“One of the WORST Hotels I've Stayed in”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Stratford, CT
“One of the WORST Hotels I've Stayed in”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

First of all, let me tell you that I travel extensively on business. This was by far one THE WORST HOTELS I've come across in all of my business travels.

I will preface this by saying that I am a clean freak, but hotels just skeeve me. This hotel however, would have skeeved even the most laxed hotel guest I'm sure. Bathroom mildew that is not your own is just GROSS!!!

ROOM - #330
Room was FILTHY!

• Melted chocolate on phone (I cleaned it)
• Closet door was broken
• Outlets switches have NEVER been cleaned (I cleaned them)
• Don't get me started on the remote control...ewwwww!
• MILDEW build-up (and lots of it) on underside of shower bar and grout. I asked the front desk staff to have housekeeping address it and they never did. On day one, I accidently left my DND sign on the door. When I realized this at 3 pm, I took it off, went down to tell the front desk manager that they can go in and clean the room, only to return to the room 6 hrs later to a room that was, again, never addressed! When I again went down to tell the front desk, he response was "well you left the DND sign on." Are you kidding me???

RESTAURANT
What a joke!!!! Surprisingly the food is decent. It's too bad the staff just sits there and ignores you. We were seated without menus and were then ignored for 15 minutes. The kicker was the night that I had to order from room service to the ballroom where we were working. We go to the restaurant to put our order in around 8:35 pm. We were told about 20-30 min. Well at around 9:30 pm my colleagues entire order was delivered and I was told my burger order was still not up. By 10 pm I had the shakes and was freakin' out that a turkey burger was taking an hour and a half to come up. Seriously??? WTF??? I went over there and gave the restaurant hostess a piece of my mind! Luckily the banquet manager offered me some leftover food that was being put away from another function. It was pathetic. I was making a plate for myself off of the cart that they were hauling the food away on. I was so hungry that I didn't care. FINALLY they delivered my food. At that point, I didn't even want it. The hostess did find me, apologized and offered me a voucher for a free drink or appetizer in their restaurant. But at that point, the damage had been done. I was beyond pissed to say the least!

The staff at this hotel seems to just not care. When they set up our food for our on-site business function, something was always missing. Coffee set-up...no spoons. Dessert set-up...no forks. It was like having peanut butter and no jelly! Just enough to be so annoying at the lack of attention to detail.

The highlight of the week was that my stay there was a week after Hurricane Sandy ensued and so the hotel was overrun by 200 or so PSE&G electrical linemen who had come in from Illinois to aid in restoring power. Well at night when they would return to the hotel they'd hang out in the lobby and watch TV, drink beer, and simply chill out. That was fine by me. They were very well entitled. However, the next morning when I come down at 7 am to start my day of work in the ballroom, there were 3 empty beer bottles left on the table outside the elevators and the lobby sofas pillows were thrown on the floor. Really???!!! You mean to tell me NOT ONE STAFF MEMBER COULD HAVE STRAIGHTENED UP BY 7:00 AM? We were having a business function with surgeons coming in from other countries! Really???!!! You would allow the hotel to look like a frat party aftermath?

I hope I NEVER have to return for another business function at this hotel! The management needs to get it together if they expect to have pharmaceutical companies, or any company for that matter, book a business event at their hotel.

