“Beware of Bedbugs”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Piscataway
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during by recent business trip and really horrified of Bedbugs. I was in Room no:306 and looks like it has a serious problem with Bed bugs. I had to move out next day. Hotel is bit old and out dated furniture. Only positive about the hotel is, staff are friendly and courteous during my midnight check-in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Madhu c
Paul M, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

I am sorry to hear about your past stay. I see that this is your first Trip Advisor posting so I hope my response is helpful.

In regards to the hotel being "old" with "outdated furniture", you will be happy to know that the hotel has a wonderful renovation planned. All rooms, meeting rooms, public space and furniture will be brand new. Please do visit us soon to see the great progress.

As for the claim about bugs, as soon as we heard your feedback we closed that suite and contacted a vendor to search the room. You will be happy to know that the room was confirmed not to have any bed bugs. Even though the room did not have any bugs, we took no chances. We completed a deep clean of the entire room and replaced the mattress. I can assure you and all other travelers that our hotel has never had a bug problem in any room.

On our most recent brand tracking survey, our hotel scored a 99% cleanliness score in Housekeeping. Please do try us again. Thank you and please reach out to me or the General Manager directly if you wish to speak further.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Very pretty atrium. Nice rooms with mini kitchen. Sink area in bathroom was a little small but there was another larger counter with a sink in the bedroom. Bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thanks for the great review. We love to hear positive feedback about the hotel and our staff. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My stay was an enjoyable one. The hotel is very clean. The elevator was clean too. No smells at all. The view going to my 3rd floor room was picturesque. The atrium was beautiful, so beautiful I took a picture of it; and made it my phone's screen saver.
The Breakfast is very good, Freshly made eggs (Your Way), Omelets of your choice, French toast,Pancakes,Sausage, Bacon,Potatoes,4-5 different Cereals, 4 tyes of Juices ,teas,coffees, Mini-danishes,M-donuts,M-cupcakes, Wheat or white bread, bagels,fresh cut fruit bowl, and fresh fruit ie:Bananas,Apples. Everything was delicious.
The corners in the rooms could use a little tidying up. What I mean is, sweep out the collected dust particles that the vacuum cleaner could not collect. A Small concern for allergy suffers. The hotel is a bit off the open track in an industrial type area, also not convenient to the local businesses too.
I had No problem Checking In or Checking Out !! The Front Desk Staff, the Bartender, the Breakfast Crew(all) even the maintenance man, they were all professional employees to me. I stayed there Oct 4,5, and left Oct. 6th, 2013.

I told my wife how pleased I was to have stayed here @ the Embassy Suites. And I would return anytime I was in the Piscataway area. But I would remember to bring my bathing suit next time.
Bob Lecato, Mercerville, NJ

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Paul M, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thanks so much for your review. It seems you had a great stay. You will be happy to know that we received additional feedback from your VFW group on our meeting planner surveys. It seems everyone was as pleased as you. That makes our staff proud. We look forward to seeing you at the next event (and don’t forget to bring your bathing suit!)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed in May as part of a convention. The room was clean with plenty of extra towels and pillows. Hadie was our housekeeper, guest services person and all around go to person for help. We were lucky enough to stay on the fourth floor where this lady works her magic everyday. She always had a smile and our rooms were always done before we came back from breakfast. Sunday morning I went down for breakfast rather early not expecting Hadie to be in our room at that hour so I left some clothing and stuff on the bed. When I came back not only was my bed made but everything was exactly as I left it. Hadie really made my stay a perfect one and I hope management shares this review with her. Every hotel needs at least one Hadie. Oh yes and the room was very nice and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

