“Very clean and convenient”

Amethyst Beach Motel
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Not going to lie I was a little worried going to a motel just because of it being a motel. At $149 a night it compared to a hotel price wise. But it's like close to the beach and you're down the shore. What do you expect. Still cheaper than the place next door. I was skeptical until I opened the door to the room and was shocked by how clean and nice the rooms were. The bathroom was really nice and I didn't feel like I needed to shower after getting out of the shower. Their we're clean towels that actually smelled nice too! And they changed them everyday and made the beds too, didnt expect it. The pool was really nice and clean as well There were bagels and muffins and coffee in the morning which I also didn't expect. The staff was very nice and helpful. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2012
sandtraveller, Manager at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thanks so very much for taking the time to post a positive review, it is so very important for all us here at Amethyst to hear positive reviews as well as constructive criticism. We recognize that only a few of the thousands of guest each year who allow us the opportunity to host their stay take time out of their busy lives to post a positive reply, looking forward to future opportunities to host your stay.

On behalf of all of us here at Amethyst a Sincere Thank You!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I spent this past weekend with my family and kids here and I must say I had a fabulous stay! The workers were all extremely friendly and accomidating from the moment we checked in until the end of our stay. This is a great place to stay for families! My kids enjoyed the pool and the close proximity to the beach and boardwalk. I wouldn't stay at any other motel on the jersey shore! Thanks for a great stay Amethyst!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

On behalf of all of us here at Amethyst a Sincere Thank You!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

First of all, I will start off on a good note by saying the pool and staff are the only good things here. Now for everything bad: We bought 2 rooms (adjoining) for some friends and us. The one room smelled like a smoking section in a casino. As we explored, we found brown celing tiles, a grimy bathroom and worst of all: in the kitchenette drawer was ashes of some sort (from who knows what) whatever it was, it was CREEPY. As we explored the second room, we found it was cleaner and smelled a little nicer. There was crust in the sink and a dusty, gross air conditioner. The shower curtain was stained which was unpleasant. When it came to finding water to buy (without walking back to the boardwalk), the water machine was broken. The patio was smoky and messy. The lights didn't work in the room. Also, because of the clean freak I am, I used a disinfecting wipe to wipe the wall in the bathroom and I can't tell you how much grime came off. They should open their eyes and inspect their rooms and take better care of the cleanliness. All in all this is what I have to say- Clean your rooms, enforce the no- smoking rule, fix your water machine, and open your eyes!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank anonymouspersona
sandtraveller, General Manager at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

All of here at Amethyst believe we provide a great location, clean well-kept facility and have a very attentive and accommodating staff. We are extremely busy preparing rooms for re-occupancy each day and make every effort to provide a wonderful experience. There are always times when things are missed or a customer leaves something behind which we might overlook however when an issue is brought to our attention we address it. When it comes to the representations of an admitted Clean Freak who overstates issues which apparently in their Clean Freak view are excessive and intolerable, the question is why didn’t they raise the issues to management, and why would anyone stay in a room with conditions such as depicted by this Freak/Clean Freak.

It has been a long season and accommodating some 10,000 guests we anticipate we will not satisfy everyone, however we make every effort when contacted by our guests to take cares of all issues.

Hoping all will understand that we have so many good reviews and yet so few when compared to the thousands (1000’s) who stay with us each summer whose lives are busy and their experience with us satisfactory returning home without feeling the need to leave a review to us is a validation that we are doing a good job accommodating our customers.

Hoping all who read our review and responses will sort out and recognize that we are a society made up of a diverse range of individuals some of whom you can never satisfy, however we continue to try!

Thanks for reading our reviews and thanks for helping us make this passing summer a good one.

Amethyst Family and Friends,

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I would not go back to this hotel.

But first the good things:
- Location and pool are awesome.
- Rooms are clean and beds/sheets sleep very well.
- Tv works and is easy to use (had already hotels where you had to wait hours for the tv to load).
- Our room was ready when we arrived at noon, so that was great.
- Smoking is allowed on the patio, which was great for my mom.
- The pool has a diving board and is 9 feet deep at one end, which was awesome for my son.
- Parking in the rear is very convenient.
- Beach passes for half the price are a nice little add on.
- Bagels and muffins with butter and cream cheese for breakfast are good quality.

