“Not up to snuff”
Review of Tre Piani

Tre Piani
Reserve with OpenTable
Tre Piani is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 197 Restaurants in Princeton
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: College Road West
Transit: The 600 bus stops throughout the day and evening
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Went there Christmas Eve.
Started out OK with appetizers. After that we received the wrong meals and wine. I ordered Tuna. I asked what type of tuna. I was told Ahi, served sushi style. It was a thin slice that had a sauce on it. I think I got the salad tuna. The other guests were not impressed. To top things off they charged us for a $100 bottle of bubbly we did not order, or drink! They removed it immediately so no issue with the bill. I went there five years ago and it was great. This time it was a big disappointment. Maybe the owner should focus on being a chef rather than writing books.

1  Thank francissp

Reviewed December 12, 2012

It had been several years since I had the pleasure of dining at Tre Piani and I had forgotten what a treat it was. I used to come here with my client because it was her favorite place on the Route 1 corridor. The fare is very upscale and the ambiance casual enough to come more frequently. It is just as appropriate for a client lunch as it is for a romantic dinner.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Alright, I have been here many times. It's not always "consistent" but the food is usually very good and the service can be great depending on the server. Tonight we came early because we had small children with us. The service was excellent (a short woman...didn't introduce herself). We did see the Manager and he accomodated my son's special request (because he is on a special diet). The Manager or Owner is a jolly, kind man who seems to love his job. The restaurant looked spectacular and clean. The rack of lamb just delicious. I was not that crazy about the seafood salad (referenced on the Food Network) but it just wasn't my thing. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and food and while a bit more expensive, for the food and service it was definitely worth the visit.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We go about once a year to Tre Piani. As always Giancarlo was lovely and funny. Our waiters however didn't think we were worth introducing themselves to. We were four people and we ordered cocktails which were excellent, so we thought a promising start. We ordered calamari (usually our fave appetiser here) and the shredded fresh mozzarella. The calamari was tough, salty and loaded with smoked paprika. The shredded mozzarella was delicious, except we had to ask the waiter (who continued to be anonymous) if we could have one more piece of toast since we were four people. We ordered the pine crusted scallops, Sicilian pasta, grilled tuna... my scallops wer cooked to perfection but the pine nuts were a waste because they brought little to the coating, and had a very sweet reduction... the tuna was cooked to perfection by the avocado rice was tasteless and the worst offender was the Sicilian pasta which lacked the toasted breadcrumbs and was drowning in olive oil. I love my olive oil, but not enough to go fishing in. The creme brulee we ordered for dessert was good, but the cheese platter was mehhh. What was surprising was the sommelier, a charming young blonde (no name again) could not suggest a white wine for us, so Giancarlo helped. Then she was also trotted out as the cheese expert and could not tell us much about them And there's Giancarlo to the rescue again. Despite a Groupon coupon, we paid $139 per couple. Allow me to direct you to Olivier Roellinger, a 3 star Michelin Chef in Normandy, where we paid about 120 euros per person including wine for a 6 course seafood meal. Tre Piani was simply: sad. And a waste of money and an evening. Of course we won't be returning. I said this on their FB page and no reply. And my comment disappeared. Fancy that!

1  Thank usamant1
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have never been disappointed at their menu. It can be a bit noisy but that is true with all restaurants nowadays with high ceilings and no window coverings. Aside from that, the food has been exceptional.