“quiet, peaceful, park-like setting”

Princeton Marriott at Forrestal
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Charlottesville, Virginia
“quiet, peaceful, park-like setting”
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Very quiet, park-like setting, friendly staff, 10 minutes from Princeton campus. Room was clean and reasonably spacious. Comfortable bed. Lodge like common areas.

• Liked — quiet hotel, peaceful-park-like setting, lodge-like common areas
  • Disliked — distance of parking to front door
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Flanders, NJ
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I stayed here last weekend for the Hopewell Wine Festival and was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. However, I found this to be a beautiful hotel in a great location. Others complained about the front desk staff, I thought they were very professional and took time to answer all of my questions. There were two weddings at the hotel this weekend and I was a little concerned about noise at night. I heard nothing and had a great night sleep. I would recommend this hotel to friends and will stay here again if I am in the Princeton area.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Let me start that I have high marks for the Marriott Chain of hotels and believe that they have a great organization, but tonight....

What a nightmare. I drove from Cornell to Princeton Marriott Hotel & Conference Center at Forrestal (5 hour drive) and valet park my car (really no other option) and they moved it to the courtyard where it mysteriously stopped working. The nighttime front desk manager (Leah Lovelace) was of no help and had no compassion. She put me on hold and hung up on me, never to call me back. I had a dinner meeting which cost me $174.00 using their suggested taxi.

I have had great experience with the Marriott Hotel Chain, but this one was a nightmare and continues to be a nightmare.

In this economy, service is so important. Just wish that Marriott can make sure all their service personnel can be trained correctly.

• Liked — Forest surrounding the facility
  • Disliked — Management and how they handle customers in need
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
New York City
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I like Marriotts (longtime stockholder), and I chose to stay at this one for a Sunday/Monday business meeting. Getting in on a Saturday night was regretful, as the hotel had two weddings and a massive, all-ages lacrosse group. What a mistake! Loud and boistorous doesn't come close to describing the hotel. One of the two elevators was out of order, the walk to my room was longer than at a Vegas casino (felt like 400 yards, was probably 120- still too far with heavy luggage).

I like the Northwestern lodge look of the hotel but it's getting on in age and needs some cleaning- those rafters are dusty and dirty, which you oversee from the third floor as you climb the stairs to begin the trek to your room.

I found the room cramped (tiny closet!), the toilet required multiple flushes to function, and I turned the TV on to find the volume had two options: maximum loudness or off. Subtle adjustments from the remote or directly on the set yielded the same exact results. I headed to the pool for some relaxation but it was crammed with young, unsupervised teenagers and middle-aged beer drinkers. Did I mention this hotel is not a standard Marriott? I changed and headed for dinner- a business associate told me it took 40 minutes to get a bowl of soup! I'm glad I went out and only hit the bar for a nightcap. Though I wanted to watch the baseball game, one of the wedding groups invaded and overtook the lounge so I went to bed, to have loud kids roaming the halls until 1am, and doors slamming much later. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean, and the wooded view was enjoyable as I toweled off in the morning, feeling like I was in a 'real Marriott' again.

Saturday and Sunday I opted to eat elsewhere (at Bonsai Japanese Hibachi and the nearby Salt Creek Grille respectively) and by Sunday evening the hotel had calmed down to a much nicer place to stay. I finally got in a swim and some time at a nice workout room, and by the time I left I was forgetting about Saturday's groups and volume.

I'm still shocked that the hotel charges $10 for minimal (and sloooooooow) internet access. I ended up going to the tiny "business center" and logged on to briefly check email, and suggest that anyone not needing 24 hours of continued access do this and tell the Marriott that they need to provide internet free of charge. I'm sure the day will come, but in the meantime, it seems that every location in the chain follows different rules.

I hope this Marriott's management engages a committment to tell travellers about the size of other groups that are scheduled when making reservations. I would probably stay here again, with caution...but would compare rates with the Westin first. I found this hotel very expensive for the lack of comfort it provided. For a conference center, it's a perfect choice for seclusion but for the other travellers it is a less than ideal experience.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2008

We have stayed many times at this hotel, going back to when it was the Doral. We like it because it is comfortable and in a quiet location, away from (but convenient to) the University and town. The food and service in the restaurant couldn't have been better. The chef (Jean) personally delivered fresh-squeezed orange juice to our table. However, there were a few issues with house-keeping (and front desk). There was no shower cap in the bathroom. When we called the front desk, they insisted that there should be a shower cap in the room, but if not, then I could come to the front desk to get one. On day two, we left the room at 10:30am... and returned at 3pm... to find that our room had not yet been made up. We phoned the front desk and they sent a maid up immediately who sort of tidied up while we tried to stay out of the way. The shower curtain was off some of its hooks... which was never corrected during our stay. These may sound minor but seemed indicative that there was a glitch in management.

Other than that, we enjoyed the stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

• Liked — The food and restaurant service
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Brigantine, NJ
Reviewed May 26, 2008

When reading reviews, I find it very helpful to know what travelers were expecting from a hotel during their stay. What worked for a business traveler might be very different from what a family was looking for.

My husband and I were visiting Princeton with our 7-year-old daughter. We wanted a quiet hotel with clean, updated rooms, and a pool. We were very satisfied with the accommodations at the Marriot Conference Center. The staff seemed to be falling over themselves to assist us with any request. Our room was quite nice - adequately large with a granite bathroom and updated decor. Beds were comfy and appointed with nice linens and pillows.

The pool area leaves a little to be desired - it seems as though at one time the pool was outdoors. Later an addition was made to enclose the pool and a room was built over the top. This resulted in a low hanging roof that covers the pool itself; very strange. The pool, for some reason, was freezing. I contacted the front desk regarding the temp., and although they referred the complaint to maintenance, the pool remained very cold during our 2-day stay.

The hotel is several miles from the downtown Princeton area set in a wooded area with a nice bike path winding through the trees. You will probably need a car (or other transportation) to get into town or to nearby shopping and restaurants.

Although I cannot vouch for the wireless connection, my cell phone did not get very good reception in the room. As mentioned in previous posts, the television channel selection is limited and some channels are fuzzy.

Try booking the room on Priceline. We got a killer deal, especially considering it was a holiday weekend and we made last-minute reservations.

Stayed May 2008
USA
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Terrible Marriott Property. A bad experience from check in to check out. The receptionist could not get my check in correct. I had booked a room with concierge lounge and paid extra, she refused to honor it and told me it was only for Marriott Gold member. Even after i showed her my confirmation. The desk supervisor was needed to sort this out. It was cold outside which is likely normal for this time of year, but the heat in the room did not work well. The rooms were old, poorly kept and small. At check out they asked why i was checking out early, when i was not... they tried to check someone else out. They need better trained staff and more helpful staff. I will never stay at this property again

• Stayed March 2008