“Quiet for a busy, bustling area”

Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Plainsboro
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Overall good to very good. Rooms were modern and clean. Internet worked well. Pillows were even labeled firm and soft (I liked that). Breakfast was not great, but certainly adequate. The area around the hotel was almost forested, with a lake and a nice dirt road/trail around the property. Only one problem noticed: the main hotel bathroom ran out of TP - couldn't even 'spare a square.'

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
David F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Jason S.,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Please know that your feedback is very much appreciated! We’re pleased to hear that your stay was quiet, clean, and comfortable. As a team, we strive to provide our guests with an atmosphere in which they can relax and be themselves. It’s wonderful to hear that we’ve succeeded in our goal. We invite you to return later this summer as our sister hotel, The Crowne Plaza Princeton, will open its doors. Our guests will have access to a variety of new amenities, such as an extensive fitness center, indoor pool, and restaurant. We’re certainly excited about all these changes and would love to share them with you, should you require accommodations in the Princeton area again.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The last time I stayed here, it was a Wyndham property. Its transition to a Holiday Inn Express represents a most welcome change. The staff is friendlier, the lobby seems to have been spiffed up a bit in a quasi-Asian theme (large bamboo shafts installed like organ pipes, more furniture, etc.), and my room was a total winner. I was on the ground floor (sometimes called "Garden Level," but more prosaically "the basement") with a view onto a lovely, tranquil, wooded area threaded with trails and ponds that murmured "serenity." The king bed was comfortable (though I get tired of "de-pillowing" nightly at many hostelries) and the commodious bathroom featured a huge walk-in shower with solid sliding glass doors (the bane, I dare say, of long-suffering housekeeping staff). Lighting was terrific and wall sockets easily accessible. When I checked in, I asked about the availability of a mini-fridge for chilling insulin. The desk clerk said he'd have to check with the engineering dept., fearing they only had one or two, and that there would be a $10/day fee. The mini-fridge arrived mere minutes after I'd entered the room, was plugged in exactly where I'd asked it to be placed, and upon check-out, I happily discovered there had been no charge for it on my bill. My only caveat about the room was the wall-mounting of the TV. It was totally stationary, so one had to look at it at an angle from the easy chair. Hello, hotel designers: not everyone likes to watch TV from a bed!

That the room was so pleasant compensated for the building itself. It sits in an upscale office park with several major drug companies and a hospital close by. Architecturally, it's of the brutalist concrete school and one is reminded of a covert CIA outpost or some kind of medical clinic in which human organs are harvested and sold to the highest bidder. I felt like I was in the middle of a Robin Cook thriller. The lay-out was probably a triumph for the architect but can be dizzying for a guest. The corridor leading to my room zig-zaged like a rabbit warren. Upon looking at the fire escape schematic on the back of my room door, it appeared to resemble a "v" attached to a "w." Creepier yet, I hardly saw ANYONE during my 4-night stay. Prior to the arrival of an Indian family for what might have been a wedding celebration on my last night, I don't think I ever saw more than a dozen people TOPS. There were two people the one morning I partook of the "don't bother" breakfast that came with the room rate. This didn't scare or annoy me. I just found it odd and wonder if a single female traveler might find it more unsettling than I did.

Princeton is easily accessible from this property using Rt. 1 and Harrison Street. Cross the railroad bridge in the opposite direction and you'll find the Lotus Garden Chinese restaurant, Romeo's Italian restaurant, a tastefully understated McDonald's (part of a strip mall and no golden arches), a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin-Robbins, and the Plainsboro Post Office.

Room Tip: Some rooms may require a hefty trek from the lobby and you might feel the urge to drop breadcrumbs a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim H
David F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear SineNomine69,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a thoughtful and thorough review. We certainly appreciate the feedback! It’s encouraging to hear that you appreciate all of the changes that we've recently made to our property. We’re proud of our hotel, and we’re so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. In addition, we’re pleased to announce that there are even more welcome changes coming soon to the Holiday Inn Express with the opening of our sister hotel, the Crowne Plaza Princeton. The Crowne Plaza, accessible from the Holiday Inn Express via an enclosed walkway, will boast an extensive fitness center and indoor pool as well as a full service restaurant and lounge. All of this and more will be available to our guests in June 2013. As a team, we strive to constantly improve the guest experience, and we invite you to visit us again to enjoy all these new amenities.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is amazing! I stayed there on two different occasions within two weeks of each other. The staff is very friendly. The rooms appear new and have some of the most modern decorations I have seen for a Holiday Inn. The rooms are so quiet; I felt like I was the only person in the hotel. The workout room is fairly large for a small hotel. The hotel serves excellent complimentary beverages and appetizers one a week. I have not found another hotel in this hotel class that does that. It is located on a small pond and is amazing to walk around and just relax by. Why can't other Holiday Inn's look like and have the services that this hotel has?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BMORE_CPA
David F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear BMORE_CPA,