Here are the bad things why I wouldn't go back:
- Receptionist (pregnant lady) who checked us in should not work if the pregnancy is so hard for her that she can't be friendly anymore and do an acceptable job.
- Receptionist did not explain that we were purchasing a "beach package" for $20, so my credit card was charged $20 more then expected and when I called it was explained to me that I had purchased the breakfast, parking, bbq option and beach passes... what a surprise when you are back at home!!!
- The ceilings were old and filthy and the bathrooms needed cleaining in the corners, looks like somebody does not know that the dirt collects in the corners....
- The room was so packed with furniture that you hardly could go through to the kitchen.
- The furniture was broken, when you opened the door for the tv, the door fell off....
- Breakfast was served outside. The picture of the conference/ meeting room on the website is a joke - when you looked inside this room, it was privatly used by the pregnant receptionist and toddler toys inside. So we had to eat standing outside on the patio since it was raining and the patio furniture was wet. The butter and cream cheese were so cold that you couldn't spread it and we all had to use the same knives, the toasters were old and broken. The breakfast was a real disaster in the rain!!
- Internet is crappy, you see like 3 or more wifi spots on your iphone but when you try to connect it is not able to load the internet. I asked the receptionist at night who was very helpful and nice (to the contrary of the morning person). She tried to help another hotel guest too and he also told me later that the internet wouldn't work once you go back to your room. I did not get to work it on my iphone,

My mom,. my son and I had a good time at Point Pleasant but our stay at this hotel was not worth the amount of money they charge for one night.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the left side if you prefer a quiet room. They seem to have the windows to the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
sandtraveller, General Manager at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thanks for the review and valuable feedback; we are proud of our staff and our location. We strive to provide the best experience for our customers. We have spoken with our front desk clerk and apologize if you felt in any way you were not treated correctly. Contact us and we will try and provide a future accommodation for your inconvenience.

Amethyst family and friends

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was traveling on business and had made a reservation on Monday for Thursday evening. I was running late for a networking event being held at Martel's Tiki bar and wanted to drop off my bags, shower, and head out as quickly as possible. I was billed for my room, and then also billed for parking, which was annoying. When I went to my room, there was clothes everywhere and someone watching TV. I quickly left the room and went down to the desk to alert them that they had put me in the wrong room. After the front desk operator called the manager back to the hotel, they discovered that the resident in my room had actually extended their stay, and it was not recorded properly or never recording into their system, so it showed the room as vacant.

The hotel manager, Theresa, recommended I just leave my bags in the small, cramped, check in area and when I returned from my networking event, hours later, and most likely somewhat intoxicated, they would have figured it out. She also said she could find me a room to shower in, so that I could at least not be any more late for my networking event. Both options were not acceptable. To make things even worse, there were no open rooms available. The manager Theresa even contacted the family staying in the room I reserved and considered kicking them out and cleaning the room, which I would not allow as that seemed ridiculous.

So, after being inconvenienced for 45 minutes, they decided to refund my money, and make a reservation in the hotel across the street. This was not acceptable, being that I chose the Amethyst specifically because it had stated the rooms were recently renovated, and had a 4 star Trip Advisor rating, where the hotel across the street could not compare in either category. The response i got was take it or leave it. So, I decided to take the offer.

So this is what really pissed me off.... After the now hour long inconvenience, listening to the bantering back and forth between the employees about how this happened and who was to blame, walking in on someone's room, etc, I politely asked if the Amethyst hotel would be paying for my room across the street. I was told no, and the the Amethyst hotel isn't a "big hotel chain like Holiday Inn" (she actually used bunny ears with her hands, like I was a child) and they don't just give away free rooms. I politely reviewed the incredible frustration and inconvenience I had up to that point, and how I thought someone who cared about customer service and satisfaction should handle this situation, but was still told no. To make matters even more enraging, is that the property manager said I was free to walk over and use the pool and have a cup of coffee in the morning, which I baulked at.

