“Close to university, needs updating”

Hyatt Regency Princeton
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Princeton, New Jersey
“Close to university, needs updating”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I like the convenience of the Hyatt Regency to the university. We had two full (queen?) size beds. I found the decor of the room and hotel overall to be a bit dated; I think it is in need of renovation. The carpets look worn with stains. We had a first floor room with a high ceiling, but my son noticed some cobwebs in the corner. Our room felt a bit grubby. The tub did not drain properly so the water collected around our feet as we showered. AC was loud. Hotel lacks a fresh feel and smell. In my week of staying at other hotels, this was the first time I had to pay for wifi. TV lacked HD channels. Check-in/out was efficient and professional.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jon S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Hello David C and thank you for taking time to share your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of your room. I have shared your comments with our front desk, housekeeping and engineering team in order to resolve some of the issues you experienced during your stay. I am happy to share with you, that our hotel is currently undergoing a major transformation which should be complete by the end of the year. I hope, if your travels bring you back to the univeristy, you will allow us the opportunity to earn your trust again.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt because of a wedding at the venue. First off, I was not happy with the front desk on the night before the wedding. They were not easy to deal with and we seemed to have a miscommunication with the gentleman and it took quite some time to sort out the issue. The standard rooms did not have refridgerators which I found suprising. The rooms were clean, however the construction on the 2nd floor was a bit disturbing on early Sunday morning. We did call the front desk because we had a question, and no one ever answered. I know it was late in the night, but I found that unprofessional. The elevators/hallways are a bit confusing. We had a very long walk to our room which can be frustrating when you have alot of luggage with you. I had to check into a different room the next morning, and Michelle- I believe she was in training- was actually helpful in getting rooms earlier than check-in time. However, I know lots of wedding guests were unhappy with their check-in process. I found the cocktail hour very confusing because half of it took place near the hall, and other half in the atrium area. The drinks at the bar were also very watered down. Overall, I was disappointed with my experience at the Hyatt for a wedding. The venue is still very pretty and the couple's wedding looked beautiful because of the decorator. The hotel is very convenient in terms of location as well.

Room Tip: The suites are very spacious. Standard rooms do not have fridges!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jon S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear N M, it is very disappointing to hear you did not have a good experience during your stay with us for the wedding. Please accept my sincere apologies for the incoveniences you experienced during your stay. I am glad that our new associate Michelle was able to assist you with your room change and that the rooms were clean. I have reviewed your comments with the team and steps are being taken to remedy the service issues immediately. I have also passed on your comments about the cocktail hour and drinks to our Food & Beverage Director. I want to thank you for your candid feedback. It is only through open and honest communication that we can improve our process and service for our guests.

Cornwall on Hudson, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times, and agree that some rooms have a noise problem due to proximity to service areas or ice machines. However, overall, this is a terrific hotel. The breakfast buffet is not to be beat: there are freshly-made omelets on hand and the coffee is strong and tasty! The pool is sparkling clean, and the sun deck is perfect for catching rays. The special hypoallergenic rooms are a Godsend for those of us with allergies. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Jon S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Notmdnp, first of all THANK YOU for being a repeat guest. We appreciate your business and would like to continue to provide you with great service and allergy free rooms. I will be sharing your comments with our omelette chef Chris. He takes a lot of pride in what he does and your comments, I know will put a smile on his face. We look forward to your return visit and we'll be wating for you with a hot cup of strong coffee.

Kind regards,

Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I traveled with my husband and 15-month old son to Sesame place. Since we didn't care about being super close to the park and got a deal on this Hyatt, we stayed in Princeton. The hotel was very nice. Our room was big, we got a pack and play for the baby and had enough room for everything. The only minus from our perspective was that the room had no fridge, which we needed for the baby's food and milk. We used the pool and the hot tub, both were clean and well maintained. My only suggestion would be not to have a wedding reception there. We stayed over a Saturday nite when 2 couples were getting married there. I do not think the wedding party enjoyed the view of my husband in a bathing suit and flip flops walking between them to get to the bar for a couple of beers. The location of the ceremony room is odd, right next to the reception desk, so you get all the check ins. I don't think that was very romantic. The staff was very nice, we had left our 'do not disturb' card on the door when we left the room by accident, and the head maid left us a message asking us to call back when we wanted the room made.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Zue_12, I am delighted to hear you and your family enoyed your room and had plenty of space during your recent visit with us. I am glad you enjoyed were able to enjoy a few of the hotel's amenities as well. In the future, please do not hesitate to ask for a refridgerator. If we are aware of the need in advance, we try to have it in the room before you check in. We strive to meet as many of our guests requests as possible. I have passed on your feedback as to the location of the wedding reception to our catering department and I have no doubt it will be looked into for the future. I hope you will come back and stay with us again on for next trip to Sesame Place or maybe Great Adventure when your littel one is older.

Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Princeton Hyatt Regency visiting friends in the area. Our room was very well equipped, everything was just perfect. Only - we were about five doors from the area were drinks and ice were provided, and we were woken up during the first night by a loud noise from the ice machine, both the motor which sounded like the engine room of a ocean steamer, and the ice dropping sounding like the inside of a car during a hail storm. We complained in the morning at the front desk, and were told that they should take care of it. The next night: exactly the same. We could have gotten another room but were too tired to want to go through the exercise. Our room was 168, and the rooms closer to the noise area would be 170-178. Unless they have solved their problem, those are the rooms to avoid.

Room Tip: Avoid 168 through 178 on the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Frans R
Jon S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Fran R, thank you so very much for taking the time to share your recent experiece at the Hyatt Regency Princeton. While I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, I would like to apologize for the noise issue you exerienced. I have spoken to our engineering department to remedy this right away. I hope when you come back to visit your friends, you will think of us and give us the opportunity to host you and your wife again.

Sincerely yours,
PR
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed at the hotel on 07/19-07/20 during my road trip. I booked the hotel through hotwire and payed only $95/night. The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The staff was wonderful. There was a lot of parking space, and the parking was free. The facilities seem well maintained. I regret only stayed for a night during my road trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Devotemom, I hope you enjoyed the rest of your road trip. I am delighted to hear that Hyatt Regency was a part of that and that you enjoyed your accommodations and our staff. I hope on your next road trip, you will allow yourself more time to enjoy a few more of our amenities and are able to stay longer and relax. We'll save you a parking spot.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

First off the staff were wonderful, every single person we interacted with was fabulously helpful and competent. There is plenty of parking. The room itself was ok, a little tired in places but clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable. The lobby area is pleasant and bright. I used the gym which was small but had everything I needed - a bike and a treadmill - there are also free weights and a sauna. The pool looked nice but I didn't get to use it.
On the negative side there was a lot of noise seeping through from the corridors and other rooms. There was a wedding on at the time which may have made it worse than usual. Also there is no free wi-fi. Personally I expect this for free in a hotel like this given the rates. This would probably make me choose somewhere else in the future.
Thank you to the staff again for their excellent service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vadid
Dear Vadid, thank you very much for your gracious feedback about our staff on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that overall, you had a pleasant. I am sorry you did not have a change to use the pool. I hope on a future visit back to the area, you will take advantage of it. I will pass on your comments about the free wi-fi.