“Very typical, cookie-cutter Marriott; not my favorite area hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Princeton Marriott at Forrestal

Princeton Marriott at Forrestal
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Very typical, cookie-cutter Marriott; not my favorite area hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed at numerous hotels in Princeton, NJ (DoubleTree or CY Marriott probably being my favorites). This would rank pretty low on the list. It's one of the nicer hotels as far as amenities, but it has a few drawbacks.

First, this hotel is not really close to anything. You're a few minutes up the blvd from Princeton University, downtown, etc, and a few minutes more from restaurants and shopping outside of Princeton. But hey, the location of the hotel is one of the reasons I avoided it, and I knew ahead of time where it was, so I want dock them for it.

The property itself is a little dated, and a low structure (I believe it's 2 floors). The concierge "floor" is a wing downstairs, I didn't check the lounge out, so I can't comment on it. The room was small-ish, typical decor, nice wet bar area. The only thing that really stood out was the toiletries, they had the full line of shampoo, condition, lotion, body wash, face and bath soap, and a mending kit. I'm seeing more and more FS Marriott offerings only giving shampoo, condition, lotion, and soap. It's nice when the body wash and mouth wash are also available.

As far as the only "real" grievances I had.. parking. I'm not lazy, but the lot of a little far from the lobby. Carrying luggage across a large lot gets old.

All-in-all, this isn't a bad place to stay, but there's better offerings in Princeton.

Room Tip: Couldn't really say
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Pros: excellent staff, fairly clean common areas, lots of free parking, in a quiet area

Cons:
1) apparent black mold issue. First sign of this would be the awkward smell that is obvious in some areas of the hotel, including some of the conference rooms. Also, two visible clusters of mold on the ceiling of their main ballroom. Also, an AC vent in the hallway ceiling of the third floor was covered in mold. I would be wiling to bet that there is more mold that is not visible. My allergies indicate that there are air quality issues in this hotel.
2) leaking roof / AC systems in the conference rooms. Watch where you sit, as they might start dripping on you without warning.
3) no free wifi (about $13 for 24 hour time period)
4) rooms have seen a better day, which is true of many older hotels, however, the level of cleanliness is also below par. Stain on the bed sheet, pillow case, as well as hair on the bathroom sink counter. Downright nasty if you ask me.
5) pay to have your car valet parked, or don't even think about parking up front to unload your luggage. The parking lot is a good hike from the front door. I was told that parking up front is not allowed, because it is a "fire lane." I respected this directive, until I witnessed the valet staff park upwards of 10 cars in the fire lane at any given point of the day. Fire lane enforced, unless you pay $10 plus a tip.
6) the gym is small and not at all capable of handling the number of persons using it, especially when a conference is in town. Small and very warm environment will not allow you to maintain your workout routine while at this hotel. There is, however, a running / walking trail that passes through the property. I would recommend using this trail, rather than waiting for a treadmill.
7) the food being served is average-to-poor. Quality is average, while the selection is poor. The staff are great, which helps, but the entire restaurant needs reworked.
8) bar closes way too early, especially on Fridays and weekends. Plenty of places to drink in Princeton that are open later and are actually much cheaper, so consider going out.
9) uncomfortable beds and pillows.

Overall, I must give this hotel a "poor" rating, especially on the basis on cleanliness and air quality. I would never take my wife and / or family to this hotel for pleasure. You will survive a business trip. The overall feel of the hotel is old and worn out. It is a shame that this hotel is in this type of condition, especially considering that it has "Princeton" attached to its name. Corporate Marriott would to be happy with this place. I travel multiple times a year for business and pleasure. I typically remain positive, but am also honest. Consider this hotel carefully before booking.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HonestJD
Tristen M, Guest Relations Manager at Princeton Marriott at Forrestal, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our secluded location and welcoming hosts. I have passed on your detailed list of opportunities to our management team. We certainly appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continuously improve our product and service.
rhode island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel at least yearly for a number of years. Initially, it was very clean in all of the rooms and common areas. This is not the case now. Some of the rooms are tired and need updating... painting, changing chairs, etc...
The restaurant leaves much to be desired. The menus were dirty and sticky, as were the tables. The food and drinks were meh...... and not cheap!!
maybe we need to rethink where we stay.... There is lots to choose from in the area .....

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank cleonardo
We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I will pass on your comments about our food and beverage offerings to our Executive Chef. We will use your feedback about our cleanliness and maintenance to keep improving and we hope you give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you very much.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was my second stay in the Princeton Marriott Forrestal, and all I could stay is: It's nice and quiet hotel. The good part, is that you will seamlessly transit in this hotel. You will check-in, you will stay, and check out without even noticing. Everything will go smoothly. If you are on business, this hotel will be good spot. On the other hand, don't expect an unforgettable stay.

The bar on the first floor could be fun if you are bored, they serve good food and some nice drinks, but you should definitely with some friends or colleagues to have a bit of fun.

The staff are quite nice, friendly and very professional. They will attend to every single of your demands.

1 Thank The_Dr_MAK
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Took our family here for a 3-day weekend summer stay. Room was fine. Loved the spacious common areas, pool and exercise facilities. Wanted to give a special mention to the restaurant manager and staff who looked after us for breakfast both mornings - you folks are wonderful! The hotel staff in general were friendly, helpful and polite.

Only 2 minor complaints: (i) wish the bar was open later on Sat night - closed at 12 (ii) hotel advertised tennis available but the courts are closed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pros:
The staff was excellent and courteous, the facilities were clean, the hotel is easy to get to, and there is on-site dining & bar as well as room service.

Cons:
Expensive (even with a corporate discount), no free wifi, not incredibly spacious

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tristen M, Guest Relations Manager at Princeton Marriott at Forrestal, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our courteous staff and on site amenities. Please allow me to apologize that you felt the rate was too high. Our corporate rates are negotiated and agreed upon by our sales team and your company. Might I suggest if you return for pleasure that you look into our weekend rates. They are usually considerably less than our weekday rates. If you do return, you will be happy to learn that we offer free WiFi in our lobby area. Thanks again for your time!
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was expecting a really nice hotel when we got to the Marriott at Forrestal. The rooms were nice and spacious, but the bathrooms were average for a Marriott. When you turn the AC off, it felt humid and you just had to leave the room AC on 69 all the time so it wouldn't have that misty air. I was disappointed in the service that we received. I booked 3 rooms and one of them didn't get cleaned at all. The nice thing was the lobby and the area that it was located in, it was very secluded and relaxing. We stayed here to go to Sesame Place, which was about a 30 min drive to PA. It wasn't bad at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank letsgo79
Tristen M, Guest Relations Manager at Princeton Marriott at Forrestal, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that our hotel provided a relaxing, convenient place for you to stay while visiting Sesame Place. I do apologize that your room became humid when the AC was turned off. We have had an extremely hot and humid summer with many rainy days. Our AC units have been working overtime. I would like to hear a little bit more about the lack of housekeeping service in one of your rooms and do some research as to why this happened. At your convenience, please contact me at tristen.whiteman@marriott.com to discuss this further. Thanks again.