“Excellent hotel, friendly staff”

Hampton Inn Princeton
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ferns, Wexford, Ireland
“Excellent hotel, friendly staff”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn, Princeton for 3 nights while attending an event at Princeton University and I can't say emphatically enough how delighted I was that I had chosen to stay here. The staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are spacious, comfortable and well equipped (mine had a fridge (normal) and a microwave - something one very rarely gets in Europe), and the service was top notch

Some particularly good things include:
As I was travelling on business, the free wired AND wireless wifi available in the room was particularly appreciated
The way that meals are done, with an excellent selection of breakfast items and a buffet dinner provided Monday-Thursday, which was tasty and satisfying after a long drive, with guests being able to just find themselves a table in the comfortable lounge area and eat in a relaxed setting.
The free shuttle van to Princeton University was excellent.
The staff - I've already mentioned them, but it bears mentioning again - any hotel is only as good as its staff and the staff at the Hampton Inn are excellent in all areas.

The only real con, and it's not something the hotel can do anything about, is that US 1 can be a bit confusing for international visitors. If you go out for a meal in the evening for example, you need to remember that GPS might not necessarily tell you that you can't turn left at quite a few of the local junctions, or indeed straight out of the hotel! Check Google maps etc. and work out where you can make turns before you leave! Alternatively the hotel brochure includes several places which deliver to the hotel. Local calls are free so it's a handy option!

All in all, this hotel is somewhere I'd be delighted to recommend to anyone and would stay at again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I would imagine the rooms which face onto Highway 1 are probably noisier than those that don't...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dominic S
Tony M, Manager at Hampton Inn Princeton, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Cheers from the States!
The staff and management thank you for selecting Hampton Inn Princeton and we especially thank you for going out of your way to share these great experiences with Trip Advisor. It makes all of us proud that we can make our guests satisfied. You traveled a long way from Ireland and knowing you were satisfied makes us proud of what we do. I will share your comments with the entire staff and next time you are in the neighborhood, please consider our genuine hospitality once again. Thank you so much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel was great! I had a very nice time here. The staff were really nice and hospitable. The rooms were cozy and comfortable. The breakfast was good, there was a good variety. There is also a BBQ area where you can grill by the heated pool. There are tons of restaurants in the area within 6 miles from the hotel. There is a shuttle bus at this hotel but I didn't use it. Overall nice comfortable stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are ok, no spectacular room area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tony M, General Manager at Hampton Inn Princeton, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello From Princeton!
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experiences and a special thank you for selecting Hampton Inn Princeton for your recent visit. I will share all your feedback with our entire team as they love hearing from our guests. You have a new home away from home in Princeton and we look forward to your return soon.
Fresno, California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were originally planning to stay 1 night but we had such a nice room and the hotel staff was extremely helpful so we changed our reservation from the Hampton Inn at La Guardia and spent a second night in Princeton. The first night we noticed that one of the people traveling with us had forgot to bring a toothbrush so we went into the lobby to purchase one. The desk person said that he had complimentary toothbrushes and other products that he could give us. We had a frig and microwave in the room and there were items to purchase in the lobby since there was no restaurant close by. Also had a wonderful continental breakfast set up that was available from 6AM to 10AM. They also have complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate available 24 hours per day. The room was quite cozy and comfortable, the beds were great, and it was very quiet. The only thing I did not like was that the air conditioner was a bit noisy, but as tired as we were it did not pose any problem for us. Am planning on making another trip to this area and will be staying at this same hotel. Thanks to all the Princeton Hampton Inn employees for making us feel very welcome, at home, and comfortable. You guys are great.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 3rd floor one night and the first floor right in the pool area the second night and bo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Greetings from Princeton!

Thanks for staying with us here at The Hampton Inn Princeton and thanks for changing your plans to add another night. We appreciate your comments and I will share all of your great experiences with the entire team in which I am very proud of. Next time you are in Princeton, you have a new home away from home. Enjoy the Fall Season!
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business. Staff was very polite and accommodating. I had trouble connecting to WIFI and had to call the troubleshooting website. The staffer solved my issue in minutes, but when I left with my laptop for a meeting outside the area and returned to the inn that night, I had the same issue. I was too tired to call tech support again so I had to let it go for the night. Appreciated the complimentary breakfast in the a.m., despite the fact that I was so late that I had to take a bagel and coffee to go. The bed was super comfy, the room was clean and the shower was hot. Can't ask for better on a business trip.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We received a warm welcome from the Front Desk Agent upon our arrival. She confirmed my request for a "quiet room" had been taken care of-- without my having to ask her. This was a nice start to our stay. The lobby and common areas were very clean, bright and well-maintained. Upon entering our room, it was very clean and fresh smelling. The first thing that caught my eye, however, was the terrible state of the carpet. There was a trail of stains from the center of the room all the way to the vanity. I understand that the hotel is in the process of replacing the carpet throughout the guest rooms... so I can let this slide. Aside from the stained carpet, the room was well-maintained and housekeeping did a very nice job. All surfaces and fixtures were clean. A mini-fridge and a microwave in the room were a nice surprise! The king bed was very comfortable. I had requested a room toward the back of the hotel (overlooking the pool) to escape the traffic noise from the very busy street. I rested well on the first night. However, on the second night we were awakened around 2 AM by a loud group of guys congregating around the fire pit (poolside). I can't fault the hotel for this, but I would suggest perhaps a night security guard to prevent such disturbances. Breakfast was well-stocked, quiet and orderly. The breakfast area is very comfortable-- a good place to start the day. We had a very nice stay, and would not hesitate to stay here again.

PROS: Free in-room Wi-Fi, nice complimentary breakfast, comfortable king bed, mini-fridge & microwave in-room, good variety of cable channels.

CONS: Located off a very busy street

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, definitely request a room at the back of the hotel (away from the str...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CincyFlier
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were in town for a wedding some stayed here for one night. Great stay! A great cozy room and friendly staff. The hotel had a great lobby with a lot of things you couldnpurchase ifnyou were hungry or forgot something. We didn't take advantage of this but it was nice it was there. We had a noe telling us our sheets and duvet cover were clean which was interesting. I would hope they are always clean. Good breakfast in the morning. It was a good stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was staying for 2 weeks visiting the area for business and was greatly surprised by this property (in a positive way): being low end of Hilton chain, Hampton usually offered good service with free internet, that's it. This property provided 2 types of free internet including free ATT hotspot (worked best for my wireless ATT devices) and different breakfast options every other day and -!- full-blown dinner with -!- wine and beer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business