“Surprisingly Great”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Piscataway
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We were travelling to New Jersey to visit some family that we haven't seen in a long time. They reccomended the Embassy Suites as they have attended parties there and thought the hotel was lovely. We called the hotel in advanced for information on transportation from the airport and the Front Desk staff were very informative and helpful. We got lost on our way there and again called the Front Desk and they stayed on the phone with us until we were comfortable to drive on our own! If the prearrival of service was not enough they greeted us with smiles when we got there and as soon as we mentioned we got lost they new exactly who we were! We had asked for a crib in our suite for our 1 year old and they had it already set-up in the suite with a cute panda for our daughter! The rooms were spacious and very clean, and the hotel was impressive with it's open space and greenery.

Throughout our stay all of the staff were accomodating and friendly! Breakfast was most enjoyable and for free too! Upon our departure the Front Desk recognized us and even remembered our names. This is exactly what service should be, and to find it in a location that you would not normally think would be like unless in a 5 star resort is even better!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed January 28, 2008

Hubby and I checked in at 3:00 p.m., after a long day's drive from New Hampshire. For the first time in any of our ES stays, we were given a ground floor room. We also learned the hotel is under renovation... fortunately, we arrived late enough not to hear any noise, and left early enough the following morning to avoid the sound of jack-
hammering (an event we were informed of thanks to a sheet of paper in our room).

The suite was ready and clean, although dated. In the living area, there was no coffee table, although judging by the indents on the dirty brown carpet, there had been one at an earlier time.

Unlike other Embassy Suites, which tend to provide surfaces to place light traveling bags on, there was no such thing in this suite. There was, however, a suitcase holder in the closet. That helped.

There was a sink in the bedroom as well as in the bathroom and in the kitchen area. Seemed like an unnecessary sink in the bedroom, particularly for just the two of us. Perhaps a larger family would find it more useful. This suite had the smallest kitchen area I’ve seen in an Embassy Suites, but it had a microwave, fridge, coffee pot and the above mentioned sink.

We had a very comfy king sized bed, although the large window in the bedroom, despite full drapes, had cold wind blowing through it. We couldn't find where the leaks were, and hope the renovations handle that problem since the heating system didn't full warm up the room, and when it shuts itself off, it sounds as if it’s sneezing! We used the extra blankets provided in the room and managed to sleep just fine.

The bathtub is nice and deep, with an arced shower rod, giving more shower room (always appreciated).

To access the bathroom from the living area, you have to go through the bedroom door. We’ve run into this occasionally and I've never understood it. If you have kids sleeping on the sofa bed, they need to get into your room in order to get into the bathroom. The architectural design could easily have accommodated placing the door to the bedroom just beyond the door to the bath in order to avoid this.

After we got our bags in the room, hubby and I both wanted a glass of wine, so we headed to the bar. It was poorly tended at 3:20 -- when a playoff (pre-superbowl) game was being played and guests were gathered to watch on the large TV.

The bar and restaurant offer limited menus, but the food was good. Hors d’oeuvres during the “manager’s reception” were deep fried potato pancakes and popcorn. This hotel also offers one free drink during the reception, and additional drinks are $1.75 each.

The atrium is very nicely done, with real plants and trees throughout, a charming fountain, bridges over streams, and nice areas to sit in without feeling crowded. It's also the only atrium we've been in with a billiard table!

All-in-all, for the money ($139.00 a night) it was a good value.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We needed a hotel to use as our base for a 3 day Thanksgiving excursion into NYC. We like Embassy but I was concerned because this one was $50 a night or more less than comparable hotels in north Jersey. Not to worry; it's an older property but it met the Embassy standards. The king mattress we had was outstanding and the bedding quality and quantity was excellent. The room temp controls were new and worked quite well.

The staff really shined here; we arrived at 10:30 AM due to much better than expected traffic and were still allowed to check in. I explained my plan to drive the 30 miles or so to visit Manhattan and was given better advice - take NJ transit's train - and given a good quality local area map showing the station and all local restaurants. The hotel is only 15 mins from the New Brunswick station and is also adjacent to the Rutgers campus. The train connects with local NJ stops and Newark Airport, Secauscus Junction, and finally with Penn Station after about a comnfortable and scenic 40 min ride into the 34th St in Penn Station in NYC, a great way and location to come and go.

I needed to check email and was given a code to use the lobby comuter rather than pay $10 for 24 hrs of wireless. That should be included in the room rate but it is not. The breakfast buffet was excellent (need more whole grains though) for the rare omlette, potatoes, and bacon grease fest I occasionally enjoy while traveling.

My only complaint is standard for Embassy - kids running unsupervised and noisily around the interior walkways on several levels at once creating quite a ruckus. A closed door took care of that soon enough but I'd like to see the staff put an end to kids running around so much.

Local rip-off taxes added about $18 to the confirmed nightly rate but that's New Jersey for you. If you're looking for a family hotel convenient to rail, NYC and easy access from I-287 of the Jersey Turnpike, then this hotel should work very well for you

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Birdstrike
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Stayed at the Embassy Suites - Somerset/Piscataway for two weeks with my elderly mother and son while my mom was undergoing daily medical treatments nearby. The staff was super accommodating, the property is spacious and comfortable, and the location was convenient for our travels.

Since the property is located in an industrial park/office park-type area, it is very quiet during the day. It picked up nicely in the evening and for the morning breakfast, which was awesome.

We chose this property because it accepts small pets (my mom can't live without her dog) and they have smoking rooms. I couldn't find any other hotels in the area where we could do both.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2006

This place is worth it for the breakfast buffet alone. We had three teenagers with us and fit nicely into the 2-bed plus sofa bed suite. The bathroom was small, though.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I just got back from a one night stay at the Embassy. I have to say, my first impression on drive up appeal was a liitle scary because it seemed secluded/abandoned and vacant. I later found out from the front desk that it is in a business district and it clears out in the evening. I got there around 4:15. Being a single traveler, I did not feel scared, just isolated. The front desk was affable and knowledgeable.

Pros: Seemed clean. My room did not have hair or ants in the bathroom. Renovations are good, not above the norm, but suitable. The gym was decent. It was the size of a suite. I got a chance to workout and it was not bad. The hotel is close to the freeway. Shopping strip mall is near. You definitely need a car. There are no buses or trains to walk to. About 4 miles east, you will find Walmart, TGI Fridays, Lowes, Burlington Coat Factory, Macy's, Sallys Beauty, Johnny Carinoes etc...to name a few. Fridge and Microwave were helpful. The managers reception was nice. I was given a coupon for a free drink with choices of wine or beer.

Cons: My room smelled like burnt popcorn, but I did not feel like moving again.... (I moved to Embassy because I did not like my room at the Hyatt Regency). The breakfast was okay, just not at the normal High Level Quality that I have received at other embassy hotels. The handle to get the bacon was broken. It kind of looked thrown together. The juice seemed watered down.

I was traveling on my company's expense, but If I had to go back on my own dime, I would stay there if the price was right.

Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed August 29, 2006

New Renovation Looks Terrible and Felt Very Uncomfortable. We had a meeting in a room that had IKEA Lamps on the ceiling. Staff was rude and little blond sales girl did not stop hitting on my sales team. The food was bland and we will not return here.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
Homewood Suites Somerset
Homewood Suites Somerset
#1 of 16 in Somerset
The Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset? Share your experiences!