“Lovely Little Place with a Big Pricetag”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Peacock Inn

The Peacock Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Lafayette, California
“Lovely Little Place with a Big Pricetag”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This boutique hotel has charisma. The staff are welcoming and if you stay a few days they become almost like family. The rooms are small, but well appointed. Because the hotel is a converted historic mansion it lacks an elevator, which is not ideal if you have loads of luggage--which I did because I was installing my daughter into the Princeton University dorms. The staff was kind enough to store most of our luggage in the hotel's basement. It was very convenient to be within walking distance to Princeton University's dorms. However, this convenience came with a hefty pricetag!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your time while at The Peacock Inn. We are glad that you chose to stay with us, and enjoyed your time while moving your daughter into the Princeton University dorms. I am very happy to hear the compliments regarding our incredible staff. The goal at The Peacock Inn is to create an experience by having top service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peacock Inn in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I hesitate to write this review as this lovely comfortable inn only has 12 rooms -- I hate to give away what I consider a very big secret! It is certainly the nicest hotel in the area. Located within walking distance to Princeton University and the town, it allows visitors to enjoy the quiet streets and gardens of the area without constantly getting in the car. Actually, if your agenda is visitng the University, you could easily take the train down, taxi to the hotel and never need a car.

Run like a very elegant B&B, each room is small, but nicely furnished with a comfortable bed and well appointed private bath . Unlike a traditional B&B, however, there are no creaking stairs or the flushing of other people's toilets to be heard through the walls -- the building has been renovated to the highest standard. The mattress on the bed is firm but soft on the top and the pillows plentiful. The shower with multiple shower heads, features Molton Brown toiletries. There is a restaurant downstairs, which serves decent, if fussy dinners.

If I could change one thing about the lovely Peacock Inn, it would be the fact there is no place to sit for guests on the main floor, other than the restaurant. If I were Queen for the Day, I would refurnish one of the dining spaces to double as a small lounge for guests during the day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pfpedersen
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for the incredible review of The Peacock Inn. We appreciate the time that you took to recommend us, and share your secret. Don't worry, there are more than 12 rooms, there are actually 16! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us while you were in Princeton, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. We encourage you to try the award winning restaurant, and we promise to exceed your expectations. We understand the need for a place for guests during the day, and encourage you to come down and sit in the bar area while you are around during the day. When it's nice outside, there is comfortable seating out on the porch as well.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

