“Where's the Manager??”

Motel 6 Piscataway (NYC Area)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Piscataway
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The management at this location needs to be more customer friendly. She indicated that she has managed this property for awhile, however, she isn't knowledgable on information. If you want to press your items, you need to ask the guest service agents, when they don't have an attitude, if it's alright. Only having 3 available for guests is not efficient. The staff at the location, do not seem to care about it's customers because they will send you to rooms that are not cleaned or to a room that is already occupied.

I ask the question, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MANAGEMENT at this location? They recently renovated their rooms with spacious areas, however the staff really needs to be trained on providing better customer service.

Room Tip: If your looking for customer service, think twice!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank J J

Reviewed July 5, 2013

If we fly into New York we usually plan to go south, so its the logical place to stay. Not too far from either JFK or Newark and that much needed good nights sleep.
It is easy to find with plenty of easy parking. As we are either arriving or leaving the USA we try to get any easy access downstairs room, this trip room 175.
A great welcome by the pleasant happy receptionist, we were quickly booked in and settled. Walmart is easily accessed through the rear door of the building for all those things that we have usually forgotten and restaurants are walkable.
In the morning it is clear to see that management try hard to 'beautify' the outside areas. It's a Motel 6, and this one is more than acceptable

Room Tip: Personally, we like easy access outside rooms, though if your nervous, you have the choice of inside...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed a night at this motel and the location is good. The room is also half newly renovated, It's a good motel if it was'nt for the bad cleaning. The beed sheets was wrinkly (washed at all?) and is was blood stains on the bed sheet. I showed the receptionist, but the answer was "Thay have used to much chlorin, I will notice them".

She did not think of switch the room for us...

Room Tip: Choose another motel if you are looking for service and cleanliness.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jarvsen
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Was in Somerset, NJ on business, this location (5 miles south of Somerset) was more affordable than any of those locations. Hotel worked great for my stay. Just the basics! I personally feel WiFi should be included at hotels, so I opted out of the excessive daily fee.
My only issue of note is that they do not provide a quick breakfast (which I believe is advertised), only coffee.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Spent two nights at the Motel 6 in Piscataway, NJ. Booked through Orbitz but found the same price at motel of $49.99, senior discount brought it to 44.95. Motel is well kept, staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms are basic but do have cable TV. No other amenities such as kleanx, shampoo, hair dryer, Room was very clean. Close (walking distance - half mile) to many food places and restaurants. Highly recommend if you just want the basics at a great price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Paul L
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel was great for what it is supposed to be. A cheap, clean, comfortable room for the night. Don't expect anything fancy and you won't be disappointed. The staff was friendly, the room and bed was clean and this was the cheapest hotel I could find on my way to New York City. Plus there is a Dunkin' Donuts across the parking lot where you can find a quick breakfast and coffee.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jtrek72
Reviewed March 31, 2012

It's been decades since I have stayed in a Motel 6. Years ago, they were cheap, but cheerful, basic accommodation. I found this location cheerful and basic, but not so cheap. I found myself in the area just South of Newark Airport, needing a place to stay for one night. Usually, I book in advance, to guarantee the best rate, but I found myself in the area a day earlier than planned. There are several independent motels along US Route 1. Many advertise "prices from..." a very low rate. I stopped at one, intending to stay, but when I went to the desk, they quoted me a rate double the starting price. I had remembered passing a sign for a Ramada, along I 287, in Piscataway, which advertised a lower starting price than the one this independent was actually quoting. I figured, if I am going to pay that much, I might as well stay at a chain property, which would meet higher standards. I left and drove back to Piscataway. When I got off I 287, I saw there were several hotels in the area and followed a sign for the Motel 6, hoping for a cheaper price than the Ramada. The sign in front of the Motel 6 advertised "Wi Fi." Internet access is a must for me, so I was pleased.

When I checked in, again, I was quoted a higher price than the starting price, but it was only a little higher. I was tired and decided it was acceptable. Unlike the independent I stopped at, where the lobby looked like the motel was used by hookers, the Motel 6 look to meet a higher standard and been suitable for famlies. After paying, I asked if a password was needed to access the WiFi. The desk clerk said yes and I needed to pay for it. Gotcha! I realzed that the sign advertising "WiFi" didn't say "Free WiFi." I hate these kind of games, especially in this day and age, where I think WiFi access is a basic necessity, the way a phone and a TV in the room is. The charge was only an additional $2.50, for 24 hours, so I paid it, but I would rather be quoted the full price, including taxes and WiFi, as many properties quote including free WiFi. With the add ons, this Motel 6 was ending up not so cheap. I started wishing I had gone to the Ramada. Another gripe I have is that, if I hadn't asked if a password was necessary, the clerk at check-in would have let me go to my room, without selling me the WiFi access. I would have discovered that I couldn't access the internet, then would have had to come back to the front desk to arrange it. Not only would this be inconvenient, and thus annoying, but she was missing an opportunity to upsell me, which is bad business.

The room was clean and had the basic ammenities, but no shampoo was provided, which usually is at other chains. I can appreciate skimping on ammenities, if the price is very low. Here, I felt I was paying as much as I would at another property, but getting less for it. Also, the phone nad a notice saying I couldn't charge long distance calls to my room. Given the high number of area codes in the New York area, this was very inconvenient. When trying to arrange to meet a freind for lunch, the next day, I had to use my UK mobile, incurring expensive roaming charges, then ask my friend to call me back.

If you don't want to use the internet, don't want to call anybody, and don't want to wash your hair, this Motel 6 will provide you a clean, safe place to spend the night. However, I wouldn't stay there again, as I expect to be able to do all those things, especially when paying the amount I was paying.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piscataway
Best Western The Garden Executive Hotel
Best Western The Garden Executiv...
#3 of 5 in South Plainfield
Red Roof Inn Edison
Red Roof Inn Edison
#6 of 15 in Edison
WoodSpring Suites South Plainfield
WoodSpring Suites South Plainfie...
#2 of 5 in South Plainfield
Extended Stay America - Piscataway - Rutgers University
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - P...
#4 of 5 in South Plainfield
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield

Been to Motel 6 Piscataway (NYC Area)? Share your experiences!