“Would stay at Hyatt again”

Hyatt Regency Princeton
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Long Island, NY
“Would stay at Hyatt again”
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Overall our stay was pleasant. We stayed at the Hyatt because we planned on going to Sesame Place. According to our GPS, the distance from Princeton to Sesame was 16 miles and it took approximately 25 minutes, which wasn't a problem for us. We did however have a problem finding the hotel, as the GPS insisted on sending us the wrong way, so I can't really blame the hotel for this, but I will admit it is hard to find if you don't know where you are going and it's dark out.

Pros
1) very friendly staff
2) breakfast was delicious
3) lobby (koi pond)
4) proximity to Sesame (25 minutes)

Cons
1) A/C wasn't cool enough. I will admit that I like it rather cold, but even setting the temp for 65 wasn't enough. We had to go to Walmart to buy a fan
2) No frig in room. On 2nd day, we recd a welcome package saying Refrigerator, microwave was available if you ask front desk
3) Not enough outlets. between plugging in two lap-tops, two cell phone chargers and a fan (see #1), we ran out of outlets fast
4) paying $9.99 per day for internet access is unheard of

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I've had the pleasure of staying at Hyatt Regency Princeton about 5 times a year for many years and am pleased that my high expectations are always met. I usually am seeing three clients in the area when I visit so getting the proper rest and attentive service are paramount in considering my stay successful. The unwavering graciousness of the employees makes me wonder if this is happening today but that said, I was truly made to feel at home from the choice of room location (overlooking the atrium and activities there or facing the beautifully landscaped grounds) to explanation of services available to make me know the lay of the land immediately upon arrival. Since I am in marketing, being inspired always helps me secure more business. Dining in the five-story atrium or treading water in the heated pool and relaxng in the sauna always add to the my overall sense of well-being as feeling great always inspires creative ideas and they are what make money for my family. It is no wonder that the chef is awardwinning as the menu is varied and delicious and while I was there, the wine-tasting was an extra special feature at the Koi Club Lounge.. I even stayed on an extra night so that I could enjoy the top national talent at the Catch a Rising Star Comedy Club. Because the hotel is about an hour to Philly, the Jersey Shore and NYC ( yet one mile from Princeton University and the charming town,) I manage to accomplish an awful lot in very little time and still relax in a beautiful botannical atmosphere. I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and colleagues alike.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt May 4-8 for business and was very disappointed. I am not very familiar with the Hyatt chain, but for what I paid it was not worth it. The hotel is old, the rooms are dirty and the in-room amenities are few and far between. I didn't even have a bar of soap - so forget lotion, etc. They also never replaced the in-room coffee, tea and cups throughout my week-long stay. The hairdryer was the worst I have seen in a hotel and the water pressure was bad as well. The beds are OK, but the towels are paper thin and rough. Overall I have had MUCH better from a comfort Inn or Clarion for half the price!!

I had an exterior room on the 4th floor. My first room was adequate, although the sheets were stained, the carpet had black smudges on it, the ironing board was filthy and worst of all the toilet still had remnants from a previous guest. I complained and got transferred to a room close by. Identical room, clean toilet, but someone else’s hair in the shower, on the floor in the bathroom and the entire room was coated with a thick layer of dust.

The hotel is also set on a busy highway, which makes small trips out difficult. The noise wasn’t too bad, but you could hear the roadway.

Overall, I am sorely disappointed with my stay. If I hadn’t prepaid upfront to get a cheaper rate, I would have left and tried my luck elsewhere.

On a positive, the staff I have encountered seem very accommodating and friendly. There is also what looks like a nice breakfast buffet and a comedy club in the hotel. However, none of that can make up for the dirty and old rooms.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed February 28, 2009

The Hyatt was the first of four hotels I stayed at in Princeton in one week. I like to change hotels when I travel. Since it was a Hyatt Regency I expected it to be a very nice stay, and it was not as nice as I'd hoped.

