“Only a few details keep it from being a 5”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Warnerville NY
“Only a few details keep it from being a 5”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

As I rarely work on the NJ/PA border, I had little previous experience with Princeton hotels, and opted for the Doubletree based on a points-plus-minimal-dollars special. I was a bit apprehensive as some of the bad reviews here are REALLY bad, but I will always give a Hilton one shot to prove such things wrong, and for the most part I was happy I'd done so. The couple of glitches (mostly around food) were not enough for me to downgrade the experience.

Staff: friendly, helpful, cheerful and gracious, fully understanding how to give good customer service. I came in, and was promptly greeted by Brenda, who presented me with the double pleasure of a cookie AND an upgrade to a suite from the normal king on the executive floor. The extra towels I ordered came wrapped with a ribbon and a note both days. When I needed assistance on keeping some ice packs frozen (there was a fridge in the room but it had no freezer compartment) they were obliging enough to store it downstairs for me. When I came in late on Saturday and simply wanted room service, it was delivered promptly.

Room: Nicely appointed, furniture all in good repair, with a bar/seating area and a comfortable bed with crisp sheets in the bedroom. I don't really watch TV but I noted there were two and they both worked well. The walls were thick and soundproof. The A/C worked very well (I sleep best in a cool room). The fan was a bit noisy, but I consider it "white noise" and found it soothing.

Bathroom: Good water pressure and good lighting. A bit small, but for one person perfectly fine. Here were two of the glitches I mentioned: one lonely little earwig greeted me in the bathtub, and the decorative metal around the faucet needed repair or replacing. The bug was dispatched and I imagine they will fix the shower when I leave (I told them about it yesterday but it was not repaired while I was here.) I saw absolutely NO evidence of the dreaded bedbugs that people so fear these days; that bed was clean and I woke up in fine shape. (Frankly, that is why I stay at Hiltons; I find them exceedingly careful about such things.)

Food: here is the difficulty that prevents me from giving them a 5. The Executive Lounge (a perk of staying on the Exec Floor) is closed weekends, so I was given a voucher for the buffet breakfast in the hotel main restaurant. Except for weak and watery eggs and underdone bacon and sausage, there was nothing low-carb or gluten free. The head front person was very apologetic and at least sent back some bacon to be crisped up, but a little bacon and a couple of pieces of melon do not a breakfast make. And if I'd had to PAY $15 for the privilege (the worth of my voucher), I'd have been a lot more upset. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, the Kobe burger came without the promised coleslaw, but I was just too tired to care. (The burger itself was tasty).

I would certainly stay here again -- as I said, the pros vastly outweigh the cons. But their executive chef needs to step up to the plate a bit more.

Room Tip: The Executive Floor is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Traveling_Psychic
, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
First, I would like to take the time to extend my gratitude to you for choosing our hotel for your accommodations; we really appreciate your business. Here at the Doubletree by Hilton Princeton, we believe in the C.A.R.E. motto, which stands for “Creating a Rewarding Experience.” We want you to feel at home as soon as you walk through our doors. We want our guests to relax and allow for us to worry about the little things, while you relax and enjoy your stay. Your kind words will be given to the front desk staff.
The housekeeping staff takes pride in knowing that our rooms are cleaned to the Hilton standard. Every room is rechecked before we allow our guests to sleep in them. In regards to the small things you noticed with the tub, they have been followed up with our Chief Engineer.
I am sorry to see that you were not satisfied with your dining experience. I do apologize for this. Your comments and concerns will be taken up with the Executive Chef and the restaurant manager to prevent these things from happening in the future. I would once again like to thank you for choosing our property, and for taking the time out of your day to write this review. You have a wonderful day, and we all hope to see you again here soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
southern california
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is a decent business hotel. I booked and stayed on the executive floor. The lounge has very limited hours although the breakfast (when it is open) is quite good and well-stocked. There is a decent gym and a pool that one can actually swim laps in. The room is standard Hilton - nothing special but reasonably well-maintained. The restaurant attached to the hotel has a rather limited menu and when we went for dinner we had to eat in the bar they were not serving in the regular restaurant (around 8pm on a thur night). The front desk has some sundries available for purchase which is useful rather than having shop with limited hours. Traffic on Rt one to Princeton can be a pain and this hotel is not as close as some of the others right near the University. There is ample parking around the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with us, we truly appreciate your business. I am glad to see that you were able to use our amenities, i.e. the pool and 24 hour fitness center. The housekeeping staff checks every room before it is released to be sold, to make sure that it meets the Hilton standard. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulty with your dinner. Your comments and concerns have been passed to the restaurant manager. Thank you again for staying with us, and we all hope to see you again soon!
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

