“Everyone Knows it's the Best Indian Fare in Central Jersey!”
Review of Crown Of India

Crown Of India
Reserve with OpenTable
Crown Of India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 31 Restaurants in Plainsboro
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
NJ
“Everyone Knows it's the Best Indian Fare in Central Jersey!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have ordered take-out twice so I won't comment on the service except to say that our order was promptly ready and the staff was very very friendly when we arrived to pick up our meal. The food is excellent and I highly recommend Chicken Makhani, Chicken Tandoori, Coconut Soup, and spicy Lamb Masala! These dishes were fresh and flavorful! The rice is perfectly cooked and the Naan is the best I've ever had. Although we did not dine in, the atomosphere is very warm, elegant and inviting with lots of space for parties and events. It's a little pricey, but worth it if you are looking for an authentic and satisfying Indian meal!

• Visited October 2012

“Good Indian Food in Central New Jersey”
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

We found this restaurant after our favorite nearby Indian place closed down. Having lived in England, where good Indian food abounds, I am always on the lookout for good eateries. Crown of India didn't disappoint.

We were seated immediately in typical red and gold Indian decor. The menu is varied and offers a good selection of vegetarian dishes, to which I am gravitating these days. We ordered the vegetable platter, followed by a vegetable biryani and lamb passanda, with basmati rice and naan bread. All arrived quickly and were piping hot. The flavors and textures were excellent.

The service is the usual somewhat offhand approach you get at most Indian restaurants around the world. Never bad, never extraordinary.

All in all, I'd say we've found our latest Indian hangout, albeit that it's a little farther than we'd like.

Brooklyn, NY
“Excellent Indian restaurant”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stumbled onto Crown of India while visiting some wineries in New Jersey, and we're very happy we stopped. I had an excellent chicken vindaloo, and my wife had an outstanding chicken korma. The staff is extremely friendly, and even asks you how spicy you would like your food. We definitely recommend Crown of India.

• Visited June 2012
Red Bank, New Jersey
“(4 and 1/2 STARS) A Spinach Pakora Jackpot Buffet.”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I know, the Crown of India deserves a more elegant review. I'm afraid the Spinach Pakora made me a little crazy. I am crazy. About Spinach Pakora. But every Indian restaurant I have ever eaten in serves tons of potato pakora, which I cannot eat, but very few spinach pakora. At the Crown of India I hit the pakora jackpot my friend.

Enough.

I found the Crown of India by accident yesterday afternoon while I was lost in Plainsboro (BOTH my GPS Navs abandoned me there). I arrived after one o'clock and was seated immediately at an elegantly set table. As I sat down the gleaming skulls of a number of buffet warmers caught my eye. When I glanced at the waiter he came over and told me that the buffet was $11.95. I will admit that I thought it a bit steep but there were so many dishes out there; their single eye closed, their little cards too far to read.

I took the challenge and opened the first silver server: SPINACH PAKORA. =) I piled a bunch on my plate and went on to find gobi this and that peas in a savory sauce, Chicken Makni, Naan, lots of other delicious offerings which I heaped onto my groaning (pakora laden) plate.

They even had goat in a savory sauce).

The Crown of India does not prepare their food exactly as everyone else does. Their food all had a richer flavor. I ate a lot and expected to have to pay dearly later for my villainous, gluttonous ways. But later, all there was, was a lingering, pakora flavored smile.

Nota Bene: The half star off was because the buffet was a little cooler at 1:30 PM than it should have been for a lunch buffet.

• Visited June 2012
NJ
“Good, but now catering to parties”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This had been our favorite Indian restaurant in the area literally since it opened up about 20 years ago. We even had "our" table where my daughter's high chair could fit right next to the booth way back when.

It is still a great place for the buffet, although they seem to constantly be changing the arrangements as of late. The lunch buffet has soup, several Indian breads, pakora, tandoori chicken, rice, and several sauce dishes with meats and/or vegetables and the sweet ball and Indian rice pudding desserts. All is flavorful but not too spicy and I always leave way too stuffed.

Where we have become disappointed is that ever since they rebuilt their party room for catering, that is their main emphasis - particularly on Saturday nights. The band or DJ comes early and tunes up or practices - not conducive to a quiet dinner. Once the party starts the music is loud and the service and cooking is geared to taking care of them. This is a shame, as we always had excellent service before and the waiters always knew what we wanted because we ate there for dinner so much.

• Visited November 2011