“value for money”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Athens, Greece
“value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

very good hotel but a bit out of town. Nevetheless it has many things to do like a gym and restaurant/cafe where you van hung out. spacy and comfortable rooms. great room service. also note that there are not any similar hotels in princeton so it is by far the best choice. BUT not really for a low-budget vacation.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed a couple of days while moving a student into Princeton University. The hotel was rated 4 stars, but was more like a 3 star hotel. The location was very convenient to the University, being one of the closest ones on route 1 to the school. The lobby was nice, but the rooms were very average and the carpet was dirty. Luckly we got a good rate on hotwire.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deltadawn50
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

We just returned from three nights as part of a package with Sesame Place.

This was an exceptionally good deal for the room, park season tickets and a full hot breakfast each day (which we didn’t know about till we arrived).

Overall this was a great stay for us. Staff was very friendly attentive and we had no problems or issues during our stay. Rooms were clean, typical of a middle of the road hotel, and met our needs. The beds seemed a bit small, and were not the most comfortable we had stayed on. We found plenty of kids shows to watch on the tv, during the limited time we were actually in the room.

We spent a lot of time at the pool, which was large, clean and pleasant. Hot Tub worked well, was tucked out of the way and welcome.

Breakfast was more than expected, nice service; only complaint the coffee was way too rough for me, and tasted odd. On Saturday there were omelets to order, a nice treat on our last day. Considering the deal we had and the accommodations, I don’t have anything bad to say about our stay. In fact when we asked our soon to be 5 year old daughter what she enjoyed about the trip she said the pool (not Sesames Place )!

If you are looking for a great homemade meal at great prices, you have to go the Princetonian Diner, just a few miles down Rt 1 South, on the right. You won’t go wrong. Avoid the overpriced, cookie cutter food at the chains dotting Rt 1.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

I recently spent a quick night at the Hyatt Regency Princeton, having won it on Hotwire about 20 minutes before checking in. I am also a Diamond member of their Gold Passport Program so I was wondering what, if any, benefits I would receive.

Check in was fairly quick. The people in front of me had also gotten this property via hotwire. They asked about a suite upgrade but were told it was not possible. I just asked for a decent room, high floor, not far from the elevator and that is what I received.

The hotel’s halls are fairly dark, and overall the hotel needs a remodel. The public areas are fine, but the rooms and corridors show wear and tear. I would not call this hotel 4 stars as HW does, but it’s a solid 3 or 3.5.

My room, 414 had a king sized bed, arm chair, desk and chair, dresser, closet and big flat screen TV. I believe that there are also several HD channels. The room was clean (could be cleaner, but mostly needed extra vacuuming and edge-vacuuming as there was some dust and stuff on the floor.) Also, the vents need to be cleaned as they were pretty dusty.

The bed was very comfortable and I fell asleep fast. The room had a view of trees and the office buildings that surround the hotel. Some rooms overlook the atrium so they may be noisy, however my room was not. (And it was a connecting room which I despise-but I was so tired that I didn’t ask to be moved.)

The bathroom was large, with a shower that seems to be designated for people that may be mobility impaired as it had a conventional shower head as well as a lower, hand-held type, along with a bar. Not actually a handicapped room, more like a “seasoned citizen” type set up. However, there ventilation is bad and EVERYTHING steams up and gets slippery! Use caution.

As a diamond member in their program, I was entitled to get free internet, free full breakfast and a welcome amenity. I knew I was not eligible for points (only on incidentals) or night’s credit. I had no issue asking for and receiving these items. The internet (provided by T-mobile) was wireless, quick and basically reliable. I received a full bottle of merlot (which came home with me) as well as chocolate covered strawberries. There are a couple other choices. Breakfast buffet was good and plentiful, but the service could have been better. (Had to ask for additional coffee.) Interestingly, the gratuity is included, but this is no excuse for bad service (and I tip extra as a rule.) Overall though, their other food is rather expensive and portions are smallish. (I stayed here previously and was not impressed with my dinner.)

