“Hotel or Wedding Hall?”

The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2007

This is really a wedding/family reunion venue that is also a hotel. The lobby looks the part of a typical Westin but when you venture upstairs you may as well be at the local Holiday Inn. A/C never cooled the room down and the TV was substandard . You will park in the back 40 if you return after 6:00 p.m. or so when the real business of weddings etc. start. For food walk across from the hotel to the Salt Creek restaurant. Pretty decent burgers and steaks.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed July 18, 2007

My family and I stood at the Westin for 2 nights. The hotel has a nice courtyard and lobby; however, there were some issues. My family complained about the breakfast buffet. It wasn't to the standard that we are used to (especially for this hotel type). We also had problems with the carpet in our room being stained as if someone dropped coffee and nobody bothered to clean it up. I complained at the front desk and they said they would take care of it, but they didn't (or if they did it didn't look any different). We ended up walking with our shoes on in the room.

Another problem is that you have to pay over $10 per day for internet usage. Other hotels in the area provide internet access for free (get with the times Westin, enough nickle and diming your customers).

The beds were comfortable and to the Westin standard. The satellite TV shut down during a storm. Where's the flat screen TV? Whe we got to our room, there was a portable bed sitting in the hallway. Again, for this quality of a hotel, this stuff is simply unacceptable.

We had an OK stay at this hotel. I would not stay again, since I don't think the value for the money is there. There are other hotels in the vicinity that cost less and provide more value.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I booked a room within a block to attend a friend's wedding in the area. I called ahead to reserve the hotel shuttle, which I was told could pick me up at the train station. When they asked for a time I told them I wouldn't know until I figured out what time I caught a train on that day, they said sure, no problem, call back when you know. Of course when I called back to request a pickup they were booked and I couldn't get a shuttle. $18 for a cab to the hotel- no big deal. So upon arrival I requested a late checkout for 1:00 on Sunday and at the same time reserved the shuttle for our return to the train station so that I would not encounter the same problem. The desk clerk happily wrote it in the reservation book.

On the way up to the room I noticed a Starwood Preferred Floor- we are Gold members- why weren't we offered a room there? I made the reservation way in advance and must have been one of the first people to check in that day. So I went back to the desk to inquire, the clerk said that floor was full but gave our cards access to the club breakfast area on the top floor. Fine, but I clearly wasn't going to be offered anything unless I asked.

Fast forward to Sunday. We went to the lobby about 10 minutes ahead of our shuttle reservation only to have the next clerk tell us that we weren't in the book and did I know who checked us in. I guess it was my fault for not getting to know the desk agent better upon check in, but no, I had no name-- I kind of assumed she might be able to look it up in her system. So she called the shuttle driver and luckily he was still there and headed in the direction we were going. The desk agent was short and snotty and no apology-- as if it was my fault the reservation wasn't there. The shuttle driver was pleasant and apologetic.

Room was fine, bed was nice, pool was enjoyable, but in need of a cleaning. The lobby was nice. Hotel was a bit worn.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kdlong73
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Hotel is located within 30 minute drive to Philadelphia and Sesame Place (Langhorne, PA) and minutes to shopping malls, restaurant chains, diners, and gas stations. Priceline rating was 4-star, though it was more a 3.5 star with the pool needing some maintenance and upkeep and lobby tables needing more frequent cleaning. Beautiful contemporary decor and lots of outside light in the lobby and our room. Our toddler did not encounter other children, except those taking swim lessons at the pool; staff were family friendly, but seemed more accustomed to dealing with adult business travelers.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Stayed in this hotel for the first time last week on business. Parking was easy and at no charge. Room was nice but not exceptional. Hallways are long and somewhat dark. The bed was great...lots of pillows and awesome mattress. Restaurant prices were high, but then again, this is Princeton. Staff was great!!! Probably one of the best I have encountered in a long time. A good bet here for dinner is next door at the "Salt Creek" Grill. Walking distance. Great Wine list, Great Food. They had a live Jazz Trio there and it was really great. I did not experience the entire hotel, but it looked nice. The Forrestal Village is also very nice. There was at least one other very nice restaurant within watking distance from the hotel. I would consider coming back again if the rates were lower, but it was a nice hotel to attend a conference at.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed one night at the Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village to celebrate a birthday and to do some sightseeing of the Princeton area. The check in process was extremely favorable, we were greeted by a warm and generous reservation host and were upgraded to two club rooms upon arrival. The hotel is clean but definitely in need of some refurbishing. The rooms are quite dated and need a face lift.
The beds are almost as comfy as all the other Starwood properties - at least the standard of the linens are the same but the mattresses could be replaced with new ones.
If you are visiting the Princeton area and just want a place to crash ... this is fine. It has potential to be a good hotel but someone from upper management ought to take a look at the budget and get busy updating the property!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2007

Attended a convention in this hotel. Would look somewhere else, should I need to stay in Princeton in the future!

The front desk staff does as little as possible and always has an excuse (or blames the customer) for the problem. Their attitude is not only poor, it is insulting!

Had ongoing, repeated problems with key cards failing to work the entire weekend. Got told that I must've exposed the key card to a credit card or something else that caused the problem - in spite of the fact that I've never had this type of problem anywhere else! When I told them that this was the eighth time the key had failed, the folks staffing the front desk could not have been less concerned. So, I must conclude that this is "business as usual" at this poorly-run property.

Similarly, it took several tries to get a problem with the room bill fixed (at least, I hope it was fixed!).

On the very slim plus side of the ledger, the fellow in charge of the restaurant operations was personable and really took care of us. He was the sole bright spot for the stay!

In my opinion, the Westin chain should take a long, hard look and give serious consideration to removing the Westin name from this property. Compared to other Westin properties I have visited, this one was poor.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business