“Friendly Staff”
Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Nassau Inn while attending FBI conference for five nights. When I checked in the staff "appologized" because there was a problem with my room and they would be putting me in a suite at no extra charge. Who am I to argue. They room, while dated, was very nice and clean with a very comfortable King bed. however there was a problem with the shower, no hot water and after the second day they moved me very appologetically to another suite! This suite, the George Washington suite was incredible. Obviously recently updated and very very nice. Great bathroom and completely updated. I totally enjoyed my stay at a very nice historic hotel with a great staff. It was my first visit to Princeton and can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear golfncop,
Thank you for such a thoughtful and kind review of our Nassau Inn. We are delighted that you left our Inn with such a positive impression of our staff and your room that you were inclined days later to go out of your way to share with everyone on Trip Advisor. Our rejuvenation is ongoing and it is so encouraging for us to read of your pleasure with not only our cleanliness but also the comfortable beds and completely revamped bathrooms. We have carefully crafted a plan of action in order to address the common likings of our guests. Our staff is also rejuvenated every time they read such kind feedback. Thank you again, and we look forward to your return. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to arrange your reservation.

There are newer reviews for Nassau Inn

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this Inn for 3 nights whilst attending the Wedding of my Nephew. Although at first glance the hotel seemed luxurious, I soon found out that they were very sharp. My bags on arrival were brought up by the doorman(?) but thereafter the front desk seemed to double up as bell boys. The room was large and very comfortable with two Queen-sized beds, a large chest of drawers, a large TV with plenty of channels and plenty of hanging space. The bathroom was rather poky and the bath was very small. Thank goodness my 6'2" husband wasn't with me - he would never have fitted in.
I had to go back downstairs to fill in a form and pay a $25 deposit for a Safe Key when having travelled all around the world, even the smallest hotel on the smallest Greek Island had a digital safe. This meant I was continually concerned about losing the key and or leaving it in the room. The only place for free Wi Fi was in the lobby - again something I think is very sharp, although on payhing a hefty fee you could plug your laptop into the TV. I also found that my mobile phone didn't work in the rooms - was there some kind of firewall built in to the hotel? There was a 24hr Business Centre, but being a solo traveller, it meant that I had to lock up my room each time I wanted to exchange emails or check my flight times etc.
On my first night, I had a bath but instead of the water running out, black soot came up out of the plughole. I phoned housekeeping and they sent a plumber up straight away. Apparently this was happening to the next door room as well and was due to a blocked drain. After much to-ing and fro-ing the problem was sorted and he said he would send up housekeeping to clean the bath. I requested it be postponed until the next morning since it was after 11.00pm and I was very tired. However, my room was not cleaned until after 1.00pm the next day and my personal face cloth had somehow managed to be taken away with all the other towels. I reported this to Housekeeping but nothing was done about it. I think some sort of apology and/or recompense would have been in order.
I paid for my room with cash which totally flummoxed the reception staff.
I also asked if it would be possible to keep my room for a couple of extra hours since my plane was not due to take of until early evening, however I was informed that I would have to pay for an extra day. (They did store my luggage however, and were very helpful when I needed to access it during the day prior to departure.) However, when another member of the party requested that their room be available early due to arriving early on the Red Eye and needing sleep, they were informed that this was not possible since the cleaners did not start work until 11.00am when guests had checked out. But I saw many guests checking out earlier than that.I do think though, that breakfast should have been included in the price.
The location of the hotel was excellent, right in the center of the square. The Tap Bar was very old world with wooden furniture and several TV's screening live sport.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Dear Caroline D,
Thank you for your kind remarks in regards to our rooms. We are happy to read that the room’s size and comfort was to your liking. It was very kind of you to mention the large flat screen TV with an abundance of channel choices and that you had a significant amount of room to place your belongings. During your time with us, you made reference to several points of your contention that we would like to speak to further. Mentioned first, is the deposit fee for the safe key. I believe this may have been a miscommunication as no deposit is taken for the key. While it is a physical key and there is a charge if it is not returned, I can assure you no money exchanges hands with simply receiving the key. Our apologies if this was not relayed to you properly. As you highlighted in your review, that our front desk agent became “flummoxed” when you paid in cash, it appears not to be the mere cash paying transaction that was the point of confusion but rather your insistence that you deposit one dime in the middle of your stay. You also mention the possibility of some form of firewall built into our walls that prevented you from using your phone, and while we are uncertain of exactly what that issue was I can only assure you there is no such firewall built into our walls to keep guests from using any form of technology. We have Wi-Fi available in our common areas as well as our Yankee Doodle Tap Room and by summer’s end it will be available in our guest rooms as well. In the meantime, you are able to access internet with a wired connection in our guest rooms. Lastly, you shared a lovely description of our Yankee Doodle Tap Room as well as our wonderful location within Princeton’s Palmer Square and we are thrilled that you seemed to be pleased with that. We hope that if your travel plans in the future include another visit to the Princeton area that you will once again choose to stay at the Nassau Inn.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

