“What a difference a few years makes.”

Fresh Tortillas Grill
Ranked #5 of 89 Restaurants in Phillipsburg
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Fresh Tortillas has been our once per week "spot" for a few years now. We always sit at the same table and we always order pretty much the same thing, me a Veggie Burrito, he a Chicken and Steak Burrito. However, a few things have changed over the years. Initially when you were seated and dining in chips and salsa were placed on the table while you waited. Relatively soon after we started dining regularly that went away. For a while beverages were served in really large tumblers which was fantastic because you never needed to wait for a refill, those too have disappeared. Most recently the sides of salsa and sour cream that accompany your burrito have been reduced in size to the point of not being enough for the meal. All of this we have taken in stride. Lately however there have been a few things that are not so easily overlooked. Most notably treatment of the staff by the owner. The first time I heard a member of the staff being spoken to in a less than professional manner - I was like hey I get it, you can tell people how to do things a hundred times and when they still don't get it it is very frustrating. I'm sure we all experience this sort of thing daily in our personal and professional lives, we just need to choose the way we handle it a bit more delicately because most of us don't own the joint where we work. Then the unprofessional behavior happened again, this time to a customer requesting extra cheese for what I am assuming was at no charge, because I only heard one side of the conversation. Again, the response was understandable but should have been handled differently. This last incident has rubbed me more then the previous few or maybe is simply my response to the collective. Last Wednesday night we stopped in for out pre-shopping dinner I was greeted with a pleasant hello from the server du jour, recently there has been a tremendous turn over in help, this is only the second time that I have seen this particular person. We sat and gave our order right away since we knew what we were getting. We were the only people dining in but the take out was booming. After a few minutes of our drinks not arriving we asked for them and they were brought out right away, our dinner followed shortly there after. From where we are seated we can hear pretty much everything that goes on behind the counter. So when the owner begins to speak harshly to his employee because she hung up on a customer I heard it all. Everything about the interaction was poor, the words and tone were simply uncalled for, again, I can understand being annoyed but if you aren't going to take the time to train someone properly it just isn't going to work. Let's face it, the reprimand more then likely made her extremely nervous which is only going to cause her to hang up on people again. All the while this is going on I'm sitting there eating my dinner with an empty glass. Once the take out orders were under control the owner proceed to sit down with his laptop two tables away. My glass is STILL empty , my meal is complete and we are waiting for our bill. Honestly at this point I feel he should have asked if we needed anything else, how our meal was , etc. He didn't and that just really added insult to injury. The server brought our bill, we paid leaving a decent tip because I felt sorry for her and chances are we will not be returning anytime too soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

How disappointing is about all I can say about this place. I was out on a nice Fall day taking a motorcycle ride in beautiful North Jersey and I punched up eating establishments on my GPS. Being originally from Texas I was happy to see "Fresh Tortillas Grill" come up as one of the choices on the screen. I was even more happy when I arrived to see the words "Genuine Tex-Mex" on their sign and on their menu. I have been looking for good Tex-Mex food ever since I moved to NJ in 2008. I was a little surprised that chips and salsa had to be ordered from the menu and weren't complementary as in most Mexican food places. Other than being slow to take my order, the service was OK. But, to boldly state that this place serves "Genuine Tex-Mex" is a blatant overstatement. I ordered Carnitas (pork) enchiladas and when my order came out it looked more like a big burrito than enchiladas. It was shredded pork inside a tortilla topped with sour cream and diced tomatoes. There was no enchilada sauce of any kind on it and it was absolutely flavorless and devoid of seasoning and spices as were the beans and rice. I don't think anyone in that place has ever been to Texas or anywhere in the Southwest for that matter. I don't mean to give the impression that the food was bad, it was just not what they advertise. It might pass for NJ-Mex, but Tex-Mex it ain't!

I rated it average only because the service was fair and the place was clean, not because of their food.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I can see how the locals might really like this place. I wish I could've tried more of their food. The menu is reasonably priced and the nachos were outstanding. I was not a fan of the shrimp tacos or the fish tacos. The beef was good. My son had the chicken Nuggets and fries and he loved it. My husband said that the chicken tacos were okay. Although I didn't find the food to be awesome, I think I would go back again to give it another try. That is why I didn't rate it lower.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Great food and prices. Everything is fresh. The waiter was nice and attentive. The decor could use some sprucing but overall a good experience.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We have been going to Fresh Tortillas for several years. Nothing fancy here but it is inexpensive Mexican food. Friendly staff that has always provided good service. Take out or dine in you will not be disappointed. Another plus is since my Wife is a vegetarian there are selections on the menu for her. This is a BYOB so make sure to stop at the liquor store before arriving. Again, no candles on the tables or dimmed lights just good food.