“Nice Hotel and Location (Shuttle a BIG Plus)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton

Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Austin, TX
“Nice Hotel and Location (Shuttle a BIG Plus)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for a week while on business in NYC. I picked this location for the good rate (less than 1/2 of Manhattan prices), decent tripadvisor reviews, and primarily its proximity and FREE SHUTTLE to and from the Princeton Junction rail station. Made all the difference to be able to stay here in this quite nice area and take the train to/from NY Penn Station. That was a huge bonus - being able to get the hotel shuttle van to/from the train station AND to have it be able to take you pretty much anywhere within a 3 - 5 mile radius (check with the front desk). One evening, had the shuttle take me to Princeton U so I could check out the campus. It's very close and the shuttle drops you off and picks you up right in the heart of the University area. That was great.

The hotel staff - from the front desk to the breakfast/dinner area to the shuttle van drivers - were all very courteous, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and professional. Very nice since at a hotel like this you typically spend a lot of time at the property. The hotel grounds, common areas, and my room were all very clean and well-kept for the duration of my stay, and the breakfast/dinner area was kept in nice order (although the table cleaning during meal times is pretty much self-policing). Very nice and AMPLE selection of food both in the morning and evening; although choices are limited at dinner, it was always very tasty, well presented and very well stocked. That was really a nice feature, and a huge cost savings as well. I did try the Ruby Tuesday across the parking lot one evening, and was completely underwhelmed - dirty, smelled bad, and food was pricey and not very good. Sorry HS - should have stayed for the pasta night!

There are different sized rooms, mine was plenty big for 1 person, and I liked the separate room area with the couch, chairs, and TV. The couch looked like it was a pull out bed as well although I didn't confirm. It was nice having the sink, refrigerator, and dishwasher as well. My only very small complaint about the room was lack of working space - the desk/table they provided was good for one person eating, but with the lamp, phone, and small table size, it was very difficult to work and be able to have more than just the computer on the table. There was sort of a coffee table/ottoman piece of furniture in front of the couch, but it was low, leather covered, and far enough away from plugs to make it a good working space. Small nit however, didn't really detract too much from my overall stay experience.

Again, I can't stress enough the great logistical quality of this hotel - you are a few miles from the Princeton Junction train station, but if you don't go to/from there during rush hours, it only takes about 7 minutes. Princeton University is about the same - 2 or 3 miles and 7 - 10 minutes ride away. Strongly recommend going here for dinner and walking around one evening if you have the time - great area.

Used the fitness center multiple times - it's nice but very small - 2 treadmills, a stair-stepper, and some of those yoga weights; that was it. Only had to wait once however. It's in the same area as the pool and hot tub, so that's convenient - didn't try either of those however.

I would definitely stay here if in the area (NYC, Philly, or Princeton) again - if the rates are as competitive as they were this time. Adding the train fare (about $15 each way to NY Penn Station) is still worth it from a cost and transportation hassle standpoint.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Travel_Reviewer20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a typical Homewood Suites located about 2-3 miles from the center of Princeton. It is located just off of US 1 but the room was extremely quiet (and configured like most Homewood Suites). The staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel was quite clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SusaDogue
White Plains
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Had reserved a room for a quick trip. After a loooong day, we arrived quite late (close to midnight) and of course, were quite tired.
It was so refreshing to be greeted warmly and pleasantly by the front desk staff, and after getting in to the room, we were immediately at ease with the spacious room and comfortable atmosphere.

Being on a specialized eating plan due, having a refrigerator, microwave, small stove top, etc. was extremely helpful, as we had brought much of our own food. However, we did thoroughly enjoy the nice breakfast buffet. The staff there was quite helpful and 'on top of things', keeping all areas clean and in order.

Thanks again, Homewood, for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jojotrainer
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I visit Princeton several times each year; the Homewood Suites is Where I typically stay. Rooms are spacious and comfortably appointed. The kitchens are equipped with a full sized refrigerator, small stove and a microwave oven. That is more than I need but certainly nice to have.

A breakfast buffet is provided daily with a nice choice of foods both hot and cold. The dining area never seems to be over crowded or cramped.

The hotel is always clean, the staff is friendly, and the price is quite competitive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hamilton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here with my son, sister, and niece. We had a great time here. The room was nice and cozy. the bathroom was amazing with the large walk in shower. The pool on the other hand wasn't so great, it needed to be cleaned. The jaccuzi was ver clean and we enjoyed taking a dip in it. the room are a nice size, and the couch has a pull out bed! the staff was friendly. They also offer breakfast which was OK. They have a Ruby Tuesday's right across the parking lot so that was a plus as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Meyersdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Had my first (but not last!) stay there a few weeks ago. I am a business traveler and this hotel exceeded all my expectations in every way. Rooms are very spacious and well designed, staff are very attentive and responsive and the amenities are numerous. Excellent hot breakfast and evening "reception". I have stayed at most of the Route 1 corridor hotels, but this hotel is my #1 fav.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had our family reunion this year in Princeton, New Jersey. It was held by one of my cousins in the area. Most of my family lives either further south or upper north. Therefore my cousins recommend we stay at The Homewood Suites and reserved several rooms for us to do so. We had over seven rooms booked there. Now here is the situation. When I booked my room I asked for the 2 queen bed room however they didn't have any available. Therefore I reserved the one King bed room. And the hotel consultant put uner my reservation that I’d prefer a 2 queen room. My mother arrived at the hotel on Friday and there was an available 2 queen bed room. She went ahead and booked that one. I arrived that Saturday and was told by my mother that she had received the 2 queen room so we are okay. At this point I forgot I had reservations for the one king room. We had a great time with family and friends at the reunion and our stay at the hotel. Gina our hotel consultant was very nice and pleasant. My mother and I paid for our room and we left. On that Wednesday I notice a charged from the hotel and knew what it was for. Didn't think it was going to be a big deal when I called the hotel to tell them that over the weekend I was at your establishment but forgot to cancel my prior reservations. The hotel consultant said there is nothing they can do because I didn't call within the 72 hour window. I immediately called Hilton and their policy is to allow the hotel to follow their rules without them intervening. So basically the hotel policy states you'll get charged for a no-show even if you showed! I feel as though ever rule has a valid exception and believe this is one.

Room Tip: If you want to feel as if you are staying at a fair well know establish - DON'T STAY HERE!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank ACD1977
Mary Ann K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
It was wonderful to read your family reunion was a success and that our hotel setting was a perfect match for your family’s needs. I can also understand your frustration of being charged for a no show reservation even though you did not utilize the room and instead decided to share a room with your mother and not canceling your own individual reservation. I reviewed your reservation information and noted your hotmail email address was on your reservation. When an email address is attached to a reservation our system automatically generates a confirmation email recapping your reservation along with a reminder email just days prior to your arrival. The purpose of the emails is to remind our travelers of the guaranteed reservation just in case their travel needs have changed. At that point it is the responsibility of a guest to make the changes required to their reservation to avoid a no show billing. In your situation we would have waived the cancellation policy if you had alerted us to your change in plans that day however we held your room without knowing you would not be using the room therefore not allowing us the opportunity to resell the room to another traveler in need.