“Good hotel being updated”

Hyatt Regency Princeton
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
WNY
“Good hotel being updated”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Recent business trip took me to this Hyatt in Princeton. Staff were wonderful, and in spite of some noise from the revisions to the hotel, it was a good visit. THe room was comfortable with a desk and chairs. The food was pricey, but good. My only issue was how cold the ballroom was that we used for our meeting.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on upper floors while revisions are being made.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Belgrade, null, Serbia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovation, which is fine, however there was little effort to keep the standard during the process. Breakfast is served in a small room in the basement, with no ventilation, where a guy is making omelettes and clothes absorbs the smell instantly. I called the waitress to ask her to remove a piece of bred with mold that was sitting there on the table for us to take. Very poor internet connection in the room, disconnecting every other minute. Forks and knives, as well as coffee cups dirty, my colleagues asked several times for the clean ones. Very, very disappointing. One good thing, Cezar salad, and the computer and printer in the lobby for quick check in for major airlines. Also, rooms and beds large and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor, as the one I had, may be oriented towards the large internal lobby of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide candid feedback on your recent stay. This is not the experience that our guests should expect and I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay. I’m sorry that you had trouble connecting to the internet, as well as service issues in the restaurant. I am glad I was able to speak with you regarding the issues you experienced during your stay. I have forwarded your comments regarding to the Food and Beverage manager, as well as our Executive Management team so that these challenges can be addressed. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you the excellent customer service which our guests have come to expect from us.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The staff was very welcoming. My room was nicely appointed. The beds weren't as comfy as I would have liked. The heat exchanger was noisy. I could hear a lot of noise from the hall from people going in and out of their rooms. The remodel was well done.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Rockland Cnty, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in this property over 12 years ago and was impressed then by the layout. Now over a decade later, it was a very wise investment for the owners to renovate the entire hotel. Unfortunately, i stayed during the reno....

The entry was delayed, a large group was attending for some softball tournament. They took much of the staff's attention when i was attempting to register. The staff is now smartly dressed (silver suit and purple tie!!)

Getting to the room couldn't have been easier, however, as the reno is ongoing, you have to avoid tripping on carpet and navigate around equipment.

Thankfully the room overhaul was completed. The pictures show that. I am impressed with the end result. I think the entire hotel will look great with the make-over. It is just that, in the interim, guests will 'suffer' with the challenges of the make-over.

Room Tip: At all costs avoid the rooms near the elevator lobby on each floor...it is loud.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On marriage of my friend's daughter on 1st September we stayed for two nights at the hotel. Rooms are neat, clean and spacey. Environment inside the hotel is also awesome and it looks like some big sized Casio hotel of Las Vegas. The marriage hall or the reception hall is also quite big ANC can accommodate more than 300 persons.

Room Tip: Great value for your money
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
washington DC
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have stayed at the this Hyatt for years -- and never had any dissatisfaction. it is a great location

But the current rehabilitation has brought with it several serious mistakes -- that are hard to reconcile with a major hotel chain-- that suggest another property (even another Hyatt) would be preferable

The rennovated rooms have some servious problems that I thought a serious hotelier would avoid -- that are critical to me as a customer:

1. MAJOR ISSUE: in my room (with large shower --probably replaced a bathtub), The shower door slides so that it is impossible to turn on the water with getting wet. If you turn it on a little you get wet with cold water; if you turn it on alot you would get scaled (and no way to adjust it without being burned). I believe this is more than inconvenient -- it is a serious liability issue.

