“A Pale Imitation... Other Pubs do this so much better”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Princeton Sports Bar and Grille
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Well, there's only one reason you might want to go to this restaurant/bar. For a noisy, crazy sport-themed time with food that is not terrible. IT's not good, but I can't say it is terrible. So, if you want to be festive in a sports kind of way with a million monitors around you, then this is the loud place to be, I suppose.

If, however, you are looking for a pub with a few screens that has been around seemingly forever and is a Princeton fixture, then go to the Alchemist and Barrister (the A&B). The A&B has a pub feel, but with its oak bar and tucked away tables, huge selection of beer, decent selection of wine and food that won't win any amazing awards but is far superior to what is at the Sports Bar, this is your place.

Also, if you are looking for a Princeton establishment, the A&B is it. Let me explain a little something about the Sports Bar: Until about 6 years ago it was The Annex. A little bit dive, but students and faculty went there regularly for the $2 Happy Hours. It could get loud, but it had a certain charm. Flash forward. It becomes "Sotto," a painful attempt to go upscale with questionable Italian food. Shocker. Now it is the "Sports Bar" and it is still far from the classic that once inhabited the space.

In short, if you want better food, better beer selection, a more genuine "Princeton experience" and a better ambience (unless you want a blaring sports bar and, hey, sometimes we do), then just say no. Walk a block down, turn onto Witherspoon, walk through a half alley and something better awaits.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a sports bar which does not subscribe to many sports channels - so even games of local teams (like the Phillies) are not available. Really. As in "Sorry, we don't get those channels."

The prices are expensive and deceitful - there was a special on the wall that says Bud bottles 2 for 5$ or something like that - I asked for two Bud bottles, gave him a twenty and he handed me 7.50 back. I couldn't get an answer about what the hell had just happened over the bad selection of loud music, and had already had a long discussion resulting in "we don't get those stations" so I drank it and left. I looked for something to steal but there was nothing of value. Even the salt shakers where crusty and gross.

Just for extra fun, they harass you on the sidewalk about your ID, to make the place look like it has bouncers or something. I'm Faculty here at Princeton, and as much as I would like to believe that my wife and I looked like 19 year olds trying to party, I don't think that's why they scrutinized our ID's for such a long time.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This place is really good for its daily specials. The food is average and the drinks are a little bit pricey. This is really the only place to watch sports. There is no way else that has as many TVs. Overall, it's not entirely too bad. You just have to milk the specials.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We think this bar has potential and we really wanted to like it but it seems the few tiems we stopped in here for lunch during football season, the place is always empty. It is unfortunate too, that the food is just mediocre because it is a good looking bar with plenty of tables and tvs, and good beer prices during college football. The staff is very nice and attentive too. Now for the bad - womens bathroom could be updated and cleaned. The bar was empty at 2pm, but the womens bathroom was dirty. Reminded me of a dive bar bathroom, doesn't seem to suit the rest of the place. On to the food - I had the fish tacos. They were absolutely bland and it was basically fried fish sticks chopped up and placed in a soft taco. no flavor whatsoever, and who wants fried fishsticks? not what i expected. Son ordered medium burger, and it came out medium rare. Wish the food and atmosphere was better. i'll give it another try but maybe just for beer and wings the next time.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

First let me say, they are trying really hard at the "Grille", to gvie the customer a worthwhile experience.
The place is clean, bright with plenty of flat screens. The waitresses in tight outfits are very solicitous and professional.
But the some old Princeton conundrum , in my humble opinion. Too much money for predestrian food. I am sure parking can be a hassle, but I do not get uptown that often , to really know.

Back in the day when the place was called the Annex, you use to get decent chow at a cheap place. That is what Princeton needs.