re happy to hear that our great location and excellent service made for an enjoyable stay. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to Princeton. Thank you again for writing.