“It was an average experience for the amount of money paid:(”

Best Western Regency House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pompton Plains
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 23, 2011

As a seasoned traveller, I did not expect the Ritz Carlton but I did expect a reasonably pleasant experience comparable to the price paid for my lodgings; I was dissappointed overall. I deliberately called in advance to have a room with a balcony and this was promised to me by the booking agent as well as the front desk person on duty, when I got to the hotel this was not the case, why make reservations when specific requests are not honored? The breakast was fresh the 1st day as far as the cooked items were concerned but i noticed during my 4 day stay, that there was a lot of reheating/recycling of the hot food items; this is not acceptable and it serves to cheapen the overall experience of this local and its affiliation with the Hotel chain. If I wanted cheap service, i would have stayed at a cheaper establish, if you are proporting to advertise a pleasant experience you should be all inclusive not advertise an Un Truth statement.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 24, 2011

Booked by my husband's company for business reasons, I went along for a company party, and then to move on to NY for the weekend. While the location wouldn't have been my first choice as a leisure traveler, for our purposes it was perfect. And the incredibly friendly staff made up for any challenges gettng around. Even their recommendation of driver when I needed to get around (Val, Highland Car Service) was impeccable, Val is my new best friend.

Thank you Mash and everyone at the Regency House for a great trip.

PS - I checked "Nightlife" because I spent 2 evenings hanging out in the new bar while trying to adjust to the time difference. Great staff, great customers, really enjoyed my time talking to other travelers there!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My cousin had his wedding reception here. The worst service ever. there were 4 servants for 350 people. Mash was the rudest manager kicking me and my guests out of the hall starting at 10:30 pm and we contracted the hall until12 am. Unbelieveable! He threatened to call the cops on my guests because they were hanging out in the lounge. He even threw out the left over cake that was wrapped that we were going to take home with us and he threw out the bride's wedding bouquet! Who does that. The rooms smelled musty and the area was run down. The hall is beautiful but too bad the service and the management was ugly. He did not keep his end of the contract at all!

• Stayed: December 2010
BWRegencyHotelGM, General Manager at Best Western Regency House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Best Western Regency House Hotel and Banquet proudly services the community with weddings, Anniversary, Baby Shower, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, meetings and banquets for over 50 years. We are a full service hotel with professional staff, some working for over 25 years.
The review posted by this guest, attending the cousin's wedding is a fraud. The wedding, from booking to planning to the actual hosting, was perfect. Throughout the event, bride and groom as well as the family were having a wonderful time, praising our food and service.
This wedding reception was supposed to end at 11pm on the night when the big snowstorn hit the area. At 11pm, the snow accumulations was about 8 inches already. With a forecast of about 20" of snow, the hotel staff was anticipating to leave once the wedding was over.
Well, the goom requested me, the GM, for an additional hour. I told him "yes" just because the guests were having so much fun and people were not ready to leave. I slowly started sending the staff home, so they can reach safely. At 12 midnight, I informed the band and the clients that the party must end. The party continued for another 15 minutes before I increase the light of the room, hinting the guests that the party was over and it was time for them to leave. At 12:30am, I requested people, by approaching them, to start leaving as we needed to clean up/set up the room for the next day.
After 1am, the hotel staff and I were able to get everyone out of the room. No guest was touched, pushed, or yelled at by anyone at any time; the request was calm and professional.
The guests were unhappy for leaving "early" but that's not the hotel's fault. The wedding was "economic" and was paid for only 4 hours of service. After all said and done, we serviced them for 6 hours and still got paid only for 4 hours. That's right, the groom, who had agreed to pay extra $1,000, never paid, claiming that his guests were unhappy because the staff was asking them to leave. Funny, how people can write such reviews without knowing the facts and understanding what kind of impact the hotel would have for writing review that is not factual.
Our clients have many positive feedback about our hotel and our services. Please read many of the others that are posted.

Mash Sopariwala
Best Western Regency House Hotel
140 State Route 23
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
(973)696-0900
email: mash@bwrhh.com

Reviewed December 10, 2010

Considering what this hotel used to look like, one could say that the recent renovations are an improvement to this property. The pictures on the website show a nice looking hotel and upon arrival the lobby does make this look like a swanky property but once you get to experience this hotel or walk around it a but more you'll notice some issues with it. First off, several reviews said this hotel had a musty smell to it and while the lobby does not smell, there was musty odor to the first floor where the hotel rooms are at. This hotel is right next to the river and having stayed there while it was cold out, the musty odor is probably due either to stench of floodwaters when the river swamped the hotel or bad cleaning or both. My advice would be stay on the second floor and you'll avoid this issue, however, part of the second floor stunk of cigarette smoke but not the section I stayed at. This hotel does not have any elevators and for older people it is hard to walk up the 1970s era stairs and then make a long hike down the hall.

