“Outstanding Soul Food Dinner Only”
Review of Cafe 44

Cafe 44
Ranked #112 of 197 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I recently went to this restaurant which used to be Tortugas Mexican restaurant (which moved across the street). The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. I had a shrimp po boy which was equal to what I have eaten in New Orleans accompanied by string beans that were the best I have ever had. My husband had chicken and waffles which were divine and a side of collard greens. I tasted the collard greens which I usually don't care for and they were delicious. There was no weird after taste that I have had when I have tried them previously. The service was perfect as well. I hope people give this gem a try so we can keep this undiscovered treasure in business. It is so worth it!!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped in there for lunch on Memorial Day. The Bacon, Tomato and Avocado sandwich was excellent - crisp bacon and thick slice of creamy avocado. My wife loved her brie and spinach omelette, and the home fries were delicious. My brother said his blueberry pancakes were excellent, too. My chef salad was OK - everything was fresh, and the balsamic vinagrette was good, but it was pretty plain - no bacon, and they forgot to put on the hard boiled egg and feta (bit did bring it after I reminded them).

It's a pretty long walk, and the prices were fair (as in not inexpensive for a place this out of the way) - I was a little put off when they charged for refills on the iced tea.

Overall, good food - but room for improvement on the dining experience.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Run by local Princetonians, Cafe 44 is conviently located a mile from downtown Princeton. In the traditional black section of town.
The food is classic southern style, with all fresh ingredients. The staff is makes you feel like you have come home again. Congenial, knowledge about the food, with efficient service.

website www.cafe44princeton.com

1  Thank Adam B
Reviewed January 17, 2013

It's some really good food. I love eating there and in the evening it turns into this really good soul food cafe called Cafe 44 Fusion. Try it, you'll go back for more

Reviewed October 31, 2012

A comfortable, laid-back place open 7:30am till 3pm (closed Mondays). Here's their menu:

Breakfast is served all day. Excellent omelettes. Best waffles ever. Excellent coffee

This is a great place to meet for a chat or for checking your email - there's free Wi-Fi. Ambiance is relaxed West Coast, a rare find in the East.