“Great Staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Staff”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I think Starwood hotels would do well to visit this hotel and have some of their employees in other cities learn how to be helpful like these folks. The hotel is not too busy and is very close to Princeton University.

The hotel shuttle bus picked us up promptly at Princeton Junction station, and also took us later to the university campus and back to the Station the next day. Incredibly friendly and courteous driver. At check in, a nice young man promptly got us the room and actually gave us his card to call if we needed anything--his name on the card is Dawan Turner-- when was the last time did anyone in a hotel chain actually take personal responsibility to ensure a guest was happy? This guy certainly understands what we all hope for, but rarely ever receive in service.

Room was clean and modern. Internet fine. Sadly miss the heavenly shower as they turn off the other shower head for environmental reasons. Breakfast and lunch staff excellent

Overall this place is great, not because of the facility, but because of the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nick A, Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Please accept our greatest thanks for taking the time to recognize our hotel along with one our associates here at the Westin Princeton. We are exciting to read that by going above and beyond our associate was able to leave a lasting memory for you and your guests. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to your return.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked this through SPG and I was very pleased with the value. We were there for one day only to visit the university. It was our first trip to the area. There isn't a lot going on in Forrestal Village on the weekends but there are two very good restuarants within a short walk in addition to the hotel. The hotel staff was outstanding. They were quick and couteous. The property was well maintained; the room was clean and appointed and the bed was comfortable. I'll stay there the next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor.com. We are glad that we were able to create a great experience for you. Your continuing loyalty to our hotel is important and we look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Used SPG points for this stay, and had a terrific club-level stay on business. Staff was helpful and friendly, the rooms were well-appointed and comfortable, and I took all of my meals in the cafe/bar area, which was buzzing with other business travelers. The included club-level breakfast options were standard. Overall, I ate and slept well, was taken care of, and had a successful business trip. I'd be back to the Westin Princeton in a second.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nick A, Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dagdagan,

We thank you for taking the time to fill out a wonderful review of our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your most recent visit and look forward to your return as our loyal guest.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had an interesting stay here. I'm an SPG gold member, so I can usually get upgrades when I check in. When I asked about upgrades I learned the hotel was full all week. Since I was checking in on a Tues I was surprised to hear that, but the front desk attendant was nice and gave me free wifi and bonus Starwood points to make up for the lack of upgrades. It was a nice touch and a good start from a customer service perspective. Kudos to him--the small gesture gave me a positive impression.

The room itself was fine. I’ve stayed at other hotels in Princeton and it seemed like their Deluxe King room was a little larger than the other rooms I stayed in. It has a functional desk area and a sitting area next to the bed. The desk has plenty of access to power, which was helpful since I needed to charge a laptop, tablet, and phone. Like many other Westins, they have a program that allows you to skip housekeeping in exchange for either bonus Starwood points (500 each night) or a $5 food credit. They have a coffee bar area that service many Starbucks drinks and baked snacks, so this was useful. My main complaint about the room was the bedding. It was plain bad. The sheets were rough and uncomfortable. It was actually the worst hotel bedding I’ve touched, which surprised me. Beyond that, I was a little disappointed at how thin the walls were, but there’s not much that management can do about that. The bedding however, they can (and should) fix.

On the last night of my stay, there was a 4am fire alarm. The local fire department was pretty slow to respond and all-in-all, it took 45ish minutes to get the alarm resolved. The poor night attendant seemed overwhelmed by the whole thing as he tried to balance communications between his staff, the fire department, and hotel guests. In the end, the guests were left “in the dark” (in more ways than one) for about 30 minutes while we waited around, went in and out of the building to ask questions, etc. The following day the hotel offered free coffee cakes, juice, and coffee to guests as an apology for the inconvenience. Apparently a light burned out and the smoke set off the alarm. Although I’m glad the fire system works, I still think some advance planning / training by the hotel management team could have prepped the night attendant to manage the situation a little better. I voiced my concerns with the lack of communication with hotel guests to the rooms manager and was pleased with my conversation.

In the end, I’d recommend this hotel to Princeton visitors. It has nice food options near the hotel, many of which are within walking distance (a food court with Japanese, Chinese, a Subway, local Pizza place, etc, along with a Ruth Chris and another up-scale restaurant). The rooms are clean and the work area in the hotel is adequate. They also had a nice focus on customer service, and their willingness to address even the slightest shortcomings made my stay more pleasant.

Green Features: Their program to reduce housekeeping (and thus, waste of water and other resources) is something other hotels could learn from. Let the guests choose and give us an option. It's nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cournech,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return. It was unfortunate that the fire alarm did sound off however we are glad to see that our overnight associate was able to effectively communicate any updates. Of course in the end there was no real emergency so we thank you for your cooperation during this time.

See you again soon!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I know many people have had bad experiences with the hotel. We experienced the opposite. Our room was nice and clean. Yes, it seem more like a 3 star hotel inside. I think it's time for a small renovation. However, . The staff was friendly. Convenient green logo coffee shop in the first floor. We had a nice experience over all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoy being our guest and your continuing feedback is welcomed.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Upon entering room, bad wet stain at entrance. Looked like oozy stain. Dual shower head only one head worked. Wallpaper peeling. Coffee stir outside room next door . Hall looked like hadn't been cleaned in a decade and note to guest on my bed from Michael Taylor, general manager was crumpled and stained as if no one had stayed in the room for even longer. Really bad and gives westin a very bad name. Ouch!

• Stayed July 2013
Nick A, Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
KajaGrace,

Thank you for filling out a review of our hotel. We are appalled at the experience you had just described. On behalf of the Westin Princeton staff we are sorry that this was the image of our hotel you left with. It is way below Westin standards an surely well below our own. We are happy to inform you that we are in the last stages of our shower head replacement project. All rooms will soon have our new rainfall shower head which so far have heard fantastic feedback from our guests. In addition a fresh letter should have been placed in your room as this is the proper procedure. Again we are sorry that we had created such a negative experience and urge you to contact our Rooms Division Manager so that he may have the opportunity to speak with you directly about your concerns.

Thank you again for the important feedback and we look forward to speaking with you.

Management

Travelers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Dublin
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Westin at Forrestal Village is exactly what you'd expect from a Westin. A reasonably sized room, big and comfortable bed, good shower, room service available (OK) and a desk to work at with high-speed Internet available (at a price, or included in the room rate). In fact, it's just what a business traveler needs, which is exactly why Westin is able to charge the room rate that it does. I doubt many holiday visitors pass by, and if they do, they probably go to the hotels that line route 1 rather than venturing into the rather odd "Village". Fortunately, although the village is bereft of most facilities, there is a good coffee shop just across from the hotel and a reasonable Italian restaurant (expensive) about 200 feet away. Again, just what the business person ordered...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Nick A, Manager at The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
12Knocksinna,

We appreciate your wonderful review of our hotel. Thank you for boasting our wonderful qualities to future travelers. Your patronage is very important to us as as your feedback.