You will be happy to know that Hadie will be nominated for employee of the month. Your kind comments are so appreciated. It’s amazing how hard our housekeeping staff works on a daily basis. We will be sure to post your comments for all staff members and managers to see. Thanks so much.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This Embassy Suites is quite nice inside. Like others, It has the whole tropical plant and stream with fountain theme going. I found nothing wrong with my rooms.
Breakfasts are pretty good, and room furnishings are clean and in good condition. The TV channels are a bit skimpy but the TVs are 37" HighDef models. The location on Centennial Avenue is off in an industrial and hotel wasteland with nothing within walking distance. Nearest signs of life and food are about 2.5-3.5 miles away. Also, contrary to some other comments, I did not see one child here anywhere.
As a HHonors Diamond member you are supposed to get coupons redeemable for a drink at the bar. Ask for them if the front desk forgets to go through their checklist of what to do for you. I read another review where the comment was made "most staff just carrying around their name badges...no greetings, not welcoming." Can't say my experience puts this to rest.
One thing that's very irritating about this hotel is the lack of concern for guests exhibited by the management. The regular staff is fairly responsive when you're right in front of them, but they do seem to be taking their cues from management.
An example will illustrate what I'm talking about.
Last week the smoke alarm started its low-battery chirping. At 1:30am. Maintenance staff had long since departed so the one guy available for odd jobs came up and tried to pry the back of the alarm off to change the battery.
After multiple attempts perched on a chair he gave up. He seemed at a complete loss of what to do.
I suggested I receive a key card to a new room so I could sleep and then return to my present room in the morning to shower and change. I was not in the mood to pack up and relocate. My new friend ran downstairs to confer with someone who could make this decision.
Apparently this wasn't a good idea. Instead, when he returned he hopped back up on the chair I had dragged over for him and he ripped the wires out of the alarm. I could have done that and been back to sleep in a matter of a minute.
Problem solved though.
So did management at least inquire as to whether the rest of my night went well? Did they offer up an apology? Did they even bother to say "sucked being you last night"?
Nope. Nothing. Just another routine night in Embassy Suites Piscataway I guess. Taking that management cue, none of the other staff felt bothered to even mention the incident. Even when I checked with the front desk staff the next morning to make sure the issue was logged and they knew that I was not the one that damaged the smoke alarm.
Mr. Paul Marsico, you mentioned in your note to Susan V on another review that you were going to speak to the staff about making sure that they offer more than just a "thank you" when a guest brings a concern to their attention.
I'd suggest that you wasted your breath and time. Actions of management are speaking louder than your words.
As a business traveler who routinely logs 140 or more nights in hotels during the year, I'm spoiled I suppose. Go ahead Paul, I'm easy to find in the HHonors system. I'm off my Hilton pace this year because my most recent client had us in a Sheraton. You'll note the Hilton gap of 5 months. I have come to expect some acknowledgement that I'm a high-spend guest. I expect to be treated with at least a minimum of respect.
I suppose this hotel has a high enough average occupancy going that management just doesn't feel the need to give a damn about their guests.
That's fine with me.
I'll find another Hilton property to stay at for the next 6 months that I'll be in this area. There's plenty to choose from. Dismiss me, dismiss my expense account money.

Room Tip: Only had two rooms in two weeks in almost the same location (511 and 509). Seemed fine to me. They b...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DFW_nomad

Thanks for staying with us and I hope you give us another chance. I read through your review and I would like to address your comments/concerns:

- Glad to hear the hotel is "nice". You and other will be happy to know that we are in the process of completing a large scale renovation to improve even further. All suites, public space, exterior and meeting rooms will be completed.
- All guests receive a comp drink coupon upon arrival which can be used during the evening reception. If a coupon is missing from your welcome packet, please let us know so we can give you additional coupons.
- You refer to some other reviews on this great site. From time to time, a below average review is written so I encourage you and others to read the response. I give my word that all responses are true and if we say we will address something, we will. I also encourage you and others to read the many positive reviews that outnumber those below average reviews. Customer service is most important to us.
- Glad to hear the maintenance staff member was helpful. I apologize that nobody from management reached out to you the next morning to talk about the beeping alarm. I will check the log to make sure it was properly logged and use this example as a training exercise to see that it does not happen again. All guest concerns should and will be addressed by the appropriate staff members.
- On behalf of all our employees, we appreciate your status as a Hilton Hhonors Member. You are family to us so we would like the chance to make it up to you. Please ask for me personally prior to (or upon) your next arrival. I would like to meet with you to discuss further

Thanks and we would love the chance to host your next stay in the local market.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Wonderful place, affordable and has all the amentities you'd expect. They have suites ranging from top to more affordable but even their affordable suites are still pretty nice. I would highly recommend giving them a look when you come to NJ.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank travis t

On behalf of our entire staff, thanks for writing such a nice review. I will personally read this at our next morning meeting. See you soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Front desk staff were very helpfull and breakfast was complimentary (excellent breakfast quality). I will stay here again. The room was clean and organized. Beautiful on site service. I will stay here again with family.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

This is great! Thanks for the kind comments. We look forward to seeing you and your family soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Piscataway
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
Extended Stay America - Piscataway - Rutgers University
The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Homewood Suites Somerset
Homewood Suites Somerset
#1 of 16 in Somerset

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset? Share your experiences!