“Good for a look and a drink but dont go on an empty stomach”

Yankee Doodle Tap Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Yankee Doodle Tap Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 200 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

So first time in Princeton , very excited and what an incredable little picturesque town ! They really have maintained the quaintness and kept all the known stores underwraps by keeping the old village look .Had to go the Tap room as I read all the famous people from history have had a drink there so I wanted to be part of the group and I passionately seek out character pubs around the world! I read that it was a bit of a touristy trap and that the food was less than on par and expensive. Not being swayed by naysarrers sometimes my fellow writers can get a bit prima donna like I decided to drag my husband for a pint. We did in fact sit at one georgous old world wooded booth where Einsteins carved signature is on , very friendly servers and put up with us asking about the history etc. I ordered the prawn/shrimp chef special -quite small on a long modern white rectacle dish (kind weird as we are sitting in a 1893 pub )had to send the shrimp back as it was translucent so undercooked almost gelatinos and it came back the same. The nice experienced waitress said something about them boiling them even though they were suppose to be grilled or whatever .My husband had a smart choice the meatloaf but was so stupidly dry even disguised under the bad gravy hard to screw up meatloaf .
So the moral of this old time tale is that you should go there for a warm drink or a cold pint and sit by the fire (when its lit) view the cardboard reproduction of Norman Rockwalls painting
(under plexiglass) and run your fingers over the carved names of some notable alumni and then tell everyone you did it ....

nassaugm, General Manager at Yankee Doodle Tap Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Sandiphoto, we are happy you enjoyed the original Norman Rockwell painting, PU alumni photos, carvings, etc that at even more history to our restaurant. Our staff is very informative with our history and I am happy they could share with you. We are disappointed to hear your meal was not to your liking. We have addressed your issues with our staff and hope that your next visit will meet your expectations. Yours in hospitality, Jill Frascella

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Very charming pub. Food was excellent as well as the service. Honey and garlic wings are awesome. It is especially pretty at Christmas

nassaugm, Manager at Yankee Doodle Tap Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Capemaylover, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. we look forward to your next visit with us. Yours in hospitality, Jill Frascella

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We visited the Tap Room on a Saturday night around 6pm and got a seat right away. There was what looked like a wedding cocktail hour going on at the same time, so seating was a little tight. The service was pretty good. Drinks and food did not take long to be served, and our waiter provided refills at the right times. The beer list was great, and we had many options to choose from, including craft beers on tap. The food was just so-so. We all got burgers - the adult portion for the adults and the sliders from the kids menu. The sliders were a little overcooked, and my son complained that his ended up having bits of cheese on it when we had specifically asked for no cheese (my guess is that they noticed this at the last minute and scraped it off before serving). One adult burger was more rare than requested, but the other was cooked to request. The fries were more like McDonald's - kind of fake tasting with that weird spray coating to make them more starchy. For $13, the value of the burger meal was not great. I've had much better burgers at other pub-type places that were less $ (the Underground Pub at Pheasant's Landing in Hillsborough is one of them). Overall, unless you're big into Princeton history, you'll find much better eateries in town.

nassaugm, General Manager at Yankee Doodle Tap Room, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Shrimpmom, I am disappointed to hear your visit was anything, but satisfactory. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the feel of our restaurant and our beers on tap. We recently added new taps to our list, which allows us to have a wide selection of beer. Timely and prompt service is always what we strive for and we are glad to know we made you feel welcome. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your food options. It is rare for us to hear that our burger was not satisfactory to our guests’ likings. We hope this does not defer you from trying us again. Yours in hospitality, Jill Frascella

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Nassau Inn's Yankee Doodle Tap Room should be a great food and dining experience. It's in a historic place and a beautiful town. The town is always full of visitors looking for a good place to eat....and there are many... unfortunately this is not one of them.

Our group's food: Starters:
Charcuterie Plate ($14), a small plate with a 5 or 6 wafer thin, small slices of salami and one slice of prosciutto, some cubes of cheese ... picture the cubes you see served as samples at Costco or Sam's Club only smaller (American Cheddar I think), Roasted Red Pepper (about 1 oz) cut into small strips laid on a small bed of mixed greens, two or three pickled green peppers (looked like jalapeños). Based on the price this should have had triple the amount of sliced salami and double the cheese (with more than one kind of cheese!!) they didn't have a plate small enough to make this look like a good value....a very poor offering;

Calamari ($11) a large plate of perfectly fried calamari served with some hot sliced peppers, hot, tasty & good value.

