“HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE - Paid Reservations Means Nothing!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Rego Park, New York
“HORRIFIC NIGHTMARE - Paid Reservations Means Nothing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife booked 2 rooms for the night of Saturday, July 21, 2012; one was for my family and the other for another family of friends who were spending the weekend with us. Both rooms were booked over a week in advance on the website of hotels.com, and fully paid $155 for each room.

We chose this hotel because we needed the amenities that this hotel provides – a suite that has a kitchen. We were traveling with 2 senior citizens within our families, as well as 3 young infants, between the ages of 1 and 3. One of the infants was celebrating her 2nd birthday, and we needed the kitchen to heat up food and also cook for the 2 senior citizens.

At 11:30 pm, on Friday night, July 20, 2012, my wife was egregiously surprised by a text from hotels.com stating that our reservations are cancelled and to call immediately for alternate accommodations. At the time, I was already in bed, since we had to get up early on Saturday morning to travel to Princeton, New Jersey. We then called the hotel to find out why was our reservations canceled and was greeted by an absolutely incompetent and ignorant man answering the phone that could not provide any information what-so-ever, and kept on continuously tell us to call back at 7:30 am. He repeated himself, like a broken record, as if “call back at 7:30” is the only words he knows how to say.

We then stayed up until 2am on Saturday morning with Hotels.com to make alternate arrangements. We ended up with a room in Pennsylvania, and was 30 miles away. The room was NOT a suite, did NOT have a kitchen, and we were NOT able to do any cooking. Needless to say, the child’s birthday party was ruined!

My wife called on Saturday morning at 8:15 and was told the manager was not available. We finally got a call back from a woman named Lori, and the only explanation she can give was that the previous guess needed to extend their stay in that room. But she could not give an explanation as to why we weren’t notified until 11:30 the night before. Also, when we told her that we really needed that room in order to use the kitchen to cook for 2 senior citizens and 3 infant children, she just continuously said there is nothing she can do about it. When asked why they can not make those guess that are occupying our room move to a near by hotel, she wasn’t able to give an explanation either. Is that how the hotel trains their staff?

It is extremely disturbing that a reputable hotel, under the name of Hilton, would hire such incompetent, irresponsible, ignorant, obnoxious, and inconsiderate people, who has absolutely no regards to the well being of their consumers. Do they not understand or have any form of common sense what-so-ever? How do they expect people to make alternate hotel plans at 11:30, the night before they are supposed to check in? Do they not understand that there are senior citizens or infant children that can not just eat any kind of food, and needs to be cooked for? Unless a full refund is received, along with compensation, and a formal apology from both the hotel, as well as hotels.com, we will have no choice but to commence legal action. Both families here fell extremely violated, and will see to it that justice is served, and that this does not happen to another family or customer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank DSCPA888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
Kalamazoo, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Can't say enough about this awesome place. Everything is clean. The service is awesome, from the maid to the front desk clerk. Love having two separate rooms with a door. Loved the awesome breakfasts and evening reception. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this one is top notch! Never slept so well in such comfortable beds. Good value too!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
baltimore, md
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Recently stayed here for 4 nights and it could not have been a better experience. The hotel is in great shape and our room was clean and comfortable. The one room suite was enough room for us with the pullout sofa and king size bed. Much more room than a normal hotel room. The kitchen had everything. A big money saver by being able to go to the grocery store and cook a few meals yourself.
But then again, very few meals need to be cooked since the hotel has complimentary breakfast every morning and free dinner 4 nights a week! And breakfast isn't skimpy. Even the most pickiest eater should be able to find something. Waffles. scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, bagels,etc...
Dinner was a different them every night. The 2 nights we ate there was lasagna and garlic bread with a caesar salad and the other night was pepper steak with a salad. And here's the best part: complimentary beer and wine! Are you kidding me?!!!
We used the indoor pool every day and it was clean and the hot tub worked wonders as well. We also used the complimentary shuttle to drive us into Princeton for the day and it picked us up, too. All we had to do was call when we were ready to be picked up. Very convenient.
Loved this hotel and it was a great experience!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed slighty over 2 weeks at this Hotel and simply loved being there as it is truly a home away from home. The King Suite was comfortably sized and the bed amazingly comfortable. The cooking facilities helped me as I needed my fix of home cooked food. The provision of Shuttle Service helped non-drivers tremendously. Breakfast and early dinners were super helpful in trimming tight budgets.......The staff were most helpful and polite.......

