“Great place”

Sonesta ES Suites Princeton
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Wonderful 2 week stay for work. Central location for NJ area between NYC and Philadelphia. Front desk staff was excellent - able to handle unusual billing request as well as professional. Suites are large and clean - not necessarily new, but not worn out. Breakfast and evening appetizers always hit the spot. Traffic in the area is always difficult, the location worked out great for us.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are more quiet, but require climbing steps.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed February 17, 2012

A pretty good place, although quite worn in the rooms. But for a long term stay it would be a decent place since it is like an apartment. In fact it felt so much like an apartment that I have to wonder if this property used to be apartments. I would guess that is the case.

The lobby is nice and the breakfast quite good. The staff was friendly. I was there on a weekend so can't comment on the week-night food. The pool was closed for winter, but the indoor hot tub was open and is nice. It is housed in its own little 'house' next to the pool.

I agree with a previous post that the Queen bed was more likely a Full. The TV's are really old and really small. As I said, the furniture and furnishings are pretty worn. And I also didn't like the fire place that was left in place, but not functional anymore with a sign that said 'this fireplace is only for show'. I thought that was pretty cheesy.

Overall I'll give it an average since some things were pretty good and others not so good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My family and I had a great experience at the hotel. the room was very comfortable and spacious. we got a family room with 2 bedrooms attached, and we actually shared a living room and a kitchen. it was a very pleasant stay. about 7min driving to princeton, shops and malls. the breakfast was very good but the same everyday. the price was also great. we loved it all.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sabrina B
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Overall our experience was fine. However, the supposedly Queen size bed seemed very small. I truly doubt is was a full Queen.
On a good note, I like their "green" approach to running their business. And the front desk staff was FANTASTIC!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Awesome hotel to stay with all amenities, shuttle service to work. Accessable to Malls and Restaurants. Nice location. Rooms are big and refreshing. Provide morning breakfast. Evening snacks 3 days a week

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sriram599
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here recently ,with 2 couples .Nice for a group -2 bedrooms ,2 bathrooms a living room and a kitchen ,so you have enough room for all . But ,strictly a "no-frills" place ,don't even have housekeeping on the weekends unless you request it in advance.
We had 2 major problems .They would not let the other couple in the room ,until the person who had made the reservation was there,even though we told them that that would happen. They kept insisting that the couple wait in the lobby for the reservation-maker,a wait that would have been about 4 hours ,the desk-clerk finally relented and let them in.
The second problem was that we had made a reservation for 3 nights ,but when we arrived ,we told them that we had to leave after 2 nights ,but they refused to refund ,or not charge us for the 3rd night that we were not going to use..
There are alot of options on this stretch of Rt 1 ,we will not be going back to the Staybridge Suites.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank bayman
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Travelling nearly 300 out of 365 days of year, I have a lot of experience for reviewing a hotel whether as a business or pleasure traveller. I always try and write an honest, pro and con review and will try to endeavor once more - though my opinion on this one is dropping fast.I booked through Priceline - so I had no idea of the choice of chain -- just general location and star rating. This is touted as a 3-star hotel - it's 1.5 at best for business - 2-star for leisure.

The rooms are all suites. Previousy (under different branding) I shared a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with my business partner. We each had a bedroom with a private bath and when the kids came over for the weekend - they slept on the pullout couch in the living room.
This is a great place for kids - but is no longer a place where I would ever go again for an extended business stay. The name has changed as well as the expectation of quality. If you have mobility issues or visiting guests who have trouble with climbing stairs, there are no elevators. You need to ask for a first floor room.

When I arrived I was given a room on the first floor - which is usually my preference when security is not an issue. However, their were guests above me in another 1 bedroom suite. This large party included at a minimum 2 adults and 3 children. The room also smelled of food odors and poorly masked pet odors. I asked the front desk clerk if there was any way to change where I could be on the top floor for more quiet.

the desk clerk moved me to a 3rd floor, single suite in the back of the complex. Although I thanked her for accomodating me in this matter by remarking I would get some needed exercise, her demeanor did not improve from not quite hostile but no way near pleasant.

The staff at this hotel isn't the most friendly and accomodating staff I have ever dealt with - but they're better than most I've seen in my travels. I was very disappointed to see that there were plenty of 2nd floor vacancies - so putting me so far in the back and away from the main lodge may have been coincidental - but it was as bad as the first room in other ways.

Although the room was spacious and featured a full kitchen, a not so nice amenity was the smell of food odors & mold. The kitchen was extremely dated in decor: the refrigerator had a broken bottom drawer; all the counters were chipped; and the room wasn't cleaned properly evidenced by the fact that there was trash in the kitchen.

Thank heaven I always keep an emergency roll of toilet paper. There was an empty roll and no extras in the bath area. There were 2 bath towels & hand towels - but only one washcloth. The kitchen towels were dingy & shade of light yellow brown - so I wouldn't even attempt preparing any meal in the compact kitchen for sanitation reasons.

Another surpise was roaches...ugh! I was too tired after the 3.5 hour trip - so I just decided to buy bug spray, chlorox and Febreze the next day. After all it was only a 4 night trip.

Now about the bedroom area - The bed was the most uncorfortable as they come. The pillows also reeked of food odors. So another expense - off to the mall for my own pillow. The bed was a full - not a queen as advertised. Trying to remain positive was becoming harder for this inspirational speaker.

The hotel features a social hour Monday to Thursday; however, by the time I finished my meetings - the show was over. There is also a free breakfast with hot and cold choices including fruit, eggs, and bacon OR sausage. If you have an early deparature schedule - you won't be able to take advantage of this amenity either. I leave between 6:45 am and 7:00 am most days - and each time the breakfast set up hadn't been ready.

I was not impressed with what the quality received for the amount paid. I would only stay here again only there were no other viable alternatives or if I had to travel with my pet. I would only recommend this hotel to a friend with strong caveats - stressing only how the hotel does accomodate families and pets.

One final note, this is an extended stay hotel and not in any way a resort hotel. I did complain to the management and the message was not taken seriously. They are quite aware of the shortcomings and from their demeanor & actions - obviously don't care.

Many of the lodgers are there for entire seasons & some just overnight. Very scary are the guests that rent a suite for a party and many non-guests lurking in the rear parking lot. If I were to advise a female colleague, I would insist that she request accomodations away from the rear of the property for security's sake and for health's sake due to the mold on the walkways and structures.

I hope this helps others during their visit to Princeton.

Room Tip: Don't take a room at the rear of the property - if possible stay on the 2nd floor of the buildin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business