“A bit of a disappointment for a Hampton”

Hampton Inn Princeton
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have say the scent of the cleaners used in the room was way overpowering. I also was surprised our room was not as clean as I would have liked it to be. Cups from previous guest on the floor by bed, dirty towels folded up on the towel rack, hair in multiple places in the bathroom. I stay exclusively at Hampton Inns and I have to say this one was a bit of a disappointment for these reasons.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MMiller75
Tony M, Manager at Hampton Inn Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Greetings From Princeton! Thank you for selecting Hampton Inn Princeton for your recent visit. I was very surprised to learn of your experience since this is not typically our style of how we present our guest rooms. I also researched who cleaned your room prior to your arrival and have never had any issues with this award winning housekeeper but I certainly know we are all human and mistakes can be made. In any event, I have refunded your stay for that evening back because you were not 100% satisfied and I have spoke to the housekeeping manager to make certain he maintains our usually spotless hotel. This was clearly an error and by no means do we present our guest rooms in the fashion you stated but I will take your word and hope that you give us a 2nd chance to make a better impression. Please contact me so we can regain your trust and make you a fan like everyone else that does business with us. I wish you all the best.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Princeton

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband, John and I recently booked a four night stay at this Hampton Inn & Suites on Rte. 1 in Princeton New Jersey. After staying at the Extended Stay Hotel for one night only (glad I didn't pre-pay), I frantically searched for alternative places to stay during our 5-day Christmas trip visiting family.

As many others have stated, this Hampton Inn ranks right up there with some of the best hotels around. I booked our stay via Expedia and received a great "last minute rate" with nightly rates ranging from $79.00 a night to $149.00 a night. For us, this was a great deal given the fact that it was the Christmas holiday.

Check-in was smooth and easy. As others have stated, the staff were kind, considerate and very helpful. Every imagineable space in the hotel was spotless and clean including the lobby, dining area, common bathrooms, hallways and our room.

Our queen-size bed was very comfortable and typical for all the Hampton Inns in which I've stayed. Our room on the third floor (Room 331) was spacious, comfortable and clean. My husband ate the complimentary breakfast each morning during our stay and said it was "filling, fresh and quite tasty." Television was great, shower was comfortable & clean, climate control was easy, etc. We even took advantage of the little mini-fridge in our room (placed some soda and a few beers in it).

Not much more to say about this fantastic hotel. Booking this room immeditely upon leaving the nearby Extended Stay, I knew we wouldn't have to worry because it is a "Hampton" hotel after all. Yes, Rte 1 was bumper-to-bumper traffic on a couple of days and always tends to be a heavily traveled road. The Quaker Bridge Mall is within minutes from this hotel and certainly adds to the traffic congestion in the area. Overall, this is one of the best Hampton Inns (and hotels in general) that I've ever visited. We would absolutely stay here again when traveling to Philadelphia and Central Jersey.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mat'sgirl
Tony M, Manager at Hampton Inn Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Happy New Year to our new friends in Michigan!
Thank you so much for finding us and we are happy you made the choice to check-in. We are very proud of our staff and our hotel. We are especially happy you witnessed this first-hand. Please make us your new home when you are away when traveling to the Princeton area. Thanks again for staying with Hampton Inn Princeton.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I am so so glad that i stayed here at Hampton inn!!!. It has been very very welcoming ,,i started may stay here on oct.28th 2012 , working down here , for hurricane sandy came through,, and now sadly leaving dec. 24th 2012...this has honestly been the greatest experience for me visiting any kind of hotel .... it has been a place away from home... and has made my 2 mo. Trip go by way too fast... the wonderful breakfast every morning , to the delicious dinners..to start and end every hard long working day i had while working down here....ive never had any thing like it.... the customer service is out of this world !!! There was not one thing i asked for or needed that they didn't assist me with ....the management and employees are far from none , the best in my opinion ,, and where i come from if you have the right leader that leads by example along with the hard working honest employees , you set yourself up for success !!! Tony ,manager , has done just that , he is a wonderful manager to be around as well as the same person to set conversate with, as a normal human being ,, I've really fill honored and very thankful for meeting him and very thankful for all he has done for me and my other co workers with world wide restoration....I've meet some really great people here , some enough that I've connect with on a close friendship level , that I will be staying in contact with, after i leave ,, i cant explain enough in words how awesome the people i met here are.....i almost don't even want to go home right now,, i feel like my trip is getting way short , even with the holidays approaching... this place will always be remembered by myself,, and i hope i get to visit back here and stay again....the whole staff in general are so great and do there jobs so well!!! Day staff as well as the night staff, the cleaning crew are remarkable every day its so nice after a long day from work , to come back to our place pristine clean,, it makes the night so much more relaxing !!!. I'm not meaning to leave anyone out by no means because everyone is so wonderful here,,but the ones i can name off the top of my head are daniala front desk- awesome,,, david front desk- awesome,, rick security / front desk-
awesome,, Ashley front desk - awesome,, eric morning cook- awesome,, Kevin shuttle driver- awesome , Kathy front desk - awesome,, again there are many more I've had the pleasure to meet and have made my stay so very homey, comfortable, very wonderful.... if you are looking fora place to exceed all your expectations Hampton inn - Princeton,NJ. Is the place to be , i guarantee it,,,,thanks again 5ony and all your wonderful staff here at Princeton , Hampton inn ,, I'm so very appreciative and thankful for everything y'all have done ,, i will miss every single one of you and the way I've been treated here very much...god bless you all, and have a happy Christmas and a wonderful New years!!!!! :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Keith S

