“So bad....”

The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I would like to express my dissatisfaction with your hotel. My stay last night was not what I thought it should have been. This was my first time staying at the hotel since it was a Marriot Hotel. The hot tub was filled with concrete. How can people truly enjoy their stay in a hotel with out a hot tub? Then even worse, the indoor pool was only 3-4 feet deep. I am well over six feet and could not swim in it without the possibility of injuring my knees. This hotel is just a shell of its former existence. So sad what it was and what it is now. I am very disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
FOM_Westin_Princeton, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I would like to extend my personal apologies for your disappointment with the pool area. While the hotel is currently under a transforming renovation, we have made no changes in the depth of the pool. Conveniently located in the village, Can Do Fitness hosts a much larger pool for lap swimming at a nominal fee. If you have any further inquiries about the pool, please contact service express at the hotel main line 609.452.7900. Be Well.

Reviewed January 25, 2010

As a fan of Westins, I was quite pleased to learn that my new company has designated this Westin as its hotel of choice. I've stayed there twice in recent weeks and been delighted both times.

The staff members -- from the people who work the front desk to the housekeeping personnel I encountered in the halls -- are uniformly delightful. Everyone is interested in seeing that my experience is the best it can be.

Breakfasts at the on-site restaurant Parallel 40 were delightful, with perhaps the best egg white omlete I've ever had. (I order them because I know I should, not because they're my favorite -- but the chef here could make a convert of me!)

Nibbles and drinks at The Latitude Lounge were equally well-prepared and nicely presented by attentive staff.

If hotel fare isn't your preference, it's an easy walk to a Ruth's Chris, an Italian eatery, and a smokehouse.

The one criticism is that the on-site gym has four treadmills but only a single elliptical -- my trainer of choice. But generally the fitness center is well-equipped and certainly well-maintained.

All in all, I'm glad our main office is so close; I'm looking forward to becoming a "regular" at the Westin Princeton.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
FOM_Westin_Princeton, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2010

We are equally excited for your return visit! Thank you for leaving such nice comments about the team and the hotel. Additionally it would appear you have a very keen eye on our renovations, the photo of the vanity displays the refreshed look of the bathroom area and in the bedroom photo you can see the new artwork, lamps and naturally, the Heavenly Bed! I will investigate the possibilities of adding the requested fitness items; I too, am a big fan of the elliptical over a standard treadmill. Be Well.

Reviewed January 1, 2010

We decided to have a quick last minute get-away with our two young children, and our friends who also have a young child. The rate that was posted was not what we finally booked, which was a bit odd. We were also told that they were totally booked on the phone but we were able to book twos room online anyway two minutes after we had called them. (?) We wanted to go to the Salt Creek Grill which was nearby. We thought the kids would have fun swimming in the pool - which they did. The pool was fine but there seemed to be an ant problem in the areas around the pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful and tried to get us in our room early. We were on the club floor which we were excited about BUT the whole club was closed, which they never told us upon check in... so no snacks, etc. The lobby was very nice with the bar, etc. I don't think I will rush back or recommend it unless there is nowhere else available. Also we were supposed to get breakfast and we had to go to the desk and get a coupon after actually producing the printout that said breakfast was included. We travel frequently and felt this was not our best choice this time.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
FOM_Westin_Princeton, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. As you mentioned the hotel has a wide variety of different rates and packages which you may book online at the westin website, select the "Hotel Offers" tab to see our current offereings. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced at the pool. The Westin Executive Club is currently undergoing a period of transformation, I hope you visit again upon completion of the renovation.

Reviewed December 31, 2009

My husband and I live in the area, but stayed here for a little two-day getaway. The staff was very nice, and the stay was quite pleasant. A few housekeeping things had been missed (no guide to the hotel/area, no cups for the coffeemaker, no extra pillows or blankets), but overall the room was clean and comfortable.

The hotel's rooms seem to be lacking in some basic things that I've come to expect from a Westin, though. In ours there was no minibar, no pay-per-view, a very limited room service menu, no bathrobes, and a rather old-looking bathroom (the water pressure in the shower was great, though). As I said, the stay was pleasant, but, honestly, I was looking forward to these types of amenities. As such, I will probably choose a different hotel for a getaway in the future.

(By the way, if I was staying for business, an in-room guide, free wireless, and a better stocked hotel shop - none of which this hotel had - would all be necessities for me, but I didn't miss them this time because that wasn't the purpose of my stay.)

