New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“FYI: "Public Swimming Pool". Their pool doubles as a quasi public pool for the local neighborhood!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton

Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here recently on a weekend and were overall pleased with our stay. The staff and the rooms were great, typically what one would expect from a homewood suites. We had a King Suite, but it was the smallest room we had ever seen amongst the 5 different Homewood Suites we have visited, it did not impede our stay nonetheless. However, the room were was spotless clean, furniture in good shape, no problems with the room whatsoever, everything worked like we expected. Only complaint is that the bathroom was so dimly lit. Why is that? Just a slightly brighter bulb would have done the trick.

We did encounter one small issue with the timing of our housekeeping on the hotel schedule and I got very irate, I found the housekeeping manager "Brad" and shared my total irritation with him. He maintained his cool and professionalism, completely diffused me with a speedy resolution, a meaningful explanation, plenty of politeness and his cool demeanor. I was impressed by this gentlemen, he should run this hotel.

We did however have a surprising disappointment. There were swimming lessons at the hotel pool, conducted by an outside company for NON HOTEL GUESTS!!! Are you kiddin' me? These lessons went on all afternoon long!! Random families started showing up each half hour in their cars right outside, kept knocking on the outside door to the pool area asking to be let in, unloaded all their swim gear from their cars and all of them jumped into the pool while their kid got a swimming lesson with the swim instructor. I have never seen anything like this!!! None of these individuals were hotel guests, they were all from the local area. It made my kids and I feel like we were impeding on a private lesson and we were made to feel like we were in the way!!! SERIOUSLY???? WE are the paying hotel guests and this pool should be for hotel guests solely and not for some third party to conduct business operations in!!! Terrible decision by this greedy owner, shame on the owner.

Anyhow, I have to give this property a 3 Star due to this. It should not really stop you from going here if you have no intention of using the pool. However, most families traveling with kids would want to know that they would be disrupting classes in the hotel pool if they wish to use the pool during the day on a weekend. I already voiced my concern to Hilton Honors Club in hopes that Hilton will have this owner correct this issue.

Again, their Manager Brad was great, Cathy at the front desk was super professional and rooms were splendid, breakfast was plentiful, quickly replenished and had plenty of choices, including pro-biotic yogurts, etc. I would recommend this property to you as long as you don't use the pool during the day.

1 Thank HardWorkingKat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
silver spring,md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was our first time at this hotel. But it will not be our last. Staff very nice and helpful. All rooms are suites and very well kept. Breakfast was well stocked and very good. Lots of choices. If you stay Mon-Thursday they serve dinner with wine and beer. WE were there for two meals and food was very good and plenty of it. Pool was very nice too. One complaint front door to register is hard to find. WE drove around for 15 minutes before we found it. All hotels should be as nice as this one.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking courtyard
Erie, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and i stayed here while we were visiting family in the area and we very much liked the hotel with all the comforts of home and a great breakfast everyday. Very clean and the hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating. Close to shopping and other sites. A great place to stay.

Wayland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family stayed here when we toured Princeton University. It lived up to what we expect from a Homewood Suites. The pool was comfortably warm, and the room was clean and comfortable. I was also pleased that we were allowed to have a late checkout when I asked. The hotel is an easy five-minute drive to the university.

Walla Walla, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I just returned from a two-night stay at this hotel. I stayed in a 1 king bed, 1 bedroom suite, which was good sized. The bedroom (complete with a comfy bed) closes off completely from the living room/kitchen area via a door, a nice plus. I found the small sofa in the living room uncomfortable to sit on, and the small dining table was somewhat awkwardly placed; it would have been difficult for two people to eat at that table simultaneously. The room was very clean and had all the amenities described on the Homewood website. The bathroom is a separate area (again, with its own door) with a toilet and tub/shower, but it's very poorly lit, especially when the shower curtain is in use. I found the general layout of this hotel to be a bit peculiar; things can be hard to find, despite good signage. The breakfast had a large variety of items, but the quality was not as good as I've had elsewhere. Most employees were polite, smiling, and quick to greet you with a "hello" or "good afternoon". The exception was the check-in staff, some of whom seemed hassled and a bit curt with guests.

The hotel is very popular with families, and blocks of rooms are often reserved for people attending celebrations. Be aware that there is a "no party" policy for the individual guestrooms, and they have mandatory quiet hours, currently from 9 pm to 8 am. Both are great ideas! The hotel makes a good base for exploring Princeton and the surrounding area.

I arrived on a Friday at about 2:15 pm (check-in officially begins at 3 pm). I had requested a very quiet room on a high floor, away from elevators, vending areas, etc. I understand that management cannot guarantee requests, but I was placed in a room on the second floor (there are four floors), directly next to the guest laundry, which is open 24/7. That didn't work for me. When I returned to the front desk at about 2:45, I was told that the only room available on a high floor faced the highway, which is busy Route 1, as "we're pretty well sold out this weekend". The only other king one bedroom suites available that didn't face the highway were either occupied or part of a block of reservations? Really? At 2:45 on a Friday afternoon? I didn't believe that, but who knows? Fortunately, I had my trusty ear plugs with me. The lesson here? If you are a light sleeper like me, insist on a room facing away from Route 1, or bring something to muffle traffic noise, because it will be an issue.

I'll be back in this area next month. I'm staying elsewhere at that time, but I will try this hotel again at some point.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed two days last week of July and was pleasantly surprised. Very large, clean hotel with a good, hot breakfast and a nice dinner in the evening. Rooms were large and clean and the pool area/hot tub was fun for the kids. Easy to get to once you figure out the NJ "U turns"

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
chester, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel did not meet my expectations. When you first pull up you proceed to drive completely around the hotel before realizing where the entrance is located. While checking in I wasn't sure if my HH# was listed and told the employee. His response was, 'I know'. Wow! Welcome to Princeton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family