“An Excellent Stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Piscataway
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We needed a hotel to use as our base for a 3 day Thanksgiving excursion into NYC. We like Embassy but I was concerned because this one was $50 a night or more less than comparable hotels in north Jersey. Not to worry; it's an older property but it met the Embassy standards. The king mattress we had was outstanding and the bedding quality and quantity was excellent. The room temp controls were new and worked quite well.

The staff really shined here; we arrived at 10:30 AM due to much better than expected traffic and were still allowed to check in. I explained my plan to drive the 30 miles or so to visit Manhattan and was given better advice - take NJ transit's train - and given a good quality local area map showing the station and all local restaurants. The hotel is only 15 mins from the New Brunswick station and is also adjacent to the Rutgers campus. The train connects with local NJ stops and Newark Airport, Secauscus Junction, and finally with Penn Station after about a comnfortable and scenic 40 min ride into the 34th St in Penn Station in NYC, a great way and location to come and go.

I needed to check email and was given a code to use the lobby comuter rather than pay $10 for 24 hrs of wireless. That should be included in the room rate but it is not. The breakfast buffet was excellent (need more whole grains though) for the rare omlette, potatoes, and bacon grease fest I occasionally enjoy while traveling.

My only complaint is standard for Embassy - kids running unsupervised and noisily around the interior walkways on several levels at once creating quite a ruckus. A closed door took care of that soon enough but I'd like to see the staff put an end to kids running around so much.

Local rip-off taxes added about $18 to the confirmed nightly rate but that's New Jersey for you. If you're looking for a family hotel convenient to rail, NYC and easy access from I-287 of the Jersey Turnpike, then this hotel should work very well for you

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Birdstrike

Reviewed August 25, 2007

Stayed at the Embassy Suites - Somerset/Piscataway for two weeks with my elderly mother and son while my mom was undergoing daily medical treatments nearby. The staff was super accommodating, the property is spacious and comfortable, and the location was convenient for our travels.

Since the property is located in an industrial park/office park-type area, it is very quiet during the day. It picked up nicely in the evening and for the morning breakfast, which was awesome.

We chose this property because it accepts small pets (my mom can't live without her dog) and they have smoking rooms. I couldn't find any other hotels in the area where we could do both.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2006

This place is worth it for the breakfast buffet alone. We had three teenagers with us and fit nicely into the 2-bed plus sofa bed suite. The bathroom was small, though.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I just got back from a one night stay at the Embassy. I have to say, my first impression on drive up appeal was a liitle scary because it seemed secluded/abandoned and vacant. I later found out from the front desk that it is in a business district and it clears out in the evening. I got there around 4:15. Being a single traveler, I did not feel scared, just isolated. The front desk was affable and knowledgeable.

Pros: Seemed clean. My room did not have hair or ants in the bathroom. Renovations are good, not above the norm, but suitable. The gym was decent. It was the size of a suite. I got a chance to workout and it was not bad. The hotel is close to the freeway. Shopping strip mall is near. You definitely need a car. There are no buses or trains to walk to. About 4 miles east, you will find Walmart, TGI Fridays, Lowes, Burlington Coat Factory, Macy's, Sallys Beauty, Johnny Carinoes etc...to name a few. Fridge and Microwave were helpful. The managers reception was nice. I was given a coupon for a free drink with choices of wine or beer.

Cons: My room smelled like burnt popcorn, but I did not feel like moving again.... (I moved to Embassy because I did not like my room at the Hyatt Regency). The breakfast was okay, just not at the normal High Level Quality that I have received at other embassy hotels. The handle to get the bacon was broken. It kind of looked thrown together. The juice seemed watered down.

I was traveling on my company's expense, but If I had to go back on my own dime, I would stay there if the price was right.

Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed August 29, 2006

New Renovation Looks Terrible and Felt Very Uncomfortable. We had a meeting in a room that had IKEA Lamps on the ceiling. Staff was rude and little blond sales girl did not stop hitting on my sales team. The food was bland and we will not return here.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2006

First off...let me say my review is from the perspective of a Mom of 4 kids ranging in age from 3 to 10. My husband and I had some business in the area and chose this hotel due to it's atttractive rates. We were pleasantly surprised to arrive in our room which was a 2 room suite. The bedroom had 2 queens and the living room had a refrigerator, wet bar, table, pullout sofa AND a 2nd TV!! There was still ample walking room without the 6 of us climbing on each other!! The bathroom was a nice size, and we found the room to be sparkling clean upon our arrival.

The indoor pool in the hotel is moderately sized, but the kids enjoyed it. There is also a miniature arcade room (maybe 4 machines) but it still provided entertainment.

I was surprised to read a bad review on the breakfast. Again, my expectations may be colored by the fact that my entire family of 6 ate for FREE....but it was delicious and a really nice variety. Was it brunch at The Four Seasons?.....well, no- but it was still satisying and the price ($0) can't be beat!!!

The hotel is located close to several family restaurants as well as the Liberty Science Center (approx 30 minutes away).

All and all- a great experience for us and a real bargain- especially for a family.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank momofsclg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2006

This place would be great if I wanted to do a slumber party with my IBM co-workers. It is very loud, the food was average and the service had to be asked for. I do n ot like clorine smell upon my arrival nor do I think it goes well with my meal in the atrium also. Their internet is also terrible. Lucky for me I picked up the neighboring hotels internet signal so i could get some work done.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piscataway
DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
#1 of 4 in New Brunswick
Extended Stay America - Piscataway - Rutgers University

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset? Share your experiences!