The Nassau Inn is an impeccably adorned, delightfully historic, unbelievably comfortable, and absolutely delicious hotel! We rented a block of rooms for our wedding (at an incredibly generous discount--approximately fifty percent), and our guests were likewise taken aback by the surprisingly spacious (as it is a historic inn right in the center of town) and spotlessly clean and comfortable rooms. The staff (our liaison Rachel in particular) was unusually helpful and sweet--storing our gowns as we were very, very early, and even watching my car the week before while I unloaded a ton of stuff to be stored in our host's office! Its proximity to Princeton's many resources is fantastic indeed, but the hotel stands on its own. Our suite, with its distinctive sitting room and spa bath, was simply perfect; and, while we had our reception elsewhere (at a state park actually), our brunch at the Nassau was an embarrassment of riches--the blintzes were absurdly delicious. Needless to say, we will be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey B
nassaugm, Guest Relations Manager at Nassau Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Stacey B, Congratulations again on your wedding! We are so honored that you included the Nassau Inn as part of your special day. Few things are more rewarding for us than to read such a wonderful review in regards to the service you were provided, location of our Inn and the outstanding description you gave of your room. We could not be more moved that for this momentous occasion you will have such glorious memories that include the Nassau Inn. Our staff is extremely grateful and proud that they left you with such an impression. Hopefully you will be returning to the Inn throughout your life to celebrate life’s milestones and continue to share in the rich tradition of the Nassau Inn.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

I prefer to stay at the Nassau Inn during yearly alumni reunions, due to the location, service and beautiful newly renovated rooms.

PROS
-Friendly customer service
-Location, location, location
-Beautifully updated rooms
-Wonderful room service. Breakfast was very nice. :)

Thank you! I'll be back again!

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the newly renovated wing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lbischof

Dear Ibischof, Thank you for your kind words and taking notice of our rejuvenated rooms. Our staff could not be happier that you choose to stay with us at the Nassau Inn for alumni reunions. Our location is perfect for such a weekend and we love to share it with such wonderful guests. So happy to read that room service was so enjoyable, few things are better than quick service and a quality meal when dining in at a hotel. We look forward to having you back and continuing to serve you and exceed all of your expectations.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

The location was convenient and entertaining and everything we needed was accessible by foot, since we didn't have a car. Wonderful and varied dining all around. Although not luxurious, the hotel was historic, traditional and quaint, the staff was more than friendly and accommodating. The tub in our first king room stopped up, so they immediately upgraded us to a suite! Even though they are still going through renovations, we were not inconvenienced at all. Restaurant menu was not great and room service closed at 10. Overall experience was very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank labucli517

Dear travel201008, Thank you for all of your very kind remarks about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that your time with us was pleasing. Our staff is appreciative that their efforts were mentioned. We are always happy when a malfunction within the room can quickly be remedied to your satisfaction. As you mentioned, our renovations are continuing with a cautious approach and effort to be of no disturbance to our guests and we thank you for making mention of the success in that endeavor. We truly hope that you do return to our Inn to continue to enjoy all things Princeton!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

WORST HOTEL EVER!!! We paid a lot of money for a suite that had a bathtub that was unusable since it would not plug properly, and maintenance could not fix it, THERE WAS NO HOT WATER FOR A SHOWER AT 8AM, the suite had a toilet that would not flush since the handle was broken, and AC that would constantly stop and then restart with a loud noise. The front desk was noncommittal and even hostile, they could not have cared less that we paid for 3 rooms totalling over $1000 and had such basic problems. These were the "renovated rooms". The pillows were very hard and uncomfortable. I even heard the maintenance man's walky-talky as he was trying to fix the bathtub with a request from another room requesting a soft pillow so the guest could sleep.
I have never felt so ripped off by any hotel. I would recommend staying anywhere else, unless you feel you have to be right there in Palmer Square. This hotel was the worst value ever, and the attitude of the front desk staff made it worse, like "too bad for the problems with the suite, you really aren't important to us anyway, so just go away." Oh, and not even free internet anywhere in the hotel. The lobby where the front desk is located is small and uncomfortable. When we were checking in, all of a sudden the front desk person bolted away, and several minutes later came in with a cart full of luggage. Guess he was the valet, also. While he was away, we asked someone else behind the desk to help us. He said no, we had to wait for the other person, then he got on his cell phone and made a reservation somewhere for himself, and then walked around doing nothing, while we stood there. If he couldn't help, he could have at least identified himself and let us know why he was there behind the front desk, and why he couldn't be helpful. Just a very haphazard, unprofessional place, for the price. I have received far better service at Hampton Inns, with free internet and bathrooms with working bathtubs and toilets. The higher end places we have stayed at in the past have generally tried to be the best. Nassau Inn seems to be in a race to the bottom for their facilities and customer service.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, this place is overpriced and a very poor value.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel L
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The Nassau Inn is so historic and so amazingly located yet never fails to disappoint with service and dated rooms! Renovations have it seems been ongoing for at least five years or more and the unrenovated rooms to be avoided are terrible The restaurant is more than mediocre and to be avoided but fortunately there are abundant good restaurants in a 300 yd radius including Theresa's, just opposite This hotel has SO much potential to be great It continues to trade on its perfect and only downtown Princeton location and delivers bare minimum in service and comfort VERY average and for the price, not meeting expectations at all Lets just say, if it wasn't in the heart of the town, nobody would pay even half the cost they charge for a room

Room Tip: Insist on a renovated room in the Wilson Wing but not one above the road on second floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business