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
FOM_Westin_Princeton, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2010

Thank you for your response! The team here at the Westin is delighted to serve our guests. Please accept our apologies for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay. With regards to the in-room hotel guide, we have just approved the final draft and are eagerly awaiting delivery! While the new television upgrade no longer permits pay-per-view, we have added a multitude of free movie and HIGH-DEF channels for your viewing pleasure. We enjoy discovering new items for the in-room dining menu or the sundry shop, please email suggestions to me directly at david.meredith@princetonwestin.com, so I may refresh our offerings. I encourage you to return to the Westin Princeton upon completion of our renovation process so you may see the transformation throughout the guestrooms.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

My room was nice to look at but there were several flaws: there were bugs on the window sill; I don't believe that the window sill had been dusted in months; the bedside lamps were too far away from the bed to turn off; the down comforters were too heavy and unwiedly for one person; there was no wash basin in the bath room; the basin was outside the bath; the TV did not get reception from their cable and the excuse was that they were expanding their reception from room to room.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
FOM_Westin_Princeton, Front Office Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at the Westin Princeton. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team so that we may prevent future shortcomings. I would like apologize on behalf of the team here as we strive to exceed guest expecations. If you wish to discuss your stay, please contact me directly at 609.520.6220. Be well.

Reviewed October 22, 2009

We were actually pleasantly surprised by the hotel having read some of the reviews here before we went. The hotel has renovated many common areas and the lobby is now very nice. Some rooms probably still need some updating but we were lucky in getting a nice upgrade to a one-bedroom suite which was very nice. There is a decent gym on site and an indoor pool although the pool could do with some comfortable lounge chairs to relax on after swimming. The club lounge is OK - not terribly exciting but does the usual limited breakfast and a couple of basic snacks in the evening; wine is available to purchase. There are a few good restaurants within walking distance (we tried the excellent Salt Creek Grille just across the parking lot) and many cheaper options along US-1. Princeton is about 10 minutes drive away.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to read your comments regarding your stay. Thank you for noticing the recent areas of renewal, we look forward to wowing you more and more as the transformation continues throughout the hotel. In addition to the restaurtant you mentioned, Parallel 40 has just released the fall menu, stop by and taste on your next visit. Be Well!

Reviewed September 28, 2009

This is my second stay here and I have to say it got much better. It's located in the middle of Forrestal Village, which is basically an office & retail park made to look like a downtown. It's very beautiful and well-kept but It's a ghost town there.

The lobby has been renovated over the past year and looks much nicer than the original. The lounge had plenty of seating and plasma TVs (which are now the norm) and a small bar. It was also not crowded so I was able to have a bunch of guests hang out in the lounge while we waited for the rest of our party.

I had also seen a bit of improvement in the service & didn't run into any problems. The rooms (or at least the one I was in) was the same as last time but It isn't that bad, just not up to Westin standards. But it was still nice and the beds were comfortable. The "heavenly" shower, however, wasn't heavenly at all. It just had two shower heads which didn't make sense. But the water pressure was decent and was comfortable. There was also and indoor & outdoor pool, conference center, and Starbucks right there in the lobby.

The hotel is within walking distance to many (expensive) restaurants. The Tre Piani restaurant was the favorite among the group, while there was also the Salt Creek Grille and a newly-opened Ruths Chris Steakhouse. There's also a food court that had a Subway, pizza shop, deli, and another vendor serving Asian cuisine. The food court was small but its good if you want something quick and cheap. Every restaurant had no wait and were all almost empty, even on a Friday night, just like the rest of the plaza. Because of the dead-ness, there was also lots of close parking.

The hotel is right on Route 1 and close to other corporate parks and a short drive from downtown Princeton. I think it's worth it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to notice our changes and leave feedback at the same time! As you noted we have recently refreshed the lobby and added more seating for Latitude Lounge. While staying with the hotel, take a moment to enjoy Unwind, an evening ritual celebrating the transition from day to night.

The Westin Heavenly Bath experience begins with the comfort provided from the dual head shower and then is enhanced with our exclusive White Tea Bath items by Bliss Spa. We provide in guestrooms: travel size White Tea Shampoo, White Tea Conditioner, White Tea Body Lotion and Tea Leaf Soap; the escape from the ordinary is completed by wrapping yourself in the signature Westin Bath towel. The hotel has taken comments like these into consideration while planning our renovation and will be taking some extra steps to make the guest bathrooms to feel more serene and upscale.

I encourage you to return, relax and renew on your 3rd visit with the Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village.