Room Tip: Choose a room away from highway US South 1. Room 425 /427 were perfect!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for over 10 times, the property is nice, good location for my business visits. The "Happy Hour" they provide could be a dinner, depends how hungry or your food choices, and their drink selections are not only good but free.
Often times you see the manager doing even menial tasks. All of their staff tries to accomodate the guests requests.

Room Tip: Facing towards the Delaware Canal
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Miller Place, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you've got the family in tow (or even if you don't) you can't really go wrong with Homewood Suites. The kitchenette, the extra space, comp breakfast, heated pool, and clean hotel all add up to a nice stay with no surprises.

Ask for a room at the end of a hallway and or handicapped accessible. Rooms at the end of the hall are usually quieter and handicapped accessible means you'll get a walk in shower.

This was a good stay. Nice clean hotel. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hallways, they're usually quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I am a frequent business traveler to this hotel for over three years and I can certainly see that the quality of customer service of Front Desk, Housekeeping, Van drivers and Breakfast as well Evening dinner staff is very good with the difference of the management staff and specially the DOS. She absolutely has poor attitude issues as well as has discriminated against me on several occasions. Although, I have given them over 40 plus nights business a year but this was the worst trip ever where I was very poorly treated. For example to protect myself from rate fluctuations and from the hotel management in to keep not moving me from one room to the other during same period of time I had to make several reservations on line to get a lower rate was an absolute “NO-NO” but that is how they made me do it!!! On April 28th and 29th, 2012 the hotel had jacked up the weekend rates very high expecting business from the Princeton University Reunion event. Although, the hotel seemed to operate much below 100% occupancy the management denied continuing my room rate at $119 plus tax. They expected me to pay $189 plus tax on Sat & Sun despite the fact they know that I am one of their extended stay guests. I am truly disappointed on how they perceive business relationships and how could the junior staff at the hotel really learn from this weak leadership team. I stay at many Homewood Suites and in many other chains of hotels in Canada and USA and this behavior and attitude of the management team has really soured my taste and belief on the excellent product that Hilton has for people like us who travel from foreign countries and enjoy amenities and services that Homewood offers. It is the people who make the difference on top of the amenities that any hotel could offer and they must be ashamed of their behavior in treating me the way they did.
I must also mention that at times when the hair dryer in the room was not working well they got me a new dryer from outside and have occasionally sent some little special things like cookies and milk etc. in my room. I am thankful for that and appreciate their thoughtfulness. The Housekeeping manager Brad and his team deserve all the appreciation along with the van drivers. They are really professional and very proficient in doing what they are supposed to do. When I checked in on April 24 did not receive any bottle of water on my room as I always have!! On the morning of the next day I bring the issue to the girl on the reception at the Fdesk. She was very quick to mention that I am no longer entitled now as HH for a free bottle of water! And hence HH they did not send me any information about that was a little surprise on the quality of the hotel management team to deal with me that way!!! What is the cost of a bottle of water?!! And because I asked about the water simply to embrace me they sent after I asked them (4) four bottles of water and two packs of Milano cookies in my room Why if I am no longer should receive such small items as HH member!! Why they send it for me after I asked for it!!!!? And the Fdesk staff answered my question in a way that she is sure it is not a hotel manager mistake it is my HH status has suddenly dropped whereas, I am assuming that more points should have taken me up rather than lowering my status. I still need to check what happened there?
I urge the IHRC Group leadership team to seriously look into this team of managers and their code of conduct as they absolutely are against what the Homewood brand truly stands for. Unfortunately, although a HHonors member I will not call the complaint line to seek 100% assurance guarantee as it is not about the money but my feelings and the overall way they have been short and impolite to me has now urged me to explore the neighboring Courtyard and Residence Inn hotels when I am in Princeton, NJ next time. I come here for business 2-3 times a year and stay for 2-3 weeks during each visit each time in just one hotel. So, to the future foreign travelers be watchful of this poor management team at this hotel as they truly do not know how to respect and treat people from other countries and cultures. They lack training and professionalism. I will remain loyal to Hilton but will be very careful to watch their rate on line and not trust what the sales office of this hotel offering. Again, the frontline staff is very good in almost every department but ONLY the leadership team is absolutely arrogant and unprofessional.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business