An absolute disgrace. My son had to delay his flight by 3 days due to illness, so we asked - with over 24 hours notice - to rearrange (not even cancel) his 2 day booking for 3 days later. They stated that as the rooms were pre-booked they cannot be cancelled and we would be charged for the unused room. This is not the sort of customer service I expect, so will NEVER use a Hilton again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
I would first like to thank you for staying with us; we truly do appreciate your business. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulty in having your reservation amended. Sometimes, when we have large group bookings, they are subject to certain guidelines to ensure that there are enough rooms and/or people to accommodate the group. This however is no excuse for the customer service you experienced. Please feel free to contact the hotel, so that we may better discuss the issue and see if we can find a solution. Thank you again for staying with us.
Reviewed June 9, 2012

nice large room, good wireless connection, nice pool, good quality breakfast
staff is kind and room was clean
nice choice of pillows
I will come back

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
First, I would like to take the time to extend my gratitude to you for choosing our hotel for your accommodations. We really appreciate your business. I am reaching out to let you know that here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Princeton; we take guest satisfaction very seriously and, with that being said, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. The front desk staff does their best to make every guest feel comfortable and right at home. The housekeeping staff makes sure all rooms meet the Hilton Standard before allowing guests to occupy them. On your next visit, maybe you can utilize our 24 hour business and fitness centers. Thank you again for staying, and we hope to see you soon!
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We recently hosted a family luncheon at the DoubleTreet Princeton and I could not have been more pleased. As an event planner, I have worked with many hotel chains, but have never seen a staff be more accommodating, prepared, flexible and customer-service oriented. For the first time in a long time while working with hotels, the event space was ready when the hotel said it would be. The food provided by the hotel restaurant was excellent, fresh and top-notch. The serveware, linens and china were much nicer than the average hotel.

All in all, the hotel made all 65 of our guests feel very welcome and comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel for a family party or a getaway while you're in town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
First, I would like to take the time to extend my gratitude to you for choosing our hotel for your accommodations. We really appreciate your business. I am glad to hear that your dinner was a success! Our staff, as a whole, believes in the C.A.R.E. motto, which is “Creating a Rewarding Experience”. We want you to feel special whenever you walk through our doors.
Our Executive Chef takes pride in her recipes and works hard to ensure that every meal is prepared with freshest ingredients. Our Executive Chef is also skilled with breakfast and lunch as well, for any future occasions. Thank you again for you compliments and taking the time to write a review. We hope that you will return to soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Staff was very friendly and I always love the warm chocolate cookie. But I came down the first morning and the gym was totally packed (all 5 stations). I ended up having to run around the parking lot for exercise. The pool looked great, though, I wish I'd brought swimming gear. Coffee in the hotel restaurant was good. Bed was comfortable. View was terrible.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank paulandsarahthomas
First, I would like to take the time to extend my gratitude to you for choosing our hotel for your accommodations. We really appreciate your business. I do apologize that you were not able to use our fitness center while you stayed with us; however, this now leaves a great opportunity to use both the fitness center and pool on your next visit. As a reminder, our fitness center is open 24 hours a day to allow our guests maximum usage. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon! (^_^)
Houston
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is an older Doubletree Hotel. We were on the club floor where the room was fairly basic and not very large and in need of some redecorating. Room was clean, beds very comfortable and good shower in small bathroom. Front desk staff were not particularly helpful, polite or accurate at check-in and failed to make changes to our checkout date - luckily when checking another issue the following day, we realized the date had not been changed. Front desk staff did, however, question if we had definitely told the member of staff at check-in rather than apologizing for their error! Club floor breakfast was fine - snacks at night were minimal. Gentleman at front desk during check-out, however, was great and extremely helpful. Shuttle to surrounding area - mentioned on website - required 1 1/2hr notice which was not particularly helpful. Had to arrange our own transportation during our 3 day stay. Will probably stay at a different hotel offering a regular shuttle service when we visit this area again.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the building. Rooms on the front were looking over the US1.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Katytraveller
Gina R, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Allow me to first apologize for the difficulties that faced during your stay. The complications that you experienced during check-in are uncharacteristic of our check-in process and these concerns will be given to the Front Office Manager.

In regards to our complimentary shuttle service, the schedule is made the way it is to ensure that we are able to make to most destinations and back within the hour. Unfortunately, due to traffic and travel time, we are unable to make additional shuttle runs between the scheduled times, however the schedule is under review to see if there could be another time slot added.

I would love for you to come back and allow us to right the wrongs you experienced during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I do appreciate your feedback. Thank you again for staying, and we hope to see you soon