“Paying for Convience and Location”
Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I really wanted to fall in love with this place due to its location and its historical significance. But I am afraid the hotel is resting on its long ago earned reputation and the convenience of its physical location to Princeton and the local shopping scene. In short, the hotel is due for renovation or at minimum a major facelift.

Bear in mind it is a historical inn, and the effort is there to maintain historical charm. Having said that lots of improvements could be made. We had a room on the second floor and from the time you get off the elevator the inn's ages shows. Window coverings are sad and dated, as is the artwork, paint needs attention and the air conditioning was not turned on or lacking all together.

Our room was nothing special, clean but not luxurious. My chief complaint was with the old, mildew smell the room had. I'm positive there wasn't a thing to do about it except tear out the carpet and refurbish the place. My bet is the other rooms were similar. Again the air conditioner was dated, loud, and annoying. The common areas downstairs suffered the same qualities I mentioned above.

All in all the inn and service were just fine, not exceptional or gratuitously awful. One point of contention for me I have to mention, although in all honesty was my fault: My husband and I were in separate locations and he happened to have both our cell phones. I needed to track him down so I used the room phone. I knew there would be charge, but couldn't find a description of how much. Well, I found out after we checked out on the printed bill. Ten dollars for like 2 minutes! I mean really? Pretty excessive.

Glad we tried the Nassau Inn, but wont' be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheTravelingSmiths
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear TheTravelingSmiths,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate you mentioning that your room was clean and that the service provided was good. We are sorry that we have fallen short of your expectations as well as ours for you. It is highly disappointing to read that you feel we may be in need of a refurbishment and that there may have been a smell of mildew in your room. We have recently completed a rejuvenation to our Inn which did include all new carpeting throughout along with all new beds and bedding, new HD televisions, painted every hallway and guestroom, and completely renovated our guest room bathrooms. I would like for you to give me a call at your earliest convenience to better understand your exact location in an effort to address any room issues as soon as possible. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. We thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I truly believe all the negative reviews are completely unfair. We hosted our wedding weekend at the Nassau Inn, and it was absolutely fantastic! The location in the center of town is unbeatable, and the staff consistently went out of their way to make it a smooth and memorable weekend. Our guests all had great things to say about the hotel...the rooms are great, the Yankee Doodle Tap Room was amazing, the food throughout the hotel was consistently excellent. I could not recommend it more highly for a Princeton wedding and hope you will see past these negative reviews!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BTTraveler123

Dear BTTraveler123,
We would like to congratulate you again on your marriage! We are so elated to read of your wedding weekend with us! Few things are more pleasing for us than to know we played a part in your special day. Our entire staff takes great pride in making sure every detail is laid out and executed so you never have to worry about a thing when hosting such a monumental event. We appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. Our Executive Chef, Michael LaCorte also passes along his gratitude for highlighting that the food for your wedding as well as the food in the Tap Room was to you and your guests liking. We hope that we see you again for your anniversaries and of course for anything you may have planned in Princeton in the future! All of our best!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The location great but other than there nothing to write home about..The tarrif is so huge that you think when you book that you are going to stay in a fantastic place..But i warn you that this is perhaps one of the smallest rooms you ever stay in New Jersey..There no basic aminities here..They live on the location and the popularity of the nearby University..

Room Tip: The eooms so small better i dont comment
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear kovaitravelwriter,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry that you did not find your time nor money well spent. It is obviously very troubling for us to read of your displeasure with the room and the amenities provided. We are constantly striving to improve and I can assure you that as wonderful as our location is, our desire to serve our guests and attain 100% guest satisfaction is what drives our management and staff on a daily basis. We hope that you may give us another opportunity to serve you again if your future plans include another visit to the Princeton area.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I hadn't visited Princeton in almost twenty years and decided to stay at the Nassau Inn given the convenient location. Unfortunately, this place has not had the slightest upgrade since I stayed here with my parents all those years ago. When paying premium prices, one expects a premium product, and frankly, I've had much better stays at a Comfort Inn.

Where to begin? My room was so dimly lit I could hardly get work done. There were portions of the carpeting that were rather 'sticky,' and the fan/AC unit by the window was so noisy I just had to turn it off to get a bit of peace and quiet. There's a charge for the slow wifi in the rooms, and the login process triggered security alerts in my browser that made me nervous about using it at all. I thought a wired connection might be safer, but neither of the ethernet cables beside the desk worked. The armchair in my room was so grungy that I didn't even want to put my luggage on it.