Good luck if you ever have to stay there because of someone else's choice. Keep looking if you are the one who gets to choose!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I would first like to thank you for staying with us; we truly appreciate and value your business. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to share such candid feedback on your recent experience at our hotel. I am very sorry that you were disappointed in the cleanliness of your room and level of service encountered from our restaurant. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay and leave our doors with a smile on their face. We will use your comments as we continuously work to improve our guest experience. We have addressed the restaurant issues with our food and beverage staff and your concerns on our cleanliness and presentation have been discussed with our Executive Housekeeper. We would love for you stay with us again, to allow us the chance to give you that rewarding experience. We want you to leave our doors feeling just as warm as our signature DoubleTree Cookies. I invite you to personally contact the hotel, so that we may discuss your stay in detail. I hope that next the time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience the level of customer service and quality accommodations you expect and deserve from us. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope to see or speak to you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was our first stay at the Double Tree by Hilton and were very pleased with our room, the staff, and the amenities. The front desk staff was very helpful, and we enjopyed the breakfast which had lots of selections.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SummerSojourn
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for staying with us during you last visit to the Princeton area, we truly appreciate your business. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms are cleaned to meet the Hilton standard before we allow any of our guests to occupy them. Our mattresses are from our signature Sweet Dreams Collection. They are specially made to ensure that you sleep as soundly and comfortably as possible. All of our guest rooms are stocked with Crabtree & Evelyn products that will have you feeling and smelling wonderful throughout the day. The front desk staff wants everyone to feel welcome as soon as they enter through our doors. We follow the C.A.R.E motto, which is to create a rewarding experience. We want our guests to remain smiling from the time they arrive until the time they depart.
The breakfast buffet in our restaurant, On The Bone, was designed to give you a little bit of everything. You will find everything from a make your own parfait station, to a made to order omelet station. There is also an assortment of fruits, breads, and breakfast pastries. Though this was your first time with us, we all hope it will not be your last! On your next visit, try our 24 hour business center or fitness. You can also try our slightly heated, indoor pool, which is perfect for any season. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon. (^_^)
San Mateo, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Broken closet door was the first thing I saw when I entered the room. There was a loud whining noise (water pipes?) at 1am. 15 min to get a cab at 8am. Restaurant staff not so friendly. Not coming back when I have to return to Princeton for work.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank pvcyclist
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello and thank you for staying with us during your last visit to the Princeton area, we truly appreciate your business. I am saddened to see that you did not enjoy your stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Here at DoubleTree by Hilton Princeton we follow the “C.A.R.E.” motto, which is to “create a rewarding experience”. With that having been said, I would like to discuss your stay and the difficulties that you experienced. I invite you to contact the hotel directly, so that we can remedy the situation and leave a warm feeling in your heart, just as our cookies have warmed the hearts and stomachs of many. I once again thank you for staying with us and looking forward to speaking with you. (^_^)
Houston
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here again in early September, third floor, two queen bedded room with a party of three. The pluses are still there: good service at the front desk, moderate pricing similar to other hotels in the area, clean room, working a/c (blower type next to window with wall mounted controls, loud when compressor activates - from the blower itself and not in a mechanical clunky way), effective maid service, sufficiently removed from Highway 1 so that road noise is minimal, thick enough walls where neighbors don't bother and vice-versa. The negatives are also still there: ample parking that gets filled up quickly in the evenings forcing one to park further back in the hotel, a separate restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner at prices higher than they need to be for the food offered, somewhat removed from the main Princeton township (this is the farthest hotel out in the area, which adds another five to ten minutes to travels if doing so at peak times). The negatives do not outweigh the positives by any means.

This particular time around we stayed four nights. The first night there was only one bar of soap in the room. I went to the front desk to request an additional bar and was courteously given two, making only the comment that I needed some additional soap. The next maid service we went from having three bath towels in the room to five, and had two additional soaps provided every day (as well as other toiletries). Don't know if the front desk mentioned something to the maid staff or it was the maid's own initiative, but she got a well deserved tip on our way out. The room was starting to show some signs of age. The carpeting was more worn, the beds not quite as comfortable. Still not enough to detract from staying here but something to note over the next year or two and see how maintenance is kept up.

As a side comment, what is it about queen bed sizings in hotel rooms? At the Hyatt Place, also in Princeton, the beds are advertised as doubles and feel as such. At this Doubletree they are advertised as queens and while seemingly bigger than the doubles at the Hyatt they were not quite queen. Perhaps there is a 'hotel room queen' vs a traditional queen sizing that I have yet to discover the specifications on.