Thank you for the encouraging feedback regarding your two recent stays with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Princeton SE. We strive daily to provide our guests with great rooms and great service, and it’s wonderful to hear that our efforts have translated into a comfortable, relaxing stay for you. If you enjoyed our current fitness center, we can be certain that you will enjoy the extensive fitness center and Olympic-size indoor pool that our guests will have access to when our sister hotel, the Crowne Plaza Princeton, opens this June. In addition to these added amenities, our guests will also enjoy the new restaurant and lounge, all accessible via the indoor walkway spanning our scenic lakeside property. It’s such a pleasure to provide a memorable experience for our guests, and we invite you to visit us again so that you can experience all the exciting, new amenities that we are so proud to offer.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The company I work for chose this hotel for our 3-day conference which meant that they also provided transportation to and from the airport to the hotel, which was 45 minutes away (we landed at Newark Airport). By the time another lady and I reached the hotel on a Thursday night, it was already around 8:00 pm and dark outside. Front Desk personnel were very nice, very courteous, and check-in was very easy since it had already been set up for us by our company. Some other women in our group had arrived and we were all treated very well by the Front Desk personnel. However, we were very disappointed to find that there was no restaurant on-site, not even a guest shop to buy snacks, and the "vending machine" that the hotel information sheet mentions only sold soft drinks. I went up to my room, unpacked and found that that there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. I've stayed at other Holiday Inn Express hotels previously with the company I work for and there always was a refrigerator & microwave in the room. There was also a restaurant on-site........or at least nearby. I'd brought some microwave popcorn with me so I went downstairs to the Breakfast area. No microwave down there either. I went back upstairs to ask the Front Desk people where the nearest restaurant was. I was told it was about 30 minutes away walking distance. And since it was already now nearing 9:00 pm and dark, there was no way I was going to walk. So dinner that night for me was an oatmeal cookie that I'd packed, and a glass of water. This hotel is very nice. The surroundings are pretty (when it wasn't raining and cold). Surrounded by trees, a very woodsy feeling. But it's secluded and off the main road. Nothing nearby at all. Now, I can walk 30 minutes away to the nearest restaurant or drug store in Plainsboro, but many of the women in our conference could not as they were older. I asked about shuttle service since there is a passenger van parked outside and wondered if we could be taken into Plainsboro (15 minutes by car or van). "No", we were told, "that's only used for marketing purposes". Marketing purposes? You can't even see the van from the main road and the nearest airport is 45 minutes away. So unless guests have a car or are physically able to walk the 30 minutes into Plainsboro or are willing to pay $25 for a cab ride into Plainsboro (one way), you're stuck. I was in conference all day till 5:30. The first full day, it rained all day so there was no possibility of going out. It's a good thing that I made myself a sandwich at lunch and took it to my room or I would have not had dinner. There has to be a restaurant on-site or close by because we had buffet-style lunches each day I was there. By the second day I was there I got sick. A bad cold. And no way to get any medication at all. Again.......would have been nice to at least have a small counter with basic needs, i.e. aspirin, crackers, etc. The room was comfortable, the view was nice, the staff was polite and helpful (and apologetic for the lack of transportation especially the "marketing" van), but I will not be staying at this hotel again without a vehicle. It's great for a getaway if you want to be far enough away from noise and traffic and have a quiet, pretty view. But if you want to eat, have a vehicle. Or be prepared to spend over $20 for a delivery from a few of the local restaurants. Which I resorted to doing the last day I was there. I was so sick and just wanted some soup but had to buy $20+ worth of food to have it delivered. So I hope the maid enjoyed the large pizza and the tip I left for her. All I wanted was the soup, some medication (which I didn't get till I got home), and to be home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
David F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Dollc,

We’d like to thank you for the review of your recent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Princeton South East. While we are pleased to hear that the front desk personnel were helpful and accommodating, we are sorry that we were unable to provide all of the services that would have perfected your stay. The location for our hotel was thoughtfully chosen to be a balance between wooded serenity and access to amenities such as local dining. However, please know that plans are in the works for our hotel to share a restaurant with the Crowne Plaza Princeton, our sister hotel which is located under the same roof and scheduled to open in June. Additionally, when the Crowne Plaza opens we will provide local shuttle service for both hotels. We truly value your feedback and would treasure the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small hotel built as part of a convention center. It's brand new and very pleasant. We especially liked the connection to the outdoors (so rare in chain hotels) provided by the full-length windows throughout the hotel which open onto the surrounding wooded grounds or the central pond filled with local wildfowl. Staff were very nice, the spaces modern and sunny. Unfortunately, it's so new that all the materials and finishes are off-gassing noxious fumes. I'm moderately chemically sensitive and had an allergic reaction within 15 minutes. Still, though, a very nice place to stay as far as mid-priced chain hotels go. About 8 minutes drive to the Princeton campus.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank staceyneil
David F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear staceyneil,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall experience and the connection to the outdoors. To your point the wooded surrounding and lake really are beautiful. Next time you visit you may want to enjoy a walking tour of Princeton University…the campus and overall setting is really spectacular.

The hotel has indeed recently opened so we are hopeful that if you return to the Princeton area you will stay with us again and by that time…hopefully you will not have any allergic reactions.

Thanks again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Holiday Inn Express is new and extremely clean with nice rooms. Front desk personnel, especially Perry, were friendly and helpful. Breakfast is standard Holiday Inn Express fare, but service was excellent. Only cons: were not told when making reservation that pool and gym are closed during renovations and will not open until April; hotel is hard to find and address does not show up correctly on navigation systems. Heating system in rooms is not great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Meh39
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Recently I stayed at this hotel and loved how friendly the staff was. I stayed back in February and can honestly say that this hotel is awesome. From the rooms to the staff to the breakfast it all was Great! Perry at the front desk however was very nice and had a great smile whenever we spoke to him. He also was very professional and offered great help when we couldn't find the hotel. Definitely will be staying here again in the coming months, this is one GREAT place! :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Brett E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainsboro
Crowne Plaza Princeton - Conference Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Princeton
Hyatt Place Princeton
Hyatt Place Princeton
#4 of 15 in Princeton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast? Share your experiences!