Mains: Beef Tenderloin ($29-"market pricing") served with mashed potatoes and spinach, ordered "rare plus"... was served medium rare (OK but not as ordered). The tenderloin is the strip of beef from which filet mignon is cut so this should be nearly fork tender, it wasn't. It was flavorful but a bit more "chewy" than it probably should have been. The portion size was about 6-8 oz on the plate.

Beef & Ale (served with hashed sweet potatoes), this was dry, chewy and stringy. The hashed sweet potatoes (cooked with diced peppers) were completely flavorless, the diner could not and did not eat this meal.

Bourbon Braised Short Rib $22, (served with mashed potatoes and spinach), about 5-6 oz of beef on the plate. The meat was very tender, and though there didn't seem to be any "bourbon" flavor, this was very flavorful none the less.

Sides: Brussels Sprouts ($5), a very large plate, these had lots of garlic flavor (great if you like garlic...I do but if you don't ...don't order these) and cooked semi tender. Two of our party of four didn't like these.

Loaded Baked Potato ($4.50), loaded means sour cream,chives,and crumbled bacon. The potato was baked in foil so it had that "steamed" rather than baked quality, but it was good. The spinach and mashed potatoes which served as a "bed" to two of our selections were good.

Service: Lauren was very pleasant when attending but not "attending" as often as we would have liked, the food took a very long time to arrive (the restaurant was almost empty when we arrived but filled up during the course of our dinner). She inquired as to our food and we explained that everything was good except the "Beef and Ale" plate which was "dry and stringy," she said "I'll let them know" (I'm assuming she was letting the kitchen know ....so I'm letting you know). I'm not sure how letting the "kitchen know" was helpful to the guest with inedible food.

At the end of our meal, we mentioned to her that we noticed other tables had "bread baskets" and that we didn't .... she said she was sorry, it was the bus boys' job, and she hadn't noticed that we didn't have any bread...as it was the end of our meal, she asked if we "would like the rolls in a 'to go' container?"

Another woman (the woman who seated us) came by to inquire as to our meal and we shared the same information with her "she said that she was sorry and could we fill out a 'comment card' at the end of the meal because this was their new fall menu and they'd like to have our feedback. Again, not sure how this addresses a guest with poor quality food.

When our party of four received the check, there was only one diner comment card...so I'm guessing the restaurant didn't want the feedback from each diner, perhaps they simply expected the person who left nearly all their food on their plate to complete the card. It would seem that if you're encouraging your guests to complete feedback cards, you'd give one to the satisfied as well as dissatisfied customers.

Total tab with one draft ($3.72) and two ciders ($11.22), was $145. We decided dessert would be somewhere else on Nassau Square...lots of places...great desserts !!

Although they did some things well, (calamari) it's difficult to give this restaurant anything but a "poor" rating since some of the offerings were absolutely awful (Beef & Ale, Hashed Sweet Potatoes, Charcuterie). None of us (our local family or my wife and I, on future visits) will return to this restaurant.

Tom, I am extremely upset to hear about your experience at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. I assure you, this is below our normal standards. We have addressed the food issues with our Executive Chef and have made some changes to some of the items on our menu; including the Beef and Ale sandwich. As for service, we always aim to have 100% guest satisfaction and I am disappointed to see you did not receive just that. I can guarantee you the staff has been reinforced on our dining expectations. I hope this has not deferred you from coming back and giving us another chance. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your encounter with us. Yours in hospitality, Jill Frascella

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have eaten here before and went back since we enjoyed it very much. They have outdoor dining which is wonderful in good weather. Last time, we ate outside with 4, but this time we had 8 and they said there was a 30 minute wait - not bad but our party chose not to wait so we ate inside. Inside is a pub atmosphere and I guess could be noisy, but it was pretty empty the night we were there so we had a very quiet area and very attentive service. The food was very good - not expensive and pretty simple but we had full dinners that everyone was very happy with. The appetizers and desserts were also very good. Our group was not drinkers so can't comment on the drinks. We spent 3+ hours at dinner.

We picked the Tap Room primarily for the outside seating and pricing and experience in the past with the food. I would recommend it to just about anyone. Our experience has been very good and we would go there again.

Ams, We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Yankee Doodle Tap Room. Since adding the outside patio, we have had great response and new clientele. I am glad to hear you recommend our restaurant and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Yours in hospitality, Jill Frascella

Been to Yankee Doodle Tap Room? Share your experiences!