“Still a terrific place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

McCarter Theatre Center
Ranked #5 of 50 things to do in Princeton
Morganville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Still a terrific place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our family just saw the Fiasco Theater production of Into The Woods. Everyone had a marvelous time. There isn't a bad seat in the house and the production quality was excellent. The performers were out-of-this-world!

The theater itself is gorgeous with ample free parking. Everything was clean (theater, lobby and restrooms). There was a cafe and elevators (although we didn't use these). The temperature was perfect and there was ample room to move around during intermission. We walked downtown for lunch beforehand and cupcakes afterward. Excellent location.

Visited June 2013

New Jersey, United States
“Into the Woods -outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was our first visit to the McCarter Theatre. We were impressed by Into the Woods by Fiasco Productions. I am willing to go on record as a theatre snob, and usually primarily identify shortcomings. This show, however, was phenomenal. The set design and the creative decisions on how to recreate this show were spot on. We saw this on Broadway ten years ago and I honestly was more impressed with the creative team on this production. Each cast has weaknesses, but in his case, the outstanding ensemble allowed me to overlook the few weaker links. The theatre itself was clean, had a variety of overpriced snacks, and just one bathroom for each gender with an occupancy of over 400 in the theatre, so be prepared. All the parking near the theatre is metered, but meters don't need to be filled after 7pm. There was a nice informative talk 45 minutes prior to the show, sharing insight into the collaboration and history of Fiasco. It was a nice touch and would encourage anyone seeking greater meaning to attend this talk.

Princeton, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Why go to NY to see a show?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This place is simply the best. Warm and a classy place to see a show. Who needs to travel to the city when you have this in your backyard!

Roebling, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“#1 Regional Theater in New Jersey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have been a long time subscribers to McCarter Theater's Plays. This season was one of the best! Just saw "Into The Woods" last night and it was great! The first play this season (last fall) was "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike" which has now moved to Broadway and is up for 6 Tony's! We are always surprised at the big name stars that appear in these plays and well know playwrites and directors! McCarter never fails to put on a great show!
We live in South Jersey but find that traveling to Princeton is so easy, and we always find a nice place to have dinner before the show. Princeton has many dining options and is a beautiful town to visit.
McCarter also has many other shows available during the year. We have seen comedians, musical groups, etc. The seats are comfortable with plenty of legroom (as opposed to some Broadway theaters and Philadelphia theaters we have been to) and the staff is always pleasant and helpful.
Pay them a visit - you can't go wrong!

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Into The Woods Took the Season OUT of the Woods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been a subscriber on and off for over 30 years at this venue. First of all let me say that whatever McCarter does at either the large Mathews Theatre or the smaller well appointed Berlind, it is always done with extreme precision and professionalism. While I only enjoyed two of the five plays in the series this years (two we left at intermission along with others), I would still urge patrons to go with an open mind, knowing that it will never be the "typical" anything that you might expect from other more traditional theaters. Mc Carter aims to stretch your mind... that being said, while one enjoys that to a point, they do have a growing tendency of taking that to the extreme more and more and when you settle into your comfy seat, relaxing and opening your mind, it often evokes uneasieness and discomfort when they take it to another level. the play Into the Woods was delightful and high energy and done with such skill and creativity, it makes one wish that McCarter would explore more plays like this and the one done in similar fashion about Rogers and Hart's music done with the actors as the musicians telling the story through the music and words... The play that had no words and the world was upside down (FABULOUS!), and the Delaney Sisters that went to Broadway... The Shakespeare and Greek Mythology plays... bizarre... well done, but bizarre. How about some classics of Hemmingway, other more traditional Fitzgerald (not the awful Electric Company version), current authors for some murder mystery like an old Agatha Christie, tales of intrigue, former Broadway hits of days gone by like The Boyfriend, Mousetrap, Sweeny Todd.
I love Mc Carter, always have and always will.... The additions of valet parking for the larger theater, the gourment food and wines in real wine glasses in a cafe like setting -- Fabulous additions... The Berlind needs restrooms on upper levels and better egress... but not a bad seat on the place. Perhaps extend the intermission for those who need the restrooms so you are not rushing back in a panic to your seat because the line was so long. McCarter does the BEST, absolute BEST A Christmas Carol I have ever seen... I have sent many people that have now made this their family tradition as I have mine. Over the years I have had the joy of seeing Feinstein, Carol Channing, Brian Adams and The Midtown Men to name a few. My secret wish is that you one day have Johnny Mathis or Linda Eder or Diana Krall or Englebert here. Why not jump on the SMASH series on TV and have them do their play about Marilyn Monroe or their side show showcase at McCarter? The cast is local in NY... might be worth a consideration... atleast the musical numbers without the play??? Great music!!!
I hope this helps... overall, I have had some wonderful memories through the decades attending McCarter... I would just like to see more balance in the line up... I will NOT be subscribing this season... and it pains me not to, but I will of course purchase individual shows from time to time. I must say that the staff at McCarter is TOP NOTCH and everyone really does care about the patrons... They are always wonderful to speak with and work with and that says oodles about the management. McCarter is the foundation of many happy theater/musical going experiences.... Well done!