The hotel has a large (huge) parking lot between it and Rt. 1, so is set back from the highway. It is one of those where some of the rooms look outside and the ones on the other side of the hall lookout over the hotel interior. I had an external room which was quiet: I did not hear any traffic noise. The machinery in the room was quiet and the cycling of the heating system did not bother me, as it did in other hotels I stayed at during the trip. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was very very large but mostly wasted space. I found the shower awkwardly designed. The controls for the shower are hard to reach from outside the shower: they are at least 18 inches from where you are if you are outside the shower, so you have to reach around to turn it on or be in the tub to do so. The tub basin has a very thick (eight inches or so) relatively high edge that you need to climb over to enter the shower, and there is a sloping part of the floor on the end opposite the side where the control are that I almost slipped in trying to get into the tub. A really terrible design flaw.

Service when it was available was great. The check-in clerks and check-out clerks were friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. Room service and service at the breakfast restaurant were top notch. But there was a surprisingly awful service lapse too: The only reason I had room service was that I could not find anyone to seat me in the dinner restaurant at 6:30 PM on a Sunday! I both waited at the place where you usually are greeted, and then even wandered around the restaurant looking for a staffer, and then decided that if it took that long to get seated, the service might be dreadful.

The breakfast service was much better and gracious. They had a buffet available and a full service menu. I ate from the buffet. The hot food was fine, but the fruit (the usual cut melon, etc) was dried out and worse, there were tiny little flies flying around it. The waiter offered to get me fruit from the kitchen (and he was clearly unhappy about the flies) but it was offputting!

The fitness center has about five cardio machines and a few pairs of dumbbells up to about 25 pounds. I did not use the pool.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
boston
Reviewed January 19, 2009

The other negative reviews on TripADvsor were right on. There is absolutely nothing to distinguish this hotel; the hallways felt cold, as if the air conditioning was on, and there is a long entry hall to get to the reception area, which was also cold and unwelcoming. The common areas are rather stark, the food was pricey and most annoying of all, they levyed a $10 charge for the internet!! That is what I would expect of a Mom and Pop on its last legs, not the Hyatt. We had a relatively good price through Hotwire, but I would go to great lengths to avoid staying there again, despite price; there are many other better alternatives even with a lower star rating.

• Liked — clean, relatively conveneint
  • Disliked — internet charge
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2008

I can't comment on the price of this hotel as my stay was covered by my company and I don't even know how much it was.

- Rooms are clean; everything worked efficiently; two double beds in a room requested for a single person; big rooms and bathroom
- The staffs are really competent. I asked them anything from the offered free shuttle services to how everything works and they went the extra mile of getting what you wanted with a smile.
- Breakfast was really nice. A good selection of hot meals; omelettes made the way you wanted; oatmeal, cereals, sausage, fresh cut fruits, good coffee, muffins, baked goods, croissants - really nice breakfast to get you on the way but beware it costs 18 dollars per person and not included in the hotel room.
- The gym is superb and is open 24 hours and no extra costs.
- I had no trouble connecting to wireless and everything worked. Although I must say that I understand the frustration mentioned in other reviews as it is complicated to follow the steps they provide.
- We had meetings catered by this hotel and all the meals were really well presented, tasty, with always healthy options.
- The whole meeting was really superbly organized and the hotel did an excellent job of ensuring a flawless gathering.
- The bar downstairs had really friendly staff and a good place to grab drinks with colleagues.
- Will I go back? For business – sure – for pleasure? I hope I go somewhere more exciting… There is nothing around this hotel and if you are not here for business it would be really difficult to find any entertainment.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 4, 2008

This Hyatt doesn't do the brand any favors. It;'s in need of an update. The beds are small -- two doubles in my room -- and not particularly comfortable.

The rooms are decent sized, but lighting is iffy.

Aside from a large screen TV, technology is lacking. No readily accessible high speed internet port, and outlets are still down at floor level. One outlet on a lamp for a laptop, but that's it. Few TV channels to choose from,

Actual human wake up call instead of a robot. Seems antiquated, but some might find that quaint.

The room was a bit cold, and the shower would get warm but not hot.

Good location. Restaurant looked nice but I did not eat there.

All in all, not a great place to stay.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — old
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business