“Nice place for sure, but rather pricy for what you get.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Peacock Inn

The Peacock Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Nice place for sure, but rather pricy for what you get.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was staying in Princeton for four days to attend my Alumni Week at Westminster Choir College, which I graduated from 40 years ago. Since I had travelled by train from Arizona and did not wish to rent a car, that left me with two places within the town, Peacock and the Nassau. I have known that the Peacock was there for many years, but have never been to this establishment. Overall, I was pleased. Yes, I know this is Princeton, not known for being a slum, it is just that I find the accommodations fairly nice, but not particularly a good value for $247.50 per night.. That is the main fault, but then again there is hardly any competition within town. It is a beautiful building and it is nicely planted out front on the side of the busy street. One might hope that there were more grounds or gardens around the building, but the rest of the property is taken up by a driveway and parking lot out back. I have no complaints about the staff, who were very friendly and cheerful to me.
I did have the pleasure of dining one night in the restaurant and opted for the premium priced tasting menu with wine pairings. This was indeed quite expensive, but I must say I enjoyed my meal. The Continental breakfast is nothing to write home about, and one of the mornings found me having breakfast over at the Nassau Inn.
I was pleased that I have made the acquaintance of the Peacock Inn and it was an easy walk of about a mile to my college. It is nice on this trip to be taking the train and not having to drive everywhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Peacock Inn. I am so glad that you were able to experience not only the only Small Luxury Hotel of the World in the state of New Jersey, but also one of the top restaurants! I hope you had a safe trip home, and next time that you are in Princeton, I hope that you will be able to join us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Peacock Inn during a recent visit to Princeton. I was told that the hotel was recently renovated. The room was quite nice and the Inn was charming. I did not have a chance to eat dinner there, but the menu looked great. I had a continental breakfast and the muffins were homemade and excellent.
The location is really good - close to town so you can walk to everything.
This is definately someplace I would stay again given the chance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Peacock Inn and your time in Princeton. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Took my family to Princeton to look at the school and we stayed at The Peacock Inn. I made my reservation through the Small Luxury Hotels of the World. Rate details: Rate includes 1 bottle of Tattinger champagne in room on ice at check-in, 10 percent savings on dinner in the Peacock Inn Restaurant, continental breakfast, including coffee, tea, breads, pastries, parking, wifi, late checkout, room upgrade based on availability. Check in was really not a problem, but when we went to our room, which was tucked in tightly under the eaves of the home, there was a vibration and constant noise. I went back down and asked for a different room and also about my champagne and about the room upgrade. I was told that they do not do that, but the front desk would arrange to move us into another room while we were out roaming the campus. After our walk we returned to find that they had indeed moved us to a much more comfortable room. Another employee was working the desk, so I showed her on my IPAD the registration and the room rate guarantee. She also had never heard of this type of reservation, but she did send us up a bottle of champagne. We did not attempt to eat dinner at the hotel, although it did smell great and I am sure it was lovely. We asked for a late checkout as well, but were told the room was occupied for the following night and they could not honor that. However, the front desk employee kindly took our bags and stored them for the day, and we didn't have any problems with that arrangement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank spott
Scott S, Manager at The Peacock Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at The Peacock Inn. We are so glad to hear of your wonderful experience at The Peacock Inn and at Princeton University. Princeton is a great town with lots to do and so much history. Small Luxury Hotels of the World is an incredible group of independently owned boutique and luxury hotels, and The Peacock Inn is proud to be a member. I apologize that we were unable to fulfill your late check-out and did not originally have the bottle of Tattinger Champagne in your room. The goal at The Peacock Inn is to offer incredible service and to make sure that each of our guests stay is wonderful. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peacock Inn, and hope that next time you can join us in the restaurant.
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a family brunch outting here one Sunday. I'm scoring it a 3/5 because overall the food was fine, but it wasn't the caliber of elegant early dining experience I was expecting, or that we paid for. I probably won't go back, there's better places to eat in Princeton.

Parking is impossible if you don't do valet. I showed up a bit late for our reservation and waited for a few minutes at the empty stand before parking myself in a slim spot and then giving him my keys as he reappeared and I went in.

The atmosphere is nice enough - but if you're looking for an old authentic looking new england inn, this is not the place. Its been redone very well but I feel its classic charm has been painted over and the same vinyl sticker of a peacock is in every room. The highlight and redeeming factor though are the framed drawings from the basement wall, an old prohibition era speakeasy, that were done by a New Yorker cartoonist. I got so excited to go check out the old bar, only to find out that it wasn't there anymore.

I do have to speak to the service though. I can't say it was bad, but it wasn't great. There was a misunderstanding in ordering, I guess our waiter didn't know what "vegan" meant. The Vegetable Scrabble *did* have eggs. They didn't hesitate to offer in replacing it for free with just veggies, so that much was great. But then when it came time for refills I think 3 or 4 different people asked if we needed more coffee... but then never came back. It took getting up and asking someone else to get some. Then after we got dessert menus we had to wait so long for someone to show back up that we didn't have time to get any.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CostalCruiser
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were on the early side checking in but the young lady at the front desk took our number and called us as soon as our room was clean and gave us a few great local spots to seek out while we wait. The inn is extremely tasteful and I absolutely loved our room, 202 I think. We were able to have dinner in the bar area being that we werent too hungry and the dining room only offered 5 courses. Many thanks to the staff, my wife and I will be back!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank trvllaw
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you need to stay in the town of Princeton without a car, this is a good alternative to the Nassau Inn. On the map, the Peacock Inn seems like it's on the edge of town but it is only a 3 minute walk to Palmer Square. Our room was small and would have been much more comfortable without the very large dresser at the end of the bed but it had a pretty fireplace and a great bathroom.
The room was a weird shape and obviously to compensate for the one small window at the end, the wall of the bathroom next to the bed has an opaque window to let in more light. This means that if you turn on the bathroom light at night, you flood the bed/bedroom with light. I'd prefer a darker room. The bar is nice for a drink but very noisy early in the evening. We did not have any problem with noise after 11 p.m. Free wifi in the room.
The Inn is more expensive than it should be, as is the Nassau Inn, but I assume this is because the Nassau Inn and the Peacock Inn are the only 2 options in town...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynne087
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Based on previous reviews, we were very skeptical of the Peacock Inn, but had a really pleasant one-night stay on 10/24/12. Yes, the rooms are small, but very comfy bed and great bathroom/shower. Not much storage, and would be tight for a multinight stay. We were surprised by noise complaints in previous reviews, as we heard not a peep all night, and are both light sleepers. Ate dinner in the hotel's charming restaurant and food was wonderful; a prix fix menu with four courses including dessert. Not cheap, nor was it overpriced, as courses were delicious, well plated/presented and beautifully prepared. All in all, very pleasant stay which we will recommend to others, particularly suited to 1-3 night stays.

Stayed October 2012