“Route 1 treasure”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Had my first (but not last!) stay there a few weeks ago. I am a business traveler and this hotel exceeded all my expectations in every way. Rooms are very spacious and well designed, staff are very attentive and responsive and the amenities are numerous. Excellent hot breakfast and evening "reception". I have stayed at most of the Route 1 corridor hotels, but this hotel is my #1 fav.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had our family reunion this year in Princeton, New Jersey. It was held by one of my cousins in the area. Most of my family lives either further south or upper north. Therefore my cousins recommend we stay at The Homewood Suites and reserved several rooms for us to do so. We had over seven rooms booked there. Now here is the situation. When I booked my room I asked for the 2 queen bed room however they didn't have any available. Therefore I reserved the one King bed room. And the hotel consultant put uner my reservation that I’d prefer a 2 queen room. My mother arrived at the hotel on Friday and there was an available 2 queen bed room. She went ahead and booked that one. I arrived that Saturday and was told by my mother that she had received the 2 queen room so we are okay. At this point I forgot I had reservations for the one king room. We had a great time with family and friends at the reunion and our stay at the hotel. Gina our hotel consultant was very nice and pleasant. My mother and I paid for our room and we left. On that Wednesday I notice a charged from the hotel and knew what it was for. Didn't think it was going to be a big deal when I called the hotel to tell them that over the weekend I was at your establishment but forgot to cancel my prior reservations. The hotel consultant said there is nothing they can do because I didn't call within the 72 hour window. I immediately called Hilton and their policy is to allow the hotel to follow their rules without them intervening. So basically the hotel policy states you'll get charged for a no-show even if you showed! I feel as though ever rule has a valid exception and believe this is one.

Room Tip: If you want to feel as if you are staying at a fair well know establish - DON'T STAY HERE!
1  Thank ACD1977
Mary Ann K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

It was wonderful to read your family reunion was a success and that our hotel setting was a perfect match for your family’s needs. I can also understand your frustration of being charged for a no show reservation even though you did not utilize the room and instead decided to share a room with your mother and not canceling your own individual reservation. I reviewed your reservation information and noted your hotmail email address was on your reservation. When an email address is attached to a reservation our system automatically generates a confirmation email recapping your reservation along with a reminder email just days prior to your arrival. The purpose of the emails is to remind our travelers of the guaranteed reservation just in case their travel needs have changed. At that point it is the responsibility of a guest to make the changes required to their reservation to avoid a no show billing. In your situation we would have waived the cancellation policy if you had alerted us to your change in plans that day however we held your room without knowing you would not be using the room therefore not allowing us the opportunity to resell the room to another traveler in need.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My usual place was booked up and they suggested a sister property 10 miles away. Reluctantly I agreed and made the treck to the Homewood Suites. I walked in and was greeted by Gina. She was very professional and friendly.
I was greeted by wine and beer, chicken things, salads, dessert and more. Upon entering the room it was very nice and spacious. Sleeping area, sitting area, kitchen, bathroom and dressing area, cold air conditioning, nice TV.............. I'll go back, try them sometime..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Larry P
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife booked 2 rooms for the night of Saturday, July 21, 2012; one was for my family and the other for another family of friends who were spending the weekend with us. Both rooms were booked over a week in advance on the website of hotels.com, and fully paid $155 for each room.

We chose this hotel because we needed the amenities that this hotel provides – a suite that has a kitchen. We were traveling with 2 senior citizens within our families, as well as 3 young infants, between the ages of 1 and 3. One of the infants was celebrating her 2nd birthday, and we needed the kitchen to heat up food and also cook for the 2 senior citizens.

At 11:30 pm, on Friday night, July 20, 2012, my wife was egregiously surprised by a text from hotels.com stating that our reservations are cancelled and to call immediately for alternate accommodations. At the time, I was already in bed, since we had to get up early on Saturday morning to travel to Princeton, New Jersey. We then called the hotel to find out why was our reservations canceled and was greeted by an absolutely incompetent and ignorant man answering the phone that could not provide any information what-so-ever, and kept on continuously tell us to call back at 7:30 am. He repeated himself, like a broken record, as if “call back at 7:30” is the only words he knows how to say.

We then stayed up until 2am on Saturday morning with Hotels.com to make alternate arrangements. We ended up with a room in Pennsylvania, and was 30 miles away. The room was NOT a suite, did NOT have a kitchen, and we were NOT able to do any cooking. Needless to say, the child’s birthday party was ruined!

My wife called on Saturday morning at 8:15 and was told the manager was not available. We finally got a call back from a woman named Lori, and the only explanation she can give was that the previous guess needed to extend their stay in that room. But she could not give an explanation as to why we weren’t notified until 11:30 the night before. Also, when we told her that we really needed that room in order to use the kitchen to cook for 2 senior citizens and 3 infant children, she just continuously said there is nothing she can do about it. When asked why they can not make those guess that are occupying our room move to a near by hotel, she wasn’t able to give an explanation either. Is that how the hotel trains their staff?

It is extremely disturbing that a reputable hotel, under the name of Hilton, would hire such incompetent, irresponsible, ignorant, obnoxious, and inconsiderate people, who has absolutely no regards to the well being of their consumers. Do they not understand or have any form of common sense what-so-ever? How do they expect people to make alternate hotel plans at 11:30, the night before they are supposed to check in? Do they not understand that there are senior citizens or infant children that can not just eat any kind of food, and needs to be cooked for? Unless a full refund is received, along with compensation, and a formal apology from both the hotel, as well as hotels.com, we will have no choice but to commence legal action. Both families here fell extremely violated, and will see to it that justice is served, and that this does not happen to another family or customer.

5  Thank DSCPA888
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Can't say enough about this awesome place. Everything is clean. The service is awesome, from the maid to the front desk clerk. Love having two separate rooms with a door. Loved the awesome breakfasts and evening reception. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this one is top notch! Never slept so well in such comfortable beds. Good value too!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Recently stayed here for 4 nights and it could not have been a better experience. The hotel is in great shape and our room was clean and comfortable. The one room suite was enough room for us with the pullout sofa and king size bed. Much more room than a normal hotel room. The kitchen had everything. A big money saver by being able to go to the grocery store and cook a few meals yourself.
But then again, very few meals need to be cooked since the hotel has complimentary breakfast every morning and free dinner 4 nights a week! And breakfast isn't skimpy. Even the most pickiest eater should be able to find something. Waffles. scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, bagels,etc...
Dinner was a different them every night. The 2 nights we ate there was lasagna and garlic bread with a caesar salad and the other night was pepper steak with a salad. And here's the best part: complimentary beer and wine! Are you kidding me?!!!
We used the indoor pool every day and it was clean and the hot tub worked wonders as well. We also used the complimentary shuttle to drive us into Princeton for the day and it picked us up, too. All we had to do was call when we were ready to be picked up. Very convenient.
Loved this hotel and it was a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed slighty over 2 weeks at this Hotel and simply loved being there as it is truly a home away from home. The King Suite was comfortably sized and the bed amazingly comfortable. The cooking facilities helped me as I needed my fix of home cooked food. The provision of Shuttle Service helped non-drivers tremendously. Breakfast and early dinners were super helpful in trimming tight budgets.......The staff were most helpful and polite.......

Room Tip: Choose a room away from highway US South 1. Room 425 /427 were perfect!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family