Greetings Oklahoma!
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your true feelings about Hampton Inn Princeton and the team. Special thanks for all your hard work in assisting our shuttered communities with getting back on their feet from this horrible storm named Sandy. Your efforts and hard work will always be felt and remembered. We are so happy that you did not want to go home based on all the great experiences you had with us. I personally appreciate you as a guest but more so as a person. Each day you arrived back to the hotel after the crazy day (I am sure) you had, you still managed to maintain a very positive outlook, smile and a genuine appreciation for our staff. Thank you for being one of our most exciting guests and thanks for being a part of our team for a couple months. We hope that Hampton Inn Princeton will be your new home away from Oklahoma! Thank you so much for being our guest and we wish you much success in the New Year!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Fantastic customer service - nothing is too much trouble for the manager and his team to make your stay wonderful. They really do go put of there way to help and if they don't sell it in the hotel lobby - they find you an alternative supplier.

1  Thank Bazil B

Greetings to our new friends in Oklahoma!
Thank you so much for finding us again through yet another storm. Your hard work and efforts to get our fellow Jersians back on their feet following this terrible storm will not be forgotten. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Hampton Inn Princton with the wonderful world of Trip Advisor. We all enjoyed having you with us and we hope to have you back as our guest. We wish you and your company a successful New year and thank you for being a layal customer of The Hampton Inn princeton!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Rt 1 in Princeton, Nj for over 50 days doing work for hurricane sandy. I have to say it was one of the best hotel stays I've ever had. The staff was very nice and helpful in everyway. We worked late most days so I became very familiar with the night staff. They went out of their way many times to make my stay as comfortable and easy going as possible. David Green and Danielle (not sure of her last name) worked nights and always made sure I had what I needed and were super friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Princeton area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Zachary W
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Being a computer consultant, traveling 200 nights annually on the road I'm pretty critical in the service expectation of the hotels staff that I stay in. When I 1st checked into the Hampton Inn in Princeton I was warmly welcomed by the wonderful knowledgable and friendly front desk staff. The breakfast and dinners are similar to nearby cafe's in terms of food quality and presentation. Although sometimes taken for granted, the hotel shuttle bus service resources provide us road warriors with a feeling of being at home and comfortableness. I highly recommend this hotel, not only for their property functional characteristics, rather for the more important priceless value proposition of their wonderful staff, which at the end of the day, makes or breaks a pleasant hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Tony M, Manager at Hampton Inn Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Greetings to the West Coast!

Thank you so much for selecting Hampton Inn Princeton as your home far away from your California home. Special thanks for your kind comments as we share all our Trip Advisor comments with our entire team. Please consider us anytime you are in the Princeton area and we wish you the best this holiday season.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was working in nearby Pennington, which looked to be only 10 miles away.
It took 90 minutes to commute to the hotel, in-part because my Garmin GPS had me do several U-turns on the pike, which aren't easy at the best of times, some for no reason, It also thought that the nearby Homewood suites was the Hampton but that may have been a downloaded Hilon POI list.

When I finally got there, I stood in reception for what seemed like a while behind some guy who decided he was going to make multi-week reservations with the one and only person on reception at 6pm. I just wanted my key, but really, who stands in reception at peak time to make reservations? - did he have neither computer, nor phone?

I was saved from having to go out again by the reception meal, which was pulled pork. I'm spoiled with that coming from NC, but it was certainly better than nothing - beer and wine too, which I don't recall seeing at Hamptons elsewhere.

Lots of workmen types traipsing through the dining area in filthy clothes were noticeable.

The room wasn't bad, I appreciated it being fairly quiet, didn't hear any noise from neighbors, or the corridor at all. Fridge, microwave and HDTV with DirecTV that had about as many channels as I have at home. Clean iron, no real complaints.

In-fact, my biggest issue was the awful traffic and that congested pike that the hotel is on.

Hello North Carolina!

Thank you for visiting Hampton Inn princeton for your recent stay. My apologies for your excursion on the NJ road system as it can can be challenging. As for the person holding up the front desk with several future reservations, thank goodness they like us and my apologies for your delay. I agree that North Carolina has great barbecue but the best thing about ours is that dinner is included with complimentary beer & wine. Our entire area is filled with contractors and special services who are cleaning up from a record breaking stom named Sandy and I agree that their outfits at the end of the day are not the most attractive but I do know they are working hard to assist us in our ongoing recovery and we are happy they are here. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again here in Princeton. We wish you a great holiday season!