“Doesn't measure up”

Cuisines: Spanish, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I usually do not eat steak out. But, just having returned from a visit to Chicago, where I was taken to a steak house that was not to be believed, I thought I would like another steak house steak.
I asked the waiter to bring whatever steak he recommended. While it was flavorful, it was almost impossible to cut. I don't think I have ever sent anything back prior, but needed to bring the steak's toughness to the waiter's attention. He seemed surprised, handled the situation quite well, and brought a different cut to me. The replacement was tender and good.
In short, the meal was ok, service good, but it doesn't measure up.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went for the rib eye steak, one of their specials for the evening. Excellent, the best steak of the year so far for me. Service was good and the Cabernet I had with it was just right for me. I will definitely be coming back next time in NJ.

1  Thank JulyAid
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am not sure where to begin. My wife and I went with my parents for dinner, and when the waiter told us they had 2-4 lb fresh lobsters for 12.95/lb I was sold. I asked him to steam whatever lobster had the biggest bashing claw, and as we were waiting for our food I was telling my wife that at these prices we should be regulars. Then we got the food. The lobster antennae were about 2 inches long, so she'd been back there a while. The bashing claw on this 4 lb lobster was the size of my thumb. It had obviously lost a fight at some point before getting caught, and a new claw started to grow. When I complained to waiter, he said 'it is natural, it is natural' like that was supposed to mean something. Although really unhappy, I decided to make the most of it and tasted it. Whether more like rubber or grizzle I can not be certain, but this lobster was terrible and after one bite I asked waiter to just take it back, which I have never done with a lobster before. I asked waiter if I could go to tank to pick out another one, and he did not want me in the kitchen...another warning sign. I finally ordered the veal chop, which was ok. The bonefish grill is just down the street from these guys...horrible, horrible lobster - mediocre service - and I will never be going back. Yecccch!

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I use to dine here quite often , my recent visit was a dissaater as I love to order the Colby Double Chops, they were a bit old or slightly going bad from the time they bought them to my table the smell was upsetting. They wanted to make it right but it was a bit late and my appetite had been spoiled.
Good service not great a bit of an attitude is detected...its average to poor average...

Reviewed March 24, 2013

A group of us, who live from PA to NY got together at Don Pepe's- which is a halfway point for us all- and we're pleasantly surprised at how good our meals were! The garlic shrimp was delicious and not overly garlicky, the surf and turf was wonderful - The 10-oz filet mignon perfectly cooked and the lobster tender and flavorful. The prime rib was HUGE and the accompaniments of Portuguese style rice and fried potato crisps were both yummy. The green beans were nothing special and stringy. Then came dessert. The chocolate cake was devine, as was the spumoni. Don't order the cherries jubilee... It was awful. All in all, this place serves up very good steak and lobster dinners at a reasonable price. Our group will definitely be back.