Clearly, there are not only some internal problems with the cleaning staff and the people who take reservations, but more importantly, a lack of customer service, paired with rudeness, and arrogance. I hope this review helps other people when choosing a beach motel to stay in. Beware!

On another point, I was billed on Thursday for the room and the parking and was issued a full refund. I checked my credit card statement this evening, 4 days later, and there has been no credit to my account. i look forward to calling tomorrow and inquiring about my refund, and discussing this review with the motel management.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Clicci01
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Customer service is very important to us and so are truthful accurate reviews. We have reviewed and spoke with the staff who dealt with this young man and we cannot disagree more with his representations.
As this young man stated he was part of a group attending an event at the beach that day and we did indeed have an overbooking issue which almost never occurs, we found him another room and he did take advantage of our offer to come have coffee and use the facility. We immediately credited back all charges and any delay is the result of the credit card companies not ours.
As to how he can come to make statements about cleanliness when he never stayed with us we are confused. What this review is all about is this young man’s failures to have us bow to his demand that we take money out of our pocket and pay for the alternate room we found for him. We are small family run seasonal facility and cannot acquiesce to a demand for money based upon a mistake.
His characterization of our beloved General Manager Theresa where he states The manager Theresa even contacted the family staying in the room I reserved and considered kicking them out” is false and as far from the truth as is imaginable.
Hoping all who read this response appreciate what this review is truly about.

Amethyst family and friends

Reviewed August 19, 2012

When we got there to check in we were treated by a woman who was incredibly unpleasant... literally seemed annoyed by our presence (seems to be going around down there) - after getting a bit of a surprise as to how much more the rate was than I was told (extras, this, that etc) came out to 301.00 a night? Parking - misc??? Resort fee? Whatever...So we get checked in- asked for a cot never got one... No room in the room as they had some strange LARGE furniture in there that you couldnt walk to the bathroom... mold everywhere, found licorice under the bed... a defrosting old refrigerator etc... whatever beach motel, in the morning we expected a continental breakfast what we got was bagels and muffins and NOTHING else- if you wanted juice, yogurt, cereal etc you had to pay for it? The dining room is closed as it seems to be a playroom for the baby of the place. For the price NOT worth it- the only thing it offered was a pool... not much else

2  Thank Willa D
sandtraveller, General Manager at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

All of us here at Amethyst believe we provide a great location, clean well-kept facility and have a very attentive and accommodating staff. Although we do our best to fully inform all guests upon making a reservation with regard to the state and locally imposed taxes there are times when it is apparent a guest was not prepared for the taxes which we have no control over.

We maintain a clean facility located in the best of locations close to the heart of Point beach and boardwalk and walking distance to downtown and the transportation center.

Point Pleasant Beach and our new downtown culinary corner full of eclectic eateries is a wonderful safe family destination and that is what we are as well. We welcome all to come, visit and ask to see a room.

You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time?

Sincerely and thanks for a great summer,

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We were very disappointed in this motel. I understand that this is a beach motel, however, I did expect a clean unit for my family to stay in. There was so much furniture in this unit it felt like we were thrown in a storage unit. There were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling (with insects), scotch tape hanging off rafter, kitchen floor was sticky, hair on the bathroom floor, dirty q-tips in between the couch cushions, broken closet doors with stuff stored in it, so it could not be used. Tried to put suitcase in the armoir to get it out of the way but the door fell off when it was opened. Could only use the microwave if you turned on the kitchen light.

The only good thing was that it was close to the beach. Not sure if we will stay again.

Reenie

3  Thank buttons1953
sandtraveller, Senior Management at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Please contact us so that we may address your concerns directly, we need to be notified immediately at the time of your stay so that we may address issues and avoid any possible inconvenience to our guests, we hope you will contact us directly as these anonymous posts are difficult to address as we have little information to go by when we cannot even identify the unit the review is referring to.
Hopping each of our guests and future guests will take the time to notify us so that we may take care of each of the issues which are outlined as they would have been easily corrected to the satisfaction of our guest.

Amethyst family and friends.