On the last night of my stay I decided to opt for the hotel restaurant, the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. Big mistake. I was pretty much ignored by my server most of the evening, and the food I managed to get was of poor quality and preparation.

All in all, the Nassau Inn was the worst part of my Princeton stay. Luckily the rest of my visit was excellent, so I'll be back in Princeton again soon. But I'll be staying at one of the hotels out at Forrestal Village: I won't waste money on this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank pds209

Dear pds209,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are happy that after twenty years you decided to return to stay with us. We are very troubled to read of your impression however. We have done extensive upgrades and a full rejuvenation to our property within just the last couple of years. We are very sorry that we did not meet our standards of service for you while you were with us. We would very much like it if you would reach out to me at your earliest convenience to further discuss these shortcomings and get a better understanding of what may have occurred. I can be reached at (609) 921-7500. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

The hotel is located right in the center of town 1 block from 2 parking garages. The Palmer Square garage also has charging facilities for an electric car. The front desk check in was very fast and friendly. The room was very clean, comfortable and roomy. The old pictures of Princeton give it excellent charm. Room service was prompt and courteous. I stayed 1 night for a meeting in the conference center. The food was excellent and the meeting room was very elegant. I would highly recommend this hotel if staying in the Princeton area.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Eric B

Dear Eric B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. Our Front Desk staff was very happy to be mentioned in such a kind way! We are thrilled that while visiting us along with a meeting that you found the meeting room and our food provided to be so excellent. We have the highest standards of service and we all take pleasure in hearing feedback such as yours! We hope that your future plans will include another visit to the Nassau Inn! Please feel free to reach out to me at (609) 921-7500 if or when you do decide to return!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel, located in Palmer Square, screams PRINCETON. It is is in the center of downtown a block or two from the main entrance to the University. Although not luxurious and a bit dated, the rooms have charm and exude Princeton history from every angle. Aside from the great location, the real reason you want to stay here is the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. Yes, a famous battle that turned the tide of the Revolutionary War was fought and won on the Princeton Campus. It's here that you'll find old wooden tables with initials carved in them and preppie types wearing tweed blazers and orange and black, rep ties. You'll also find a wall with photographs of famous Princeton alums: Jimmy Stewart, Ralph Nader, Adlai Stevenson, and representatives of the DuPont and Rockefeller families, just to name a few. Two women are so honored: Brooke Shields and (you guessed it!) Michelle Obama.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear maimonChicago,
We would like to thank you for your very kind feedback. Our central location is unmatched and we appreciate that you found our rooms to be charming and so fittingly Princetonian. We are so happy that you have such an appreciation for Princeton’s rich history and that you found the Yankee Doodle Tap Room to be a great bar and restaurant that properly honors its past while accommodating the people of Princeton’s fine present. We hope that if your future plans include another visit to the Princeton area that you will once again choose to stay with us at the Nassau Inn.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We read some of the reviews of this place and were leery of staying at the Nassau Inn for a wedding. Complaints about pkg are unfounded as it is a city environment and one should not expect pkg at the door... however, a parking garage was just a half a block away. Front desk staff were friendly, helpful, and polite. The place was clean and seemingly well maintained. The bar has a few older tables where, apparently, guests are allowed to carve their names into the wood, but that brought a feeling of comfort and charm, and was not offensive to me. The wedding food was tasty and better than some restaurants with good proportions. Hallways were quiet. Brunch in the tavern was also enjoyable. Location in the center of an outdoor shopping area was great fun, but costly as I hit a lot of the stores with credit cards in hand! :) I would willingly stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a suite which gives you an extra room with pullout sofa and extra tv.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen K

Dear Karen K,
We truly appreciate your kind words with regard to your recent visit while attending a wedding at the Nassau Inn. We thank you for taking the time to share your perception of our Inn. Our staff is always so grateful to be recognized in such a positive way. We are happy that with all the goings on of a wedding that you had enough time to enjoy many of the things that our wonderful location in the heart of Palmer Square, Princeton provides. The Yankee Doodle Tap Room has been a cornerstone of Princeton for locals, alumni and vacationers for generations and continues to offer up fine food and comfort that you so kindly described it as. We hope that you do return again, perhaps for a little weekend getaway to just relax and enjoy the rest of all the things Princeton has to offer (our staff is always happy to point out some of the lesser known gems of this great town!). If your future plans do include another visit please feel free to check us out on Facebook, Twitter & FourSqure for our current promotions for the Inn & Tap Room! We hope to see you again soon!