“Not Good”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Malaga, NJ
“Not Good”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a typical pizza / Italian restaurant. A section with small booths and a room with tables. We were there a couple of years ago for sandwiches & pizza, the food was just OK, the staff was rough and not very nice.
We decided to give it another try recently for dinner. The waitress was snippy and bothered. The room was cold. The food was just plain bad. The tomato sauce was very bland and bitter. The garlic & oil pasta dish had no flavor and had almost no meat in it. Both entrees came with soup and salad, one entree came with dessert. The escarole soup tastes nothing like any escarole soup I have ever had - very bland with a tomato broth. The salad was small but OK. The only dessert offered with the showstopper meal was bread pudding.
The bread pudding is the only thing that tasted good. Everything else was exceptionally poor, lacking garlic, onion and seasoning. The dinners are over-priced. Venice needs a new cook and new recipes.

• Visited January 2013

Glassboro, New Jersey
“Visit Venice Very nice”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I love their smoked mozzarella cheese on pizza, first and foremost. The best compliment I can pay this establishment is that they are so accommodating. When my son arrived back from a research journey to South Africa, we were going to have a party that night to welcome him home. Unfortunately, our plumbing had other ideas. we raced around trying to find a place that could handle the amount of people we had coming in a few hours notice and be reasonably priced too. The timing worked for everyone, the servers were top-notch girls, everyone loved the selection of food, nd best of all, the price was so reasonable even the plumbers bill couldn't phase us.

Visited November 2012
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Hidden Gem in Small Town”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have to respectfully disagree with one reviewer who rated Venice Italian Eatery as poor. This place is not a five-star, Zagat rated restaurant, but the owners or managers do a very good job. Many New Jersey pizza places have small dining areas, as this place does, but Venice separates the dining room from the pick up counter very nicely and also separates the dining area from the several plastic topped tables there for people just getting a couple of slices and eating fast.

The dining area was reasonably well decorated for a family run, small-town New Jersey pizza place. The restaurant appeared to be incredibly clean. Dishes were china, not plastic, flatware was actually metal, and the napkins were cloth, white, and starched. The menu has the expected pizzas, hoagies, and salads, but also includes a number of entrees and a separate theater-goers menu served every night even if there isn't a show at the theater across the street. This menu features a number of entrees, most for $12.95 and includes soup, salad, bread, entree, and dessert.

We had two dinners from the special menu, each of us choosing a different entree and soup. The soups appeared to be homemade and were very tasty. We have lived in Europe where restaurants know how to make soup and where soup is a part of many meals. These soups were as good as any we ever had in Europe. The salad was a basic iceberg lettuce salad with some pepper strips, tomatoes, and cucumber. The dressings did appear to come from a bottle, but at this price what else would you expect? Romaine would have been better than iceberg, but I suppose it is a price point issue. My wife had the ravioli special (most of these type Italian places in this area don't even offer ravioli) and I had chicken parm with pasta. Each plate came with a different red sauce (gravy is the correct term within the Italian community) and both sauces were tasty. Made in the restaurant or out of a "bucket" as another reviewer wrote? I don't know and I'm not sure I care. The sauces tasted good then and still tasted good the next day when we reheated our leftovers for lunch. Dessert choices were limited on the special, but still included several flavors of pudding and ice cream, bread pudding, and any of ten flavors of water ice.

Service was good (we were ahead of the theater crowd that night, so maybe that made a difference) and the waitress was attentive. This is a main street restaurant, so parking is mostly on the street, although they advertise parking in the back. This is New Jersey, so expect the Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin sound tracks, which at least are generally soothing and don't annoy you with objectional music.

All in all, a very good restaurant and surprising to find it in Pitman, which is a very small town. It was a twenty-plus minute drive for us and we felt it was well worth the time.

• Visited July 2012
Pitman, New Jersey
“I was embarassed and regretted bringing my foodie-in-laws here”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

When I have guests from out of town, normally I would take them to Sweet Lula's, as that place is undoubtedly the best place in our little town. But one of my in-laws is a vegetarian, and so Lula's seemed not appropriate.

I wanted to be sure that my sister-in-law would get a vegetarian meal, and I wasn't sure with Lula. That is why I chose to take them here. What a bad mistake, and I am so embarrassed now.

The place is small and usually full in the evenings, as they are affiliated with a neighbouring theater, and many theater gowers are having their dinner here before they go see a show. But that small space was not the problem. We did get seated right away, and the waitress was nice.

But the food was not homemade. The Alfredo sauce came quite obviously "out of a bucket", as my sister-in-law said out loud over the table. Restaurants are not buying sauces in jars or cans, they are getting huge sizes of premade stuff in buckets. She is a cook and knows that, and my own common sense agrees to that. That's why the term bucket.

This Alfedo Sauce has never been in touch with real cream (let alone the specific butter type the ORIGINAL Alfredo Sauce is requiring!).

At least the food was served on real plates (of china) and we had real flatware. And the soup (Minestrone? Don't remember) was actually not bad, and the bread pudding served as dessert was OK, too. But the Alfredo Sauce simply ruined what was planned as a nice Family Dinner.

I should have been warned when they called their tomato sauce "red sauce gravy"...

And when I was already embarrassed in front of my NY family members, it came actually worse: while still eating, we were approached by the waitress and handed a paper, and she said something like they'd ask us to vote for them in this contest.

Yes, really, they had the nerve to ask the patrons to vote for them as best eating place around (or whatever the wording was). That was really a turnoff. Well, my sister-in-law laughed her behind off once we were back in the car, but I was the embarrassed one.

Next time I will call Lula's and try to work a deal out with them. Never again will I take anyone out to Venice. Still ashamed!

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Tracy B
Westville, New Jersey, United States
“Surprise”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The place is clean and quite nice. The wait people were very helpful abet a little leasurly. The food was good nd plenty of it. It is a great place to bring your children.

• Visited June 2012