The room looked again, like the picture showed, at least where the beds were at. The mattresses were very comfy but the pillows were hard. The mattresses were probably some of the better ones I have seen at a hotel in terms of comfort. However, while the sleeping area wasn't too bad, the refrigerator made a strange buzzing sound at night which was annoying while trying to sleep. The hotel is set back far enough from Rt. 23 that it is hard to hear the traffic, especially if you stay in a room that faces the back. The bathroom though was a real trick or treat. The tub was hard to get in and out of for a person who was young, let alone an old person. It was hard to stand up and take a shower on the slanted tub. Who comes to a regular room and wants a jacuzzi tub circa 1985? And the condition of the tub was poor with a patched up crack across the front of the tub. The hot water also was hard to work, and came and went in spurts. At times a shower ranged from the water feeling like a pool in Phoenix in the summer to Lake Erie in the winter. I'd rather have a nice shower than a nice tv.

Lastly, the breakfast wasn't bad but the selection while better than average was no 5 stars. The most annoying part though was the lack of parking at nights as the hotel books up banquet facilities for events and fills the parking lot with cars from people coming to events for the night. You may find yourself having trouble getting a spot close by. Also, this place has been a haven for Bar Mitzvahs for years and at night kids from one ran up and down the hall screaming and yelling loudly until close to midnight and again early the next morning while no one did anything about it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2010

It is now the third time that we booked this hotel, every time for about 10 days. The hotel has been very nicely modernised, but they kept the same friendly hospitality that we experienced the first time. It gives us a warm feeling every time we arrive at the hotel. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We sleep well in the beds. and everything you expect to be present in the hotelroom is there. The hotel is easy reachable by car at the State Route 23, and nearby shops, restaurants etc. We are gratefull for the kindness of all staff and personell, with no exeptions.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 20, 2010

The Best Western Regency House Hotel in Pompton Plains N.J. did an outstanding job supporting the 50 Year Reunion of Butler High School’s Class of 1960 on 2 October, 2010. The evening’s activities could not have been better planned or executed. Everything happened on schedule from the opening of the cocktail hour bar, through dinner and dessert, until the last reunion member departed. Decorations were perfect with colors that represented our high school’s colors. The lighting and sound system worked perfectly. Drinks were well poured and generous. Food on the buffet line was gourmet (please extend our thanks to your chef and kitchen staff) and plentiful. The entire evening was a first class operation thanks to the Regency House professional staff.
Event Captain Millie Bausch took our agenda and made sure every item happened on time. She even helped organize our group photo which is almost as hard as “herdin’ cats.” She did everything with a smile and professional bearing. Her hands-on care was noticed and appreciated. She was always available to answer any questions or provide help. She represented the Regency House very well.
Megha Pandy was our go to person for all reunion planning from dates, decorations, menu, finances, sound system coordination, and a thousand other questions we had. She was always pleasant and professional. She knew the answer immediately or researched the question and offered solutions and ideas. She returned all calls and e-mails in a timely manner, and followed up to ensure the caller was satisfied. In person she is just as helpful and friendly. The day before our reunion banquet she escorted me to the banquet rooms we would be using and explained how they would be set-up, decorated, and how the sound system worked. She made us feel very comfortable that our reunion was well planned.
Mash Sopariwala met with the reunion committee members to ensure we were happy with everything that Megha planned for us. He was very thorough and very professional. He was also very pleasant to deal with. I think the management of the Regency House is in good hands. The guest rooms were wonderful. Nice appointments, comfortable beds, great furniture, very clean and well attended by the housekeeping staff. It is an excellent place to stay at a fair price, especially with the complimentary breakfast. We (the reunion committee) have already recommended to other reunion committees to strongly consider the Regency House for their reunion events in the north New Jersey area. Thank you so much Mash, Megha, and Mlllie. You are the best.

_______Signed________
George G. Van Riper
Butler High School Class of 1960
Reunion Committee Member

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We were welcomed and given an introduction by Mr Mash, the VP of operations, He could not do enough for us he provided a welcoming snack and told us a few interesting stories. He and his staff were always seeking to please and were most helpful in seeking out transport for us to NY, for our group of 21. They provided an excellent buffet dinner and breakfast at very reasonable rates, I would recommend this motel to anyone staying in NJersey,

• Stayed: September 2010
Grand Cascades Lodge
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hamburg
Ramada Wayne Fairfield Area

Been to Best Western Regency House Hotel? Share your experiences!