I will continue to frequent this Doubletree for future visits and continue to recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Welcome back and thank you again for staying with us! We truly value your business and continued patronage! I am glad to see that we are still your hotel of choice when visiting the Princeton area. I will take your comments and concerns into account. We will be releasing a new menu for the Fall that I am sure you are going to enjoy. I noticed that mentioned the extra travel time when traveling during rush hour. On your next visit, inquire about the alternate routes at the front desk; this will help to alleviate any aggravation from traffic, as well as decrease your travel time some. Also, the alternate routes tend to be more scenic.

In regards to our Sweet Dreams mattresses in our double bedded rooms, they are the standard Queen size. Queen mattresses, much like King mattresses, are offered in different sizes. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff often work together to ensure that our guests’ requests are met, and it is our goal to anticipate your needs. Your kind words will be passed to each department. In regards to comment about the rugs, I will discuss this with the Executive Housekeeper.

Thank you again for staying with us and remaining a loyal guest of the DoubleTree by Hilton Princeton. Have a wonderful Friday and weekend, and we hope to see you again soon! (^_^)
Trinity, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here recently for work and it was only one night. However, the staff was extremely friendly and when we experienced difficulty finding the location, we called and they readily helped guide us to the hotel. Word of caution - we entered the hotel into the GPS from Newark Airport (only about a 30 minute drive away) and it came up with two (2) answers - obviously we picked the wrong one - which put us in the middle of a residential area not near any hotels. But again, the staff helped guide us to the correct location. We were only here for about 12 hours, so my experience other than the front desk and guest rooms is limited. The rooms are spacious and functional - all of the regular amenities and the rooms are nicely furnished and clean. The greet you with the customary warm cookie, but no paper at your door - there are limited copies down near the front desk each weekday morning. There was ample parking and the front desk gave us good alternative directions to avoid the main road (Route 1) which got us to the nearby restaurant and shop area where many students can be seen walking around now that classes are back in session. Would stay here again if in the area mostly due to proximity to other things and the friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HeritageSoftail14843
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for choosing our hotel for your latest visit to Princeton; we appreciate your business. The GPS directions can be confusing at times, but our front desk staff is ready, willing, and more than capable to assist you in making sure you arrive safely. When you walk through our doors, we want you to feel welcome and right at home. There is no better way to do that than with a warm smile and one of our warm signature DoubleTree Cookies!
Our housekeeping staff works hard to ensure that our rooms are cleaned to the Hilton standard before we let our guests occupy them. We have recently done some renovations with more changes to come, so that we can better meet the needs of our guests. For the luxury of our guests, each room comes with Citron products, which will leave you smelling and feeling fresh all day.
During your next visit, maybe you can utilize our 24 hour business and fitness centers. We also have a pool which is open from 6AM to 10PM. If you plan on going downtown again, I invite you to use our complimentary shuttle service; for the shuttle schedule and guidelines, please call the hotel directly and anyone will be happy to assist you. Thank you again for staying with us, and we all hope you return again soon! (^_^)
Hackettstown, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had a wonderful experience for our convention weekend at the hotel. From the front desk staff to the cleaning people...all were so accomodating and professional. Thank you to the staff for making our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Good evening and thank you for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! Here at DoubleTree by Hilton Princeton, it is our goal to make every guest comfortable and feel right at home. There should only be two difficult things that our guests face: how many cookies to eat and what time to get out of our comfortable beds in the morning. It warms my heart to see that we were able to make your stay so special. Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review. We all hope to see you soon and have a wonderful week! (^_^)
North Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My room didn't have an ironing board, no wash cloths had to call front desk, called 3 times for Iron board it seamed like I was disrturbing them. ( Lazy Bunch of Slobs). Girl cleaned room and left only1/2 roll of toilet paper. Another call to front desk. Restaurant Manager Joe was useless. Front door of hotel did not work, looked like a ire hazard.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank J O
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I would first like to thank you for staying with us during your last visit to Princeton. We truly appreciate your business. I am sorry to see that you did not have the best experience while staying with us. I would like to talk to you personally about some of the issues you faced during your trip. I am inviting you to please contact the hotel so that we may discuss in detail what happened. I would love for you to give us a second chance to create a rewarding experience that puts a smile on your face and heart. Thank you again for staying us, and I look forward to speaking with you! (^_^)