“Hotel is very good--1 staff member needs training”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Overall, my stay at Doubletree was very good except when I was checking out. The snobby Indian woman with the pierced nose ring at the reception desk was annoying and rude. As I waited my turn, she asked the woman in front of me if she would like some "cookies for the road". She handed her two bags. When it was my turn she didn't offer me any knowing full well I had observed everything--not that I wanted any--it just would have been the polite thing to do. Instead she gave me a defiant look that said I'm not going to offer you any. Either you offer everyone cookies or not at all at check out. Strongly suggest putting someone pleasant at the front desk. BTW, your cookies were hard and dry compared to the Denver Doubletree which were soft and chewy.

The Ice & Vending sign needs to be changed to just Ice.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2009

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback, and I'm sorry that one of our staff was less than gracious as you mentioned. We're committed to excellence, so please be assured that your comments regarding service, the cookies, and signage will be addressed to the very best of our abilities. Thank you again for your informative review and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.

Reviewed October 10, 2009

This Doubletree is right off US Highway 1 So., in mid-Jersey, a couple of miles from Kingston and a bit more from Princeton. However, it does not have the Princeton pattern of uppitiness or overcharging, while it is in a good location to visit the whole of central NJ.
The rooms are fine, large and well-kept. Service is good, and the cookies are warm and excellent. Internet facility was quite good, and well-maintained.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback, and of course we’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.

Reviewed October 10, 2009

I added $10 per night to my hotel budget and got $100 per night increase in accomodations, services and extras. The breakfast lounge was superb and the business center saved me a trip to Kinko's. As a Hilton Diamond member, I stay in lots of hotels and this one goes to the top of my list in terms of value.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback, and of course we’re delighted that you recognize and appreciate our value proposition. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.

Reviewed September 15, 2009

The rooms are nice and clean. The bed is awesome. Very soft and comfortable. The only thing I do not like is that the blackout shade doesnot close over the entire window, creating lack of privacy and letting the sun in when trying to sleep. Otherwise nice place. Restaurant at the hotel is good too.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2009

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and insight, especially concerning the blackout draperies. Unfortunately some rooms are susceptible to daylight infiltration due to their orientation, and I'm sorry that this disturbed your rest. When you visit us again please mention this issue and we will be sure to select a room that has less exposure. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.

Reviewed September 12, 2009

This was my fourth stay at the Doubletree Princeton, and I have to say they have consistently exceeded my expectations. The rooms are recently remodeled, the beds are very comofrtable, and everything is imacculate. The gym is decent and if you upgrade to the top floor they have a great included breakfast. I also like the attached restaurant for drinks with my colleagues. It's not a resort, but frankly I prefer the rooms here to thos at both the Marriott and Westin down the street -- and it's half the price!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2009

Dear Loyal Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback, and of course we’re delighted that you not only had another comfortable stay, but that you also appreciate our value proposition. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.

Reviewed September 4, 2009

All the staff at the Doubletree Princeton were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were so friendly and eager to help. To illustrate, I have returned to the UK now but my teenage daughter is spending a year in the Princeton area and various members of the staff said she could ring them if she needed help at any time, (even though she would not be staying at the Doubletree) so that she knows "she is not alone". How fantastic is that!

This was my experience:
Room: very large and spacious, coffee maker, large tv, plentiful towels, comfortable beds and quality shampoo/conditioner/moisturiser. They even supply make-up remover - something I've never come across before - but so useful, as this is the item I generally forget to pack!
Restaurant: The 'On the Bone' restaurant is attached to the hotel and is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Breakfast was great, cereals, fruit, yoghurts, juice, coffee or tea, bacon, sausages, potatoes, scrambled eggs or eggs to order anyway you want, plus toast & other bread products and selection of jams. I don't see how you could want more. Friendly and efficient service.
Lunch/Dinner large menu with daily specials. Great service and the food was delicious and cooked exactly as required. Speciality organic steaks and burgers.
Shuttle. This was a fantastic amenity and like having a free taxi. The shuttle can be booked to take you anywhere within a five mile radius and they come and pick you up at a pre-arranged time, or you can phone them. We used the shuttle for shopping at a couple of malls, for a trip into downtown Princeton to see the university and to go to Princeton junction to pick up a train to New York. On the day we went to New York, the shuttle took us to the train station and we rang to book a pickup when we were on the train coming back.
I believe it is also possible to visit Philadelphia from Princeton Junction (in the other direction).
The business centre was another great facility. Free internet and printing capability. I found this invaluable.
I chose this hotel because I wanted to be near shopping malls, Princeton and the station (for travel into New York). I met a family who had chosen to stay in a historic 'character' property, but were disappointed. I recommended they book the Doubletree for their next stay. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and for sheer friendliness and convenience, this hotel takes some beating. I shall be coming back over the next year and I won't look elsewhere!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2009

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for making our day! Your flattering review is most appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include Princeton.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2009