“Delicious Meal, Huge Portions, Uncertain Service”
Review of Don Pepe II

Don Pepe II
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Pine Brook
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Don Pepe II is a family-style restaurant that offers a range of food items and wines. Its appetizer menu includes calamares a la Madrilena, mariscos a la vinagreta, gambas al ajillo, almejas marinera, vieras Don Pepe, champinones a la Espanola and chorizos a la plancha. Don Pepe II serves paella a la valenciana, mariscada en salsa verde and langosta al horne. Don Pepe II offers party rooms for birthdays, holiday parties and corporate events. It provides gift certificates of several denominations. Don Pepe II is located in Pine Brook, N.J.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Our group of 3 businessmen dined on a Tuesday night. We selected the antipasto appetizer, red snapper and seafood/chicken/sausage paella, which were all very tasty and more than sufficient in quantity. Fortunately we had seen the size of the portions, particularly the paella, at adjoining tables and were thus warned not to order one entre per person.
The service left a little to be desired; we had the waiter's attention when ordering drinks, but he didn't check back as promptly as we would have liked. He seemed to have more than a few large groups to serve, which may have played a part, but expending a bit more energy could also have helped.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This place has great food and wonderful service, awesome for the value. The atmosphere leaves a bit to be desired clean but noisy and quaint, could use a bit more el ow room a different decor.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although the service was very slow the food was excellent. We were 4 and each ordered a lobster. The lobster was fresh and tasted great. We will visit again for the great food and hope that service will improve on our next visit.

1  Thank doronbron
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Don Pepe II specializes in Spanish-Portugese cuisine. I've been to the restaurant several times. Each time I ordered the paella. I've had paella in many different restaurants including Barcelona, Spain. While to my taste it is not the best paella I have ever eaten it certainly is good and conveniently located in my area. Portions are huge. Except on Saturday you could order one paella and feed two or as I do, bring it home and have it for the next day. The paella is generously scattered with, shrimp, clams, mussels, sausage and a 1/2 cut lobster served on a bed of flavorful rice soaked in seafood broth. The paella is about $23. As an appetizer I enjoy their signature garlic shrimp. Soups are about $4 and fish entrees run $23-$33. Meat entrees run &17-$35. The dining area has a distinct Spanish ambiance and seating is not cramped. The room's accoustics allow for conversation even if the place is crowded. The staff is well seasoned and are generally attentive. What I do not like is the optional valet parking and the sangria although good could be more fruity but that is my taste.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Delicious seafood offerings. On my latest visit, I had the Mariscada Don Pepe, which is Zuppa di pesce like casserole of shellfish in a tomato and brandy sause served with saffron rice. The Mariscad en salsa Verde is al so good. This sause is flavored with cilantro. Portions are so large that unless you have a huge appetite, you will have something to take home.

1  Thank Jake L