“Low expectations but tapas were excellent”
Review of Barcelona Bistro - CLOSED

Barcelona Bistro
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Vineland, New Jersey
“Low expectations but tapas were excellent”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

After reading some very negative reviews, I was a bit skeptical about dining there, but my husband had bought a groupon, so we went to dinner combining it with a theater trip to the Broadway in Pitman, I had never even been to Pitman before. The atmosphere wasn't anything to really comment on -- one large room with paintings/photographs on the wall which were not thematic to the restaurant, but so what. The one thing that surprised me was the jarring sound of the restaurant's telephone ringing throughout the dining room. Anyway, all the help were very friendly, and after some initial confusion over whether our groupon was good for only dinner or the tapas, which would not have mattered anyway, we had our choice of tapas. . . We are seafood lovers, so we ordered "hot" mussels, clams with pork, calamari in garlic and salt sauce (I'm not sure of the actual names of the dishes). My husband wanted to try the gazpacho soup, which was excellent but I thought that the toast/crouton was too oily and maybe a bit rancid. We also got the bruschetta with blue cheese, which, although was not how I had pictured it, was very tasty. But again, for my taste, it was way too much oil in the salsa. The calamari was a bit chewy but good. In fact, all the sauces of the different seafood we tried, were excellent and we had to get more bread, which was YUMMY. The mussels in the hot sauce made me tear up, and the clam and pork combination was surprisingly good. We also got an order of muchrooms. Although I loved how crispy they were, they were definitely oversalted. Being conscious of sodium intake, my husband, especially, couldn't eat them. We told the waitress about that and she said she would tell the chef. At first I was planning to take the mushrooms home, to reuse them on a pizza but changed my mind and ate them, since we were going on to a show afterwards. We also got desert -- the manhattan, I think she called it, It was a tartuffe -- chocolate ball with chopped maraschino cherry in the center, surrounded by vanilla and chocolate ice cream, encased in a chocolate shell. This was attractively sliced and served so we could share it. Each tapas was in a $9 range, the soup less, and the desert, too. The portions were enough for us to share, but if we had ordered only 2 each, we'd have left hungry. But we were happy, and would go back.

• Visited January 2013

pitman
“tapas tapas tapas”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

i had the tapas the menu last nite and it was fantastic will be as to have the 7 fishes menu xmas eve.

• Visited December 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“asi`asi`”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

First thing I must say is that our waiter was very nice and caring. He accommodated us, and was efficient. The appetizers were very good, the food was not bad, I had a lamb shank that was a bit overdone, but tasty.
There is a sharing charge of $5.00. This left a bad impression that I could not shake. Overall, the prices are not low so, I had the feeling that the sharing charge was a detriment to enjoying the experience.
The dining room was overall unimpressive and the acoustics were horrible. Other conversations just bounced and echoed.
I may go back, but it will be a while.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank sjs4711
pitman
“the best restaurant in sj”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

great place to have a party had 70 people sat nite it was great the food was outstanding service great

• Visited October 2012
Sewell, New Jersey
“Very unfresh”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The service was nice but very inexperienced. All of the food seemed like it was on the brink of being inedible. I think the flavor would have been there if fresh food was used.

• Visited October 2012