“Lovely Hotel”

Chauncey Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 3, 2010

The grounds were beautiful... the trees were changing colors and were just amazing. The staff was very friendly, and despite some issues with our reservations (being sort of double booked? it was strange), everything worked out fine. They accommodated our request to have champagne and a gift bag delivered to the bride and groom's room during the wedding. My only small complaints are that all the meals in the dining room are buffets, and that the bar is only open for a limited time (they do serve food to order) and close if they aren't busy enough. That being said, the breakfast was great, and the bar did stay open after the wedding. Overall a great place.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 25, 2010

Excellent hotel, nice, spacious rooms, scrumptious breakfast buffet, serenely set in the rolling hills of the ETS campus. But it's in the middle of nowhere, so really the only reasons to go are to do work for ETS or to get away from the world.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I was at Chauncey for 3 days as part of an ETS conference (ETS is on the grounds). The setting was beautiful, peaceful and a nice getaway from reality (even if I was "working" while I was there). The room was basic, but nicely appointed - bed was SUPER comfy. The toiletries in bathroom were fantastic. Everything was very clean. The accomodations reminds me of an upscale "lodge'. The outdoor pool was nice, serene...and a great, refreshing temperature. I ate in the dining room for every meal - it was buffet style (part of my business meeting), and the meals were very good. I always could find something I liked. Went to the bar once and service was good; bar food was average fare - which was perfect. The snacks for our business meeting were great - and never ending. Conference facilities were great as well. Also, i really liked how there were computers and printers set up all over the place for use of guests - free access. Very nice. There was also a free shuttle to use to go into Princeton. It just had to be reserved ahead of time. I used that twice - very easy, and Princeton is a great little town to visit. We also had some others in our group that chose to take the train from Princeton into NYC - an easy and cheap train ride on NJ transit - and takes just about an hour into Penn Station. I have another meeting in Feb and will be staying at Chauncey, and very much look forward to my stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Wow. The hotel itself was good, but a walk through the forest in the grounds is the main reason for the high marks in this review. I went for a jog with the deer and wildlife and came across a very pretty river.

Bar staff went above and beyond in helping us after we missed dinner, and staff gave us access to the free laundry which was very nice. Breakfast was over very quickly, but this stay was worth repeating

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2010

From the minute I checked in with Ashley & Jeff I knew we were in a great place...superior customer service and a gorgeous room, very comfy bed and wonderful accessories and plush towels in the bathroom - not sure how much better it gets than this. We were very pleased with everything and free internet was certainly a bonus. It is only a few minutes away from downtown Princeton but I don't understand how so many people couldn't find it! Little more challenging at night but clearly indicated on the sign and little signs driving onto the grounds. Would stay here again in a heartbeat! Pool, tennis courts & volleyball nets all set up....bring your sneakers!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
tampabby, General Manager at Chauncey Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you choose us next time you are back to the Princeton area.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Room was dirty when I checked in.
Ordered room service that took almost an hour to be delivered.
Service in the "restaurant" was hit or miss. Staff did not seem to want to wait on me wherever I was. There was no leadership or management present. Thought I saw a manager at one point but he ducked into kitchen before I could voice an opinion.
Buffett in morning was alright. Make sure to get there the moment they open at dinner otherwise food will be old and cold.
Bartender was the only pleasant person I encountered in the evenings.
"Gym" was sub par.
Overall, for the money, I would go somewhere else. Environment outside of hotel was nice. Good thing the staff wasn't in charge of that.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank undrearth

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your last stay. I greatly apologize for the poor experience that you had. This certainly is not the type of service that we are striving for each and every day. I will share your experience with my staff so that this type of experience doesnt' happen again.

Reviewed November 11, 2009

My goal was to not spend an arm and a leg just to visit for one evening in Princeton. I priced all the Princeton area hotels I could find on the Internet. Chancey Conference Center was not as expensive as the hotels along Route 1. I then went to TripAdvisor to read the reviews. Most reviews were positive but the few negatives were things like "secluded," "hard to find," or "didn't allow alcohol to be brought in." None of those was a negative to me so we gave it a try.
It would have been helpful to have a lighted sign at the entrance to the campus of the Chancey Conference Center, but thanks to the reviewers at TripAdvisor, I knew how to locate the place in the dark.
What I found pleasantly surprising is that the inn wasn't decorated in the regular blues and pinks and floral paintings that you find in most hotels. Instead I was greeted with earthtone colors, wood, stone, and leather. The furnishings reminded me of an Art Deco style. There were many comfortable lounging areas complete with a fire blazing in the fireplace. The gas fire looked so real that I had to inspect it up close to be sure. There were several comfortable nooks throughout where Internet stations were set up with printers. Starbucks coffee, Tazo tea, and fresh fruit was offered in the lobby.
The hotel staff was friendly and courteous.
OK. Great start. Now on to the room.
Our room was spacious with two queen beds with down pillows and comforters. A patio with furniture opened to a quiet area with a view of the pond and fountain. It was too cold for us to enjoy, though. The bathtub and tiles were sparkling clean. I wish I could get my bathroom to shine like that. The towels were large and fluffy and displayed with care. The shampoo, creams, etc. were of good quality. I liked that there was also a magnifying mirror set up in the bathroom.
Other reviews complained of noisy heaters. Not ours. It was the quietest night sleep I have had in ages. Wireless Internet connected immediately to my laptop.
The breakfast buffet was included in our price and was surprisingly good. There was a staff member to create fresh omelettes with a variety of ingredients available. My husband had his made with Egg Beaters. I enjoyed the lox and bagels, cavier, and fresh fruit. The regulars - scrambled eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, etc. was available but there was also Cream of Wheat, brown sugar, dried fruits, and nuts (to mention a few). A very nice server brought us coffee and fruit juice.
We plan on returning and staying longer the next time we visit the area. We did not get the opportunity to enjoy the running/biking trails, the large fitness room, pool or other amenities they have to offer.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple