“Needs Improvements”

Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Cornwall, Canada
“Needs Improvements”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife attends a conference in Princeton every year and this hotel is on the list with a special rate for the conference; while my wife is at the conference I stay in the room to do some work, relax, whatever. The rooms aren't too bad however the wifi coverage is poor and the room cleaning schedule is all over the map; the first morning the cleaners were at our room by 9 AM while the second morning they hadn't shown up by noon. I don't like having my work interrupted so I usually leave the room until the cleaning staff have been through before I start working; having such a random cleaning schedule is a problem (this happened last year too).

I went to the "Business Center" to see if it would allow me to work uninterrupted for a while and I found that to be a bit of a joke. The room has boxes stored around/under the desks, the network jack at the work desk isn't active and the electrical outlets are blocked by the desk. I would have expected a powerbar and plug in network access and a more professional looking area.

The only real shining star to this hotel is their handyman Alex; he is extremely friendly, attentive to detail, quick and efficient.

Last year we had one of the suites; the stove didn't work and the balcony furniture was very dirty. We may try a different hotel next year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Clarmeont, CA
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I will keep this short so people will read this.

1. I booked a nonsmoking room and was given a smoking room. "that is all we have" was their reply. At the time I booked my room, the rate offered was similar to several other hotels in the area. A quick look at other hotels had me paying almost twice as much due to it being done at the last minute.

2. This place sponsors a swingers club (I'm not talking about dancing). My stay coincided with their monthly meeting. When the hotel bar closed at 1 am, the party moved to the hotel. Not all of the activity was confined to the rooms. It was way after 3 am when I was finally able to get some sleep - due to the noise. Calls to the front desk went unanswered. I feel the hotel should have warned us "normal" guests. Also, the rates to the members of the club are about half the normal rate.

To show I'm not making this up, the link below takes you to their advertisement. Beware of the 3rd Sunday of the month.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank MikeVig20

Travelers are raving about these Princeton hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Very nice property, great amenities and clean. However, unlike the cheapest Roadway Inn in the Choice chain where there is 24 hour coffee (though horrible tasting) in the lobby, you are locked out of the breakfast room until 6:30am. Not great if your a business traveler and need an early start! I told the desk clerk I was disappointed, and she told me, "there's a coffee maker in your room". How disappointing for Choices signature brand.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jmcolker
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

If it wasn't for the friendly staff and its location, I would rate this as below average or poor. Normally when I think of "Clarion" I think of a higher standard than what we experienced at this location. Overall, we much prefer the Holiday Inn Express a few miles away: hands down a far better value and a much nicer stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ewing, New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last summer. We were in the process of moving from out of state and needed a place to stay while we looked for a place to live. We chose this hotel specifically because it allows pets and we were able to bring our dog.

The hotel itself is in a convenient location (right next to a plaza with a Whole Foods and down the street from a mall). The interior is definitely dated and our particular room had a pretty horrible odor. The hotel does have a pool (which we didn't use) and an outdoor area with tables and chairs.

It suited our needs at the time but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Due to an unexpected overnight in Princeton, New Jersey, we checked in to the Clarion. Having spent many, many nights in the Comfort Suites in Canton, NY (a delight) and in other Comfort chain hotels across the midwest, we never thought twice about the decision. This hotel was the WORST we have ever been in. It smelled of sewage (and curry) - in the room, outside, even the box of tissues in our car smelled of it. There was a party going on in every surrounding room and we were kept awake all night. We checked out at 5:30 am, sleepless, cold, smelly and disgusted.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is in the midst of renovations. Outside hallways are in the process of being enclosed. Our room, on the side of the building (1st floor) was very quiet-- no road noise at all. Some of the furniture is a little worn, and it's time for cosmetic updates, but this did not affect the quality of our stay at all. The room was very warm when we arrived, but the heating system was easy to adjust. The room was clean with no odor of cleaning products. Breakfast was ready promptly at 6:30, and all staff were very personable and helpful. The breakfast room attendant even cautioned us about icy roads. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: It can be tricky to enter the hotel parking lot from Rte. 1 North-- no left turns. Call the front de...