“Great hidden gem”
Review of Venice Italian Eatery - CLOSED

Venice Italian Eatery
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I recently stumbled in this great little restaurant in pitman and will be going back again. All 8 of our party enjoyed the food which was good portions very tasty and 12.95 for the showstopper dinners is almost for free.frank sinatra music playing softly was a real nice touch too.the showstopper included desert choice of homemade bread or rice pudding or 3 flavors of ice cream. The dessert was as good as the dinners. Also their homemade bread and dipping sauce is to die for.i would put this place and their food against anyone. I guess thatsvwhy they have been vited best dinners in gloucester county 2 of the last 3 years. I also found out vejice gives free thanksgiving dinners to thise in need each year and gave over 1,600 free dinners last thanksgiving. This is the kind of folks i will support for years to come.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We all went here for my son's birthday celebration. It was a bit chilly in the dining area. We all received different menus so that was a bit confusing. One of us had a take out menu. We ordered steak sandwiches and pizza mostly. The food was average. The pizza crust tasted a bit different, perhaps sourdough. It wasn't really good. We did order desserts to go as we had waited a bit for the dinner to come out. They were actually pretty good. We ate cannolis and tiramasu. It was a horrible experience but not the best either so I rated it average. Thank you!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a typical pizza / Italian restaurant. A section with small booths and a room with tables. We were there a couple of years ago for sandwiches & pizza, the food was just OK, the staff was rough and not very nice.
We decided to give it another try recently for dinner. The waitress was snippy and bothered. The room was cold. The food was just plain bad. The tomato sauce was very bland and bitter. The garlic & oil pasta dish had no flavor and had almost no meat in it. Both entrees came with soup and salad, one entree came with dessert. The escarole soup tastes nothing like any escarole soup I have ever had - very bland with a tomato broth. The salad was small but OK. The only dessert offered with the showstopper meal was bread pudding.
The bread pudding is the only thing that tasted good. Everything else was exceptionally poor, lacking garlic, onion and seasoning. The dinners are over-priced. Venice needs a new cook and new recipes.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I love their smoked mozzarella cheese on pizza, first and foremost. The best compliment I can pay this establishment is that they are so accommodating. When my son arrived back from a research journey to South Africa, we were going to have a party that night to welcome him home. Unfortunately, our plumbing had other ideas. we raced around trying to find a place that could handle the amount of people we had coming in a few hours notice and be reasonably priced too. The timing worked for everyone, the servers were top-notch girls, everyone loved the selection of food, nd best of all, the price was so reasonable even the plumbers bill couldn't phase us.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have to respectfully disagree with one reviewer who rated Venice Italian Eatery as poor. This place is not a five-star, Zagat rated restaurant, but the owners or managers do a very good job. Many New Jersey pizza places have small dining areas, as this place does, but Venice separates the dining room from the pick up counter very nicely and also separates the dining area from the several plastic topped tables there for people just getting a couple of slices and eating fast.

The dining area was reasonably well decorated for a family run, small-town New Jersey pizza place. The restaurant appeared to be incredibly clean. Dishes were china, not plastic, flatware was actually metal, and the napkins were cloth, white, and starched. The menu has the expected pizzas, hoagies, and salads, but also includes a number of entrees and a separate theater-goers menu served every night even if there isn't a show at the theater across the street. This menu features a number of entrees, most for $12.95 and includes soup, salad, bread, entree, and dessert.

We had two dinners from the special menu, each of us choosing a different entree and soup. The soups appeared to be homemade and were very tasty. We have lived in Europe where restaurants know how to make soup and where soup is a part of many meals. These soups were as good as any we ever had in Europe. The salad was a basic iceberg lettuce salad with some pepper strips, tomatoes, and cucumber. The dressings did appear to come from a bottle, but at this price what else would you expect? Romaine would have been better than iceberg, but I suppose it is a price point issue. My wife had the ravioli special (most of these type Italian places in this area don't even offer ravioli) and I had chicken parm with pasta. Each plate came with a different red sauce (gravy is the correct term within the Italian community) and both sauces were tasty. Made in the restaurant or out of a "bucket" as another reviewer wrote? I don't know and I'm not sure I care. The sauces tasted good then and still tasted good the next day when we reheated our leftovers for lunch. Dessert choices were limited on the special, but still included several flavors of pudding and ice cream, bread pudding, and any of ten flavors of water ice.

Service was good (we were ahead of the theater crowd that night, so maybe that made a difference) and the waitress was attentive. This is a main street restaurant, so parking is mostly on the street, although they advertise parking in the back. This is New Jersey, so expect the Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin sound tracks, which at least are generally soothing and don't annoy you with objectional music.

All in all, a very good restaurant and surprising to find it in Pitman, which is a very small town. It was a twenty-plus minute drive for us and we felt it was well worth the time.