“An hisrotic inn conveniently located in the heart of Princeton”
Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were traveling to the area and the Nassau Inn was recommended to me by a local as an alternative to another night's stay in Manhattan, and I am quite happy that we took our friend up on his suggestion! Although the accomodations were definitely not five-star, it was nonetheless a pleasure it was to stay here and enjoy all that Palmer Square and downtown Princeton have to offer. While our room was comfortable and clean, I would only suggest that it costs just a few cents to include conditioner with the shampoo, body wash and lotion in the bathrooms. That small investment would go a long way toward guest satisfaction. All in all, I would still stay here again on a future visit to Princeton.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Kevin R,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are very happy that you chose to accept the recommendation of your friend to stay with us here in downtown Princeton. We are pleased to read that you found your room in good standing as well as comfortable. Amenities provided in your room should always include body wash and lotion. In an effort to ascertain what may have occurred that these items were not in your room please at your convenience, give me a call at (609) 921-7500. We thank you again for your kind and insightful review.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

What was once a first class property has grown tired and lazy. The couldn't-be-more-convenient location is wonderful, but service is bad, food so-so, and the facility just generally in need of a major overhaul. The dining room, which back in the day was once one of the better dining spots in towns, has been sectioned off and rented out as retail , leaving only the cave-like bar as the only food service on site. Just another sign of decline and indifference. Rooms are on par with the local Hampton Inn, but at Westin prices. If you want to be able to walk to your children's dorms, maybe it's worth it -- otherwise, take a pass and drive the couple of miles to a facility where the owners actually give a hoot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bruce M

Dear Bruce M, Our location is wonderful with regard to Princeton University and the general downtown area and Palmer Square, and we thank you for making mention of this. However, we are disappointed with your view of the rest of our Inn. Our recent rejuvenation to the property has brought a great amount of positive feedback from guests past and present and we are sorry that you do not find these improvements to your liking. The Yankee Doodle Tap Room has been part of the Nassau Inn for generations and remains a Princeton cornerstone gathering place for our guests and Princetonians alike, recently we’ve added to it an outdoor patio for dining and this too has been well received. We appreciate that this may not be what you prefer but make no mistake; there is no indifference or laziness towards our beloved Nassau Inn and Yankee Doodle Tap Room. We are always listening to our guests and always improving our service and accommodations. If your plans in the future include another visit to the Princeton area we hope that you will reconsider and once again stay with us. I can be reached for further discussion or perhaps future arrangements at (609) 921-7500.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

located at the square, from a walking distance to the university. seems a bit run-down. not an excellent value for money, good location though. the building stands since 1756, the old historic charm is still visible.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear aviary,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts of our historic inn. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with our location. We are sorry to read that you felt Nassau Inn was a bit run down, we recently completed a full-scale rejuvenation to the property and it has been received very well. I would like you to contact me at your convenience so we can better understand your vantage point and address areas of concern.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This place is right in the middle of town, on the square, and a minute walk to the university. The reception area is dark and small, but the rest of the lobby rooms are pleasant and inviting. My room was tiny, but recently remodeled, and well-kept. It was quiet and the bed was reasonably comfortable. I couldn't get a Verizon signal in the room, but it was OK outside in their garden. There was a small desk in the room, and a smaller dresser in the closet, but the sliding closet door blocked the drawers from opening. It's fine for visiting the kids or your colleagues at the college for a day or two, or for being in the middle of a quaint old town.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear CaTraveler7777,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience while staying at the Nassau Inn. Our location is a wonderful benefit for our guests and we hope you were able to make the most of it while visiting. Our rejuvenated rooms have been received with positive feedback and we are happy that you found it to be well-kept, quiet and furnished with a comfortable bed. We have a variation of room types to choose from and perhaps upon your next visit we can place you in one that you find the size to be satisfactory. At your convenience, please contact me so we can inspect the room you were in as we have unsuccessfully searched for a room where the closet doors kept the dresser from opening. Our apologies that this was your experience with us, the room is certainly not designed to operate in such a way. I will look forward to hearing from you in the meantime.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at the Nassau Inn while visiting Princeton for a workshop and didn't enjoy the experience. My room was cramped -- the double bed (I had paid for queen) barely fit, the closet was blocked by a token chair placed in the corner, there was no desk, etc. -- so much so that I felt like I was in a budget hotel in Manhattan. The bathroom had old, utilitarian fixtures, and there was no hot water in the shower. Despite reporting the hot water problem twice over two days, it was never fixed, and they eventually had to switch me to another room (without any other compensation offered for my two days of cold showers).

The room to which I was moved was at least double the size of my original room, with two double beds, a desk, and a much-improved bathroom. That room was perfectly pleasant and more what I would have expected for the rates they charge. The fact that they put guests who pay the same amount in rooms of such vastly different quality implies to me that the focus is not on running a quality hotel, but on wringing every extra dollar out of their exclusive location near the Princeton campus. This left a sour taste in my mouth; so, despite the convenient location, I will choose to stay elsewhere next time I visit Princeton.

Room Tip: Rooms of the same price are of vastly different quality. My original room across from the elevator...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Michael B,
We appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with your feedback. Although you were moved to another room that you found to be more suitable, we apologize that your original room did not meet your expectations and leave you fully satisfied. This should not have been an issue and I can understand that you may not want to return to the Nassau Inn with such a substandard first impression. We do ask that you consider staying with us again when visiting the Princeton area, as we are confident that we can exceed your expectations moving forward. Prior to a return to Princeton please feel free to call me so we can arrange for a more comfortable stay for you.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

But now it's so-so. I've stayed there a number of times. Once they gave me the smallest room in the history of creation, or at least in Princeton. This time the room was spacious, but little things were bothersome. Like asking for a quiet room and being put directly above the street. Plus, the people at the front desk don't volunteer that there is an access number to charge your internet to the room, plus it changes every day. Annoying! Or the coffee machine not being cleaned. The restaurant is so-so. Perfectly fine hotel and in a central location, but I suspect you can get more for your Princeton dollar.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Winstonthecat1,
We are happy to read that you enjoyed your more spacious room now that our rejuvenation project is complete. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and it seems in some other areas we have fallen short of this expectation. We apologize that the location of your room was not to your liking and that the charge for internet was not mentioned to you at the time of acquiring your access code as it should have been. Prior to your return please feel free to call me at (609) 921-7500 so we can better serve you and accommodate any requests you may have. Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

For the first time, we brought our dog to stay at the Nassau Inn. Certainly the Inn does not cater to dogs but they treated him with such love and treated us with kindness. My dog was happy to be there and they even gave him some dog treats and a dog bed. The room was perfect for us and we were very happy. Great spot- again! We will be back in June. Thanks again to the staff.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Vacation209, We are delighted that you, your family and your dog had such a pleasant visit with us! Dogs are a big hit with our staff, we love having them around. Although it has proven difficult to obtain feedback from them, we gather that they tend to enjoy our accommodations. We are equally satisfied that you and your family also found our staff and accommodations to your liking and we very much look forward to your return in June.