“OK but Better Options”

Clarion Hotel Palmer Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed here for one night in May to attend a local graduation. Location is OK – on route 1. (However – ask the hotel for a different address to put in your GPS as the Route 1 address isn’t found by the GPS – they know this). Anyway – the place is kind of weird in it’s setup. It seems like it was a motel at some point and they added or enclosed the outside to make corridors. The rooms were not the cleanest and the shower curtain was falling off the wall, so the floor gets soaked. The rooms (we had 2 rooms) have an odd smell – perhaps a scent to hide mildew or smoke smell? The rooms definitely need to be updated. I knew this wasn’t a 5 star hotel when I booked it, but I was just hoping to get some of the basics right. It was OK for a one nighter, but I would look elsewhere next time. We previously stayed at an extended stay hotel in the same area on Route 1 and that was better. There is also a Westin a few miles farther up on Route 1 that looked really nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 18, 2010

Shabby interior, the facility used hot water even though cold was selected, rude and incompetent employees. All the horrors of the actual visit aside - AFTER my visit I needed to contact someone to help to straighten out my charges. After repeatedly calling and asking for assistance, I was either given a second hand explanation, or, from the one person who could assist me, I could not get a return call after leaving numerous messages. still they screwed while straighten out my charges.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank unleash2689
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I stayed at the Clarion for two nights in November. I found the rooms to be very clean, and the food in the restaurant was excellent. I liked the fact that I could walk to the shopping center next door. The staff was very friendly and helped me with everything I needed. I can't believe this place was only $89 per night- we found that to be an excellent bargain. I give this place an a+++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We just completed a 2 night stay at the Clarion Palmer Inn. The rooms were clean and the staff was incredibly accommodating. We were there for a lacrosse tournament, probably 25 families in all, and used the pool and outdoor courtyard both evenings for dinner and cooling off after the games. It is not a luxury hotel but quite nice and very convenient if you are in going to be in the Princeton/Mercer County Community College area.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We were delighted with our stay at this hotel. Continental breakfast was not fancy but a step above that offered by similar establishments. Personal touches made the Palmer Inn feel well cared for and not just another standard corporate chain cutout. As noted above, the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful to guests.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I arrived with 3 huge luggages and no hotel staff to help a lady / hard to find your room. Confusing hotel layout / restaurant was out of business / sheets were dirty / mattress had dark stains / moldy smell on room / no kitchenette... it's just a microwave and a small refrigerator / apparently hotel rents a space next to the rooms to a church congregation were they meet everyday for mass, nothing wrong with that, but it makes the hotel noisy during services / front desk lady was friendly / checked out the next day and will never go back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2008

If I were the brand manager for Choice Hotels, I would travel to NJ and personally rip the Clarion sign from the pole. The hotel's website describes it as an "upscale hotel." This is very false advertising. This hotel stinks -- literally. It SMELLS BAD. The scent is a combination of body odor mixed with greasy food, with carpet freshener dumped on top.

Despite the "lipstick" -- relatively new bedspreads and window coverings, the place is generally dingy, dirty and dated. The mattresses are the worst hotel beds I have ever experienced, and I've stayed in some pretty cheap places. The blankets are ratty and pilly. The top sheet had a rip in it. Basically they've taken an old motel and built a shell around it so that all the rooms are "interior." You can tell the original building is very old. You have to step up from the "hallway" into the room. There is no security.

The maids either can't read or don't know the meaning of "Do Not Disturb" -- they knocked on our door in the morning despite the sign. Walls are so thin you can hear your neighbors breathe. Noisy at night. I would avoid the breakfast -- it wouldn't pass health department inspection -- yuck!

The bathroom tile was dirty, there was mold, etc. The toilet ran endlessly, there were holes in the ceramic tile. The thermostat always read 62 degrees regardless of the actual temperature. The bathroom heat was a heatlamp, but the knob was broken off so you couldn't use it.

The only thing that really worked was the wireless internet.

And it's not really in Princeton -- it's on the outskirts. Near shopping and restaurants which is a plus, but you aren't going to be near the quaint ambience of a cute college town.

I would not recommend this hotel. Did I mention it SMELLS???

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)