You can't beat being able to walk to everything in Princeton. After that, the Peacock Inn is problematic, but not for lack of trying. The rooms are small, but comfortable. The bed was the hardest we have ever slept on and the shower pressure was weak. We also had a problem with noise coming from the kitchen staff cleaning on a Saturday evening as well as our next door neighbors whose kids we could hear through the air vents in the bathroom. The staff is diligent and works with what they have. For one night, it is expensive, but convenient. But if you were going to be there longer, we would look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blackandgold1
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Peacock Inn. We are so glad that you have chosen to stay with us. We are happy to hear that you were happy with the location and the staff. We hope next time that you will be able to enjoy the award winning restaurant.
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was staying in Princeton for four days to attend my Alumni Week at Westminster Choir College, which I graduated from 40 years ago. Since I had travelled by train from Arizona and did not wish to rent a car, that left me with two places within the town, Peacock and the Nassau. I have known that the Peacock was there for many years, but have never been to this establishment. Overall, I was pleased. Yes, I know this is Princeton, not known for being a slum, it is just that I find the accommodations fairly nice, but not particularly a good value for $247.50 per night.. That is the main fault, but then again there is hardly any competition within town. It is a beautiful building and it is nicely planted out front on the side of the busy street. One might hope that there were more grounds or gardens around the building, but the rest of the property is taken up by a driveway and parking lot out back. I have no complaints about the staff, who were very friendly and cheerful to me.
I did have the pleasure of dining one night in the restaurant and opted for the premium priced tasting menu with wine pairings. This was indeed quite expensive, but I must say I enjoyed my meal. The Continental breakfast is nothing to write home about, and one of the mornings found me having breakfast over at the Nassau Inn.
I was pleased that I have made the acquaintance of the Peacock Inn and it was an easy walk of about a mile to my college. It is nice on this trip to be taking the train and not having to drive everywhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Peacock Inn. I am so glad that you were able to experience not only the only Small Luxury Hotel of the World in the state of New Jersey, but also one of the top restaurants! I hope you had a safe trip home, and next time that you are in Princeton, I hope that you will be able to join us again.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Peacock Inn during a recent visit to Princeton. I was told that the hotel was recently renovated. The room was quite nice and the Inn was charming. I did not have a chance to eat dinner there, but the menu looked great. I had a continental breakfast and the muffins were homemade and excellent.
The location is really good - close to town so you can walk to everything.
This is definately someplace I would stay again given the chance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Peacock Inn and your time in Princeton. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Took my family to Princeton to look at the school and we stayed at The Peacock Inn. I made my reservation through the Small Luxury Hotels of the World. Rate details: Rate includes 1 bottle of Tattinger champagne in room on ice at check-in, 10 percent savings on dinner in the Peacock Inn Restaurant, continental breakfast, including coffee, tea, breads, pastries, parking, wifi, late checkout, room upgrade based on availability. Check in was really not a problem, but when we went to our room, which was tucked in tightly under the eaves of the home, there was a vibration and constant noise. I went back down and asked for a different room and also about my champagne and about the room upgrade. I was told that they do not do that, but the front desk would arrange to move us into another room while we were out roaming the campus. After our walk we returned to find that they had indeed moved us to a much more comfortable room. Another employee was working the desk, so I showed her on my IPAD the registration and the room rate guarantee. She also had never heard of this type of reservation, but she did send us up a bottle of champagne. We did not attempt to eat dinner at the hotel, although it did smell great and I am sure it was lovely. We asked for a late checkout as well, but were told the room was occupied for the following night and they could not honor that. However, the front desk employee kindly took our bags and stored them for the day, and we didn't have any problems with that arrangement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank spott
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at The Peacock Inn. We are so glad to hear of your wonderful experience at The Peacock Inn and at Princeton University. Princeton is a great town with lots to do and so much history. Small Luxury Hotels of the World is an incredible group of independently owned boutique and luxury hotels, and The Peacock Inn is proud to be a member. I apologize that we were unable to fulfill your late check-out and did not originally have the bottle of Tattinger Champagne in your room. The goal at The Peacock Inn is to offer incredible service and to make sure that each of our guests stay is wonderful. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peacock Inn, and hope that next time you can join us in the restaurant.
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a family brunch outting here one Sunday. I'm scoring it a 3/5 because overall the food was fine, but it wasn't the caliber of elegant early dining experience I was expecting, or that we paid for. I probably won't go back, there's better places to eat in Princeton.

Parking is impossible if you don't do valet. I showed up a bit late for our reservation and waited for a few minutes at the empty stand before parking myself in a slim spot and then giving him my keys as he reappeared and I went in.

The atmosphere is nice enough - but if you're looking for an old authentic looking new england inn, this is not the place. Its been redone very well but I feel its classic charm has been painted over and the same vinyl sticker of a peacock is in every room. The highlight and redeeming factor though are the framed drawings from the basement wall, an old prohibition era speakeasy, that were done by a New Yorker cartoonist. I got so excited to go check out the old bar, only to find out that it wasn't there anymore.

I do have to speak to the service though. I can't say it was bad, but it wasn't great. There was a misunderstanding in ordering, I guess our waiter didn't know what "vegan" meant. The Vegetable Scrabble *did* have eggs. They didn't hesitate to offer in replacing it for free with just veggies, so that much was great. But then when it came time for refills I think 3 or 4 different people asked if we needed more coffee... but then never came back. It took getting up and asking someone else to get some. Then after we got dessert menus we had to wait so long for someone to show back up that we didn't have time to get any.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family