“Excellent Service... Poor Quality”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Piscataway
Reviewed February 20, 2014

First and foremost, I will say that the customer service I received was superior! They took great care to more than effectively handled my complaint and overall dissatisfaction with this particular Embassy Suites Hotel. I say this particular Embassy Suites because I have stayed at several Embassy Suites in the country and have never come across one in this condition! Upon arrival it was overcrowded in the lobby due to rooms not being ready for guests when it was well after the required check-in time. The furniture in the lobby appeared old and had a run-down quality to them. Fortunately, my room was available, but unfortunately, the room was severely not up to par with not only my standards, but the Hilton Brand as a whole! For starters, the room was not clean! There were remnants of an obvious bachelorette party that was given in the room the previous night as there was still a "pin the kiss on the man" naked poster game taped to the bedroom door. I had 13 year olds with me, so they certainly got a kick out of that! Additionally, the bathtub was still dirty, the room and lamps were extremely dusty. The lamp shades were bent and cracked. The appliances were not up to the Embassy Suites standard I have come to expect. The rooms and bathrooms are significantly smaller than the other Embassy Suites I have had to pleasure to stay in... My daughter, her friends and I were disappointed to say the least, as we expected more from Embassy Suites... I immediately went back to the front desk and spoke with the agent regarding my concerns and disgust, who was absolutely receptive and completely non-defensive. Her customer service skills are impeccable and models EXACTLY what an individual in her position should be doing on a regular basis! I wish more customer service agents in the hospitality industry had her genuine care and concern for customers satisfaction! She gets an A++ from me! Excellent Work! She comped 2 drinks for me at the bar, as well as a movie. And more over, upgraded our room! My daughter had recently just gotten out of the hospital and I was using this 2-night hotel stay as a small get away for us. The excitement and the smile on my daughters face once we switched rooms brought tears to my eyes! I hate to still complain because I am very grateful for the agents kind attitude. However, although the room was bigger, the overall condition of the furniture and appliances in the room as well as the dining area downstairs could use some serious improvement. I don't know if I am the only customer who has made complaints against this hotel. Frankly, I don't see how anyone who is honestly familiar with what Embassy Suites usually has to offer WOULDN'T complain! This hotel is (in my opinion) some type of ghetto rendition of the Embassy Suites I am accustomed to. Good grief! If it had not been for the excellent customer service, I would have canceled my reservation and trekked in the snow to the Parsippany Embassy Suites instead! Kudos to Maurica once again, and I sincerely hope you will take my other observations into serious consideration! Maybe then you will start to attract a different quality/caliber of customers to frequent your hotel... Although I am happy with the customer service of their employees, and especially the front desk agent who assisted me, I will more than likely not return unless the other areas of concern are addressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I would have expected more from a Hilton than what I got. My stay was during Valentines weekend and there were a large amount of kids being loud and running in the hallways. In addition, we planned on dinner at their restaurant and were disappointed. The menu was not flattering, the prices were high and the services was slow as there was only one waiter. Though he was nice and helpful it was far below what I expected from a Hilton.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed just one night, but it was a great experience! The staff was super friendly and efficient, my room was cozy, clean and warm and the room service meal came super fast and was delicious! I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Used for a couples retreat and though the hotel was completely booked we were made to feel we were the only ones there. They took extra care to every detail and gave us great coffee and water service and the meals were nicely accomplished. Great Service!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lloyd P
Reviewed February 13, 2014

A tired facility in an isolated location. I had a meeting in Piscataway and the hotel was the designated place for for those of us attending. It snowed that day and the first problem was finding transportation to the hotel from the nearest railroad station - not the easiest. Without wheels there were was no place to eat other than the Hotel - again a very limited choice. Taking the shuttle from the Hotel to my meeting also had its problems. I must say the staff was very nice and tried to be helpful, quite a contrast to the facility itself - badly in need of an overhaul.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Phone didn't work. Toilet didn't flush properly. TV didn't work. Happy hour not up to Embassy Suites standards. Food was only chips and pretzels. Limited to one cocktail. Service was nonexistent. Outdated. Seriously in need of an update or renovation.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Paul M, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

I am sorry to hear about your stay. As you can see by the large amount of great responses on this site, this is not the norm at our hotel. I mentioned in a few of the recent responses that the hotel has a wonderful renovation planned in 2014 and the pictures look fantastic. As for the other concerns, while they are not acceptable, they are fixable. I will personally check the hotel log to make sure all of these issues have been fixed. Please reach out to me directly so we can discuss a few ways to make the situation right. We are so thankful that you chose us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was in the area for work and was staying here only because co-workers were staying here. I have always liked Embassy Suites hotels and this was nice but the rooms were a little dated. I was disappointed in the one drink only policy during the managers exception but I understand this is a New Jersey state law thing (another reason to not like New Jersey). The lobby and atrium are great. The complimentary breakfast is nice and included cooked-to-order items however I try to eat light and healthy for breakfast so that wasn't as big a positive for me. The workout facility was good enough. The staff seemed really friendly and the room was clean. The area surrounding also seemed secure and that's very important.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff D

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. You had some great feedback and you also mentioned some great points that I would like to address. First, we try our best to explain to all of our guests that the NJ state law and health codes do not allow any hotel in NJ to offer more than one complimentary drink. All hotels in NJ comply. As for the hotel being a little dated, our great renovation will be completed this year so please come back and see us soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
Radisson Piscataway
#2 of 4 in Piscataway
Hampton Inn & Suites Bridgewater
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset? Share your experiences!