“casual and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Main Street Bistro and Bar
Ranked #64 of 195 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Brunswick, New Jersey
“casual and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a perfect place to go for a casual weeknight dinner with girlfriends. We were greeted warmly and sat quickly. As it was mid-week, it was not too busy. Our server was attentive. Food was perfect for us girls that were looking for a lighter meal - we went with salads & omelettes. The menu had wonderful choices. We stayed for about an hour after we finished eating and were not rushed. It was easy to have conversation as there was no loud music - perfect for catching up with the girls. Will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank 1122Cheryl

New England
“Reliable and good local place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Have been here a few times, most recently this past weekend. Fills a good niche between the more-formal and more-expensive places in Princeton, on the one hand, and the very casual places like Panera on the other hand. Teresa Caffe is perhaps another such place, but Princeton needs more of them. This time around, one of us had the soup of the day (corn chowder, I believe) and a chicken caesar salad, and the other one had a small salad and the glazed salmon; both were very good. Ambience is simple but pleasant; service is good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
“Nice dining choice in Princeton Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been to this restaurant many times over the years. The quality of the restaurant has been remarkably consistent--I have never had a bad meal there. I rated it very good, but compared to the other dining options in Princeton (which are either poor over or very overpriced) this is excellent. Its located in a shopping center, north of town, which might make it appear to be similar to a Ruby Tuesdays or other chain, but it is definitely not food chain quality. The food is consistently good, the wines OK, the Scotch choices quite good, and the service friendly. The ambience is OK to good and noise level OK.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“A perfect dining haunt when visiting Princeton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We've enjoyed dinner & lunch many many times in the past 20+yrs...never once anything other than perfect
Varied and seasonable menu
Exceptional crab cakes, pastas & salads

Princeton, New Jersey
“Should Be On "Restaurant Impossible"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

The place looked inviting from the outside so we stopped in for a late dinner, but inside was as drab as a 90s TGIFriday's ... left to rot for a decade or so. All present company was over the age of 60, and I say this only to color the kind of atmosphere that was there.

The menu offered a few vegetarian dishes, but they were out of two of them. I was going to order the 1/2 portion of the Red Pepper Ravioli (which as $9) because I wasn't that hungry until our waiter volunteered a warning that it only actually had "like 5 raviolis". So I opted for a full portion, which was true to form - about 10 raviolis (for $15)! My father had a taco salad which was mostly just a pile of canned beans, tortilla chip strips, and canned salsa... which is not exactly what I'd call an entree salad.

I will say that our waiter was very friendly and obliging to answer menu questions, and we were seated promptly. Also a fun note: they had Amstel Light under "Craft Beers", which I found amusing.

I left feeling gross and cheated.

• Visited April 2012