The hotel has a nice looking pool area (although the windowsills in the hallway connecting the pool area to the hotel really need dusting and vacuuming as there were LOTS of cobwebs and dead bugs! Really! Also there are a couple tennis courts, and you are close to a couple places for golf. Plenty of shopping and dining are available within a short drive or shuttle ride.

A nice touch is that there is a free shuttle within a 5 miles radius. I took advantage of this to go into Princeton for a couple hours to shop and eat. I am from the area, but I decided to not have to fight the traffic and crowds for a parking spot. The driver was very nice and I enjoyed my time as a tourist in my own town! Parking is plentiful and free.

All in all, this is a good place to stay if you have business in the area, or are going to Princeton University. The hotel is close to the NJ Transit station (and the shuttle will take you there). My hotwire rate was less than a third of the going price on Hyatt’s website so I was happy.

I would not hesitate to use Hotwire again for this hotel if I need to be in the area (I wanted to be close to a local medical facility) and its location makes it good for touring the area, Sesame Place, the NJ Shore or even hopping the train into NYC.

The area has many places to shop and eat so I would suggest skipping dining in the hotel and heading elsewhere. All in all, this is a fine place to stay, as long as you get a good rate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank cruisermeg
Waterbury, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed here for three nights in July so we could go to Sesame Place in nearby Langhorne, Pa. The hotel offers a Sesame Place package that includes a free breakfast buffet each morning of your stay and also tickets to Sesame Place. We found the hotel very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. They have a nice indoor pool for any rainy weather and our kids loved staying here. They loved the Koi Pond at the restaurant every morning. A nice quality hotel and a good value if you get the package deals.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MaddVibes
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

The spacious tall atrium was like a garden oasis. After a gracious welcoming, we were asked our choice of terraced rooms overlooking the atrium or outside rooms overlooking the beautiful landscaping. We chose to have a terrace overlooking the atrium and were not disappointed. The room was immaculate, and with the new "Great Bed" the king size was like floating on clouds.
The wedding was nothing short of magnificent in the ballroom which we were told was the area's largest.The "look" created was of an angelic paradise of whites and golds. From floral arrangements to very attentive table service, we will long remember this wedding. Our many friends agreed with our appraisal and a great time was had by all.
The breakfast buffet was outstanding one morning- everything you could imagine: oatmeals, cereals, sausage and eggs made your way, fresh fruits, excellent Starbucks coffee, muffins and croissants, breads all freshly baked. The other morning we had breakfast in bed in our room and were delighted that it arrived promptly and that our waiter later called to see if we were satisfied. We were!
Short of tucking us in at night, the staff was very competent and accommodating when asked anything answered with a smile. We were given excellent maps and directions to attractions like discount outlets, the Jersey shore (only 45 minutes away). In addition they were super in telling us how everything works and getting you things that we didn't even think of, like the best exchange rates. Also the room was state-of-the- art wired and we could connect to our email very easily in the room
We spent Friday night at their Catch a Rising Star Comedy Club which offered outstanding national talent and afterwards had drinks at the Koi Pond Club lounge next door overlooking the atrium.
We felt that we had spent almost a week away rather than 2 1/2 days. We would go back in a heartbeat and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4dayweek
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

Overall our stay was pleasant. We stayed at the Hyatt because we planned on going to Sesame Place. According to our GPS, the distance from Princeton to Sesame was 16 miles and it took approximately 25 minutes, which wasn't a problem for us. We did however have a problem finding the hotel, as the GPS insisted on sending us the wrong way, so I can't really blame the hotel for this, but I will admit it is hard to find if you don't know where you are going and it's dark out.

Pros
1) very friendly staff
2) breakfast was delicious
3) lobby (koi pond)
4) proximity to Sesame (25 minutes)

Cons
1) A/C wasn't cool enough. I will admit that I like it rather cold, but even setting the temp for 65 wasn't enough. We had to go to Walmart to buy a fan
2) No frig in room. On 2nd day, we recd a welcome package saying Refrigerator, microwave was available if you ask front desk
3) Not enough outlets. between plugging in two lap-tops, two cell phone chargers and a fan (see #1), we ran out of outlets fast
4) paying $9.99 per day for internet access is unheard of