2. The lights over the bed are too dim for reading

3. the toilet paper roll is not positioned so that it is impossible to get paper out except by folding the paper (pulling it off the roll sideways) Sounds wierd -- but I never encountered this problem in any other hotel

4. The lights in the bathroom are very dim (certainly way too dim for women)

5 No HD TV?? you got to be kidding

6. no mini-bar

7. Breakfast buffet is big, but cold, dry -- $22 -- can go down the road and get a good fresh breakfast for half (I did on the second day)

These are amateur design mistakes (compared to similarly priced hotels) -- i am really surprised

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a bathtub, take your own lightbulbs, and eat down the road where there...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi PBC08,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Princeton. I am disappointed to learn of your stay not meeting your expectations. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak directly with you about your experience. I hope you will consider giving us a second opportunity to host you.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
London
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We spent a single night here this month, after meeting friends for dinner in Princeton, and wanting a place to stay before heading into New York next day from the railway station at Princeton Junction. We booked our room at about 7 pm via Expedia, at the Princeton Starbucks, on our laptop, in some haste. I think it cost around $228, but am not quite sure - will have to check my cc print out. I assume that price is because it was so close to call and that one can get a better rate by booking more in advance.

However, we'd had a long journey the previous day, and wanted a nice, easy, comfortable 'no risk' place to stay that night, and in that respect it suited us well.

Our room was modern, clean and in good condition. As others have noted, there is no fridge. I can't recall if there was a safe, as we didn't need one for one night only. We arrived late, after ten pm, and there was no problem at check in, and they had our reservation all lined up, so that was good.

The bathroom was clean and modern and in good condition. I liked the 'night light' that others here have referred to - useful for bathroom trips in the night!

Minor complaint that the large picture window and curtain allowed some light in - and at the head end of the bed. I had to try and hold the curtain in place with a chair, but light still got in higher up.

However, my major complaint is that when we turned on the laptop, and entered, as requested by the hotel network, our name and room number, it then had the gall to say we had to pay $9.99 for 24 hour usage of the Internet!

This is disgraceful! I went to the reception desk and pointed this out, and they were apologetic but said it was because we'd booked via Expedia. Well, I'd booked four other hotels this trip with Expedia, and NOT ONE failed to include free Internet - including Best Western! So if a budget chain like BW can offer free Internet, it's outrageous that an upscale chain like Hyatt Regency try to make money out of this! These days, it's just utterly unacceptable not to include free wifi - it's like trying to charge for using electricity in the rooms. Internet access is now standard, automatic and expected.

The reception desk said they get complaints about charging all the time, and that they continually tell Hyatt management so - but the charging policy remains.

However, the good news is that when I then said, "Well, that's what Trip Advisor is for!" (ie, that I would slate that policy as I am now doing!) I was very promptly offered a waiver on the charge.

So, in that respect, I got very good service, but only because of the excellent customer service attitude of the reception desk (I believe his name is Aki - apols for mispelling!).

I also got very good customer service the next day, with a free shuttle to the railway station, and, moreover, a complimentary appetiser at lunchtime (we slept through breakfast) which gave us a $16 dish of tortilla, chicken, cheese,sour cream and salsa - very good!

Regretfully, we had no time (or energy!) to use the pool, though it was open late in the evening, which is good, and early in the morning too.

We did see some renovation work still going on in the centre of the hotel above the dining atrium, but it scarcely bothered us for our short visit.

Another plus point - I hate powdered coffee whitener (there is never enough of it, nor those tiny milk cartons - does every catering manager in every hotel in the world only drink black coffee I wonder, for there is never ever enough milk for those who like their coffee white!) (also, why do US hotels put teabags in hotel rooms when there is no kettle, only a coffee machine? Even if I use the machine to boil water, it will taste of coffee!!!)....(I think I'm right in recalling that the only US hotel I've ever found a kettle in was a Fairmont - which is Canadian - and therefore presumably understands that you make tea with boiling water from a kettle!!!! :)

Anyway, I went down to the bar (the only place open that late) and asked for some milk, and was given a cup of milk gratis, which was very good and for which I was very grateful.

So, all in all, there was v. good all round customer service, but HR MUST get rid of this outdated idea that the Internet is a novelty and a privilege for which they can still charge customers! It's disgraceful!

Room Tip: Don't get an atrium one - who wants to overlook an atrium